“Enthusiastic, Upbeat, and Engaging. Paul is fantastic!”

Tuscan Tour Guide - Tours
Ranked #16 of 344 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Over 10 years ago owner Paul Costa of Tuscan Tour Guide began his small private tour guide company. Since then he has led tours for Gordon Getty, Radio KISS 108 & NECN TV host Billy Costa and thousands of travelers of Royal Caribbean, Disney, Oceania, Seven Seas, Carnival, Seabourn & Norwegian Cruise Lines. Designing every tour to suit the expectations of each couple, family or group has made lifetime memories for thousands of tourists.
Seattle
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Enthusiastic, Upbeat, and Engaging. Paul is fantastic!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

On our recent trip to Italy, Mom and I had only one day in Florence due to logistics. To do it all over again, it would be a 2-3 day stay. Nonetheless, I am so appreciative of Paul with Tuscan Tour Guide. I selected Paul after reading reviews and researching our options. Wow. We were so impressed. Paul met us on the platform at the train station and identified us before we even saw him. He did a great job of identifying our knowledge of Florence (we were newbies) and knew right where to start to help us get the 'big picture' and then layer on the right amount of detail. A few things to note: Paul speaks english perfectly as he lived in the U.S. and was a College Professor. His area of knowledge is Art History and Languages, but he has context for social, political, cultural, and historical aspects at amazing depth. He's been in Italy for something like 30 years. My observation is that he has made Florence his classroom and the curriculum comes alive for those fortunate enough to find him. 4 hours felt like 1 hour. History became very real and he checks in to see if you are tracking and if the pace is right. Ask a question and he answers it fully and then comes back to where he left off. He knows everyone in town and you don't wait in lines. If you are a traveler that likes to learn and be transported back in time in a fascinating way, Paul is the perfect person. And....this is 'the David Master Class'. I knew we'd be seeing this amazing work of art by Michelangelo, but seeing it through Paul's eyes? Fantastic. Guess what he did his thesis on? Mom and I were blown away and, in fact, so was everyone else in the museum who inched closer to hear what Paul was saying to us. Paul is passionate about what he knows and is so generous in the way he shares his knowledge and energy. We took 9 private tours on this trip to Italy. Paul ranked #1!

Collinsville, Mississippi
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“If you love art...”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

...you must hire Paul to walk you through the Uffizi and also to discuss The David. But also, his tour of Florence includes so much more, and he can tailor the tour to your interests. This is actually the second time I have hired Paul. On this trip, we were on a cruise and docked in Livorno for the day. Paul had a driver pick us up: Paolo---he was GREAT! Very funny and a good driver (a plus in Italy). We had a fun time discussing music with him (Lynard Skynard, Rolling Stones, etc...). He took us to Florence where we met up with Paul. My sister is an artist and majored in art/sculpture in college, so we focused our tour on art. Paul has advanced degrees in art history, etc... so he gave us an in depth tour of the Uffizi and of course, the David in the Accademia. We also walked around and discussed Florence history, the Ponte Vecchia bridge. We had time for a delicious lunch, then Paulo picked us up and took us to Pisa for a short photo op. Then we were back to the ship. I highly recommend Tuscan Tour Guide (obviously, since I have hired him twice in the last 2 years). You will not be disappointed! Helpful hint when traveling in Europe: have change available (5c,10c, 20c, 50c, 1 Euro coins) for toilets. This can really become an issue if you only have large bills like 20's.

Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Best Tour. Ever.”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was my family's first trip to Florence (and Italy for that matter). Paul (Tuscan Tour Guide) was recommended to us by a friend so we went ahead and booked a half-day tour with him. Our group consisted of Paul, my parents (55-60), myself (25) and my younger sister (20). Paul began his tour by asking us a series of questions to gauge our knowledge of Florence and to determine what type of tour to provide. We wanted to see the main sites so he took us to the highlights of Florence while painting a picture of what it was like to live in the city during the Renaissance period. I'll admit, I'm not the biggest history fan, but I was extremely intrigued with the history of Florence after this tour... Without Paul's commentary and insight, we would have missed so much history and interesting facts during our trips through the various museums and sites.

I wish we could've brought Paul around during our whole trip to Italy. He gave great recommendations on restaurants to visit and other sites to see. He genuinely wants you to have a fantastic stay in Florence and is definitely a part of why our trip was so great.

If you visit Florence, you HAVE to get a tour with Paul! You won't regret it.

Visited June 2013
Bermuda
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“entertaining and interesting tour guide”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We enjoyed our four hour tour with Paul enormously. He was very entertaining and informative. We couldn't believe how quickly the time passed. We were very glad that we took the tour at the beginning of our vacation in Florence as the information he gave us about its history added greatly to the remainder of our stay. I highly recommend Paul. Best tour we have ever taken.

Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Great Guide & Customer Service”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

When returning to Italy this summer, we knew exactly who to call to book our tours—Paul Costa—after the wonderful experience we had with him in Florence in July 2012. This year we were interested in a tour of the ruins at Pompeii. Paul worked with us via email planning out every detail of the tour, including recommended travel to and from the site. He responded in a timely manner and was very patient with our numerous questions. Paul set us up with a wonderful colleague and guide in Pompeii who was extremely knowledgeable of the site and made it fun to explore. She brought Pompeii to life in an engaging, informative manner.

Paul cannot only deliver a fabulous tour experience in person but he can make excellent arrangements for you in various locations. He is well connected and trustworthy. Paul works hard to make all your experiences in Italy memorable, insightful and fun. We look forward to working with Paul again in the future.

Visited July 2013