“La Gioconda”
Review of Hotel La Gioconda

Hotel La Gioconda
Ranked #379 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Thanks to Trip Advisor we were prepared for the mosquitoes, but not the noise which came in from outside due to the window shutters always open-due to thick cables running through them! Maintenance poor. This "Hotel" is an "Albergio" which means "Inn" Think of it as a hostel, drop two stars and then you will not be disappointed. The central location is excellent if you are sightseeing on foot

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellers09

Reviewed October 12, 2011

A quiet hotel, if your room is not on the street, but one that needs a total refresh. While the room was clean the carpets in the halls and stairs were disgusting. Breakfast was adequate. Florence is small so of course the location was convenient. No elevator and limited lighting. Beds need new mattresses and the tv could offer at least one non-Italian station. Okay for youngsters but adults deserve better.

Room Tip: Go for a low floor, away from the street
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tuktukcanuck
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We recently stayed 5 nights at la Gioconda , via Panzani in Florence. Although it was very conveniently located close to the Duomo and the San Lorenzo area, it offered very little other than basic cleanliness. Everything about the hotel was tired and rundown.The breakfast was very ordinairy, there was no lobby or communal area for conversing with our travel companions,and there were many mosquitos, despite keeping the windows closed.There is a charge for wi-fi and we were charged 5 euros just for asking for the password even though we didn't access the internet. This is not a hotel I would recommend to other travellers.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel and LOVED it! The breakfast included a lot of options but the best part was that the hotel had a deal going where we got 30% off if we stayed more than 3 nights (as our plan was already 4 nights, it was perfect for us. As broke college students, the discount made it possible for us to stay here) =)

The air conditioning worked wonderfully too, which was a lifesaver in the August heat.

The staff provided excellent service- they were incredibly nice, outgoing and one of the night staff members taught us some Italian.

While everything was amazing, the best part was definitely the location! If you want to be in a centrally located hotel, this is the place to go. After spending the weekend in Rome at a hotel way out in the middle of nowhere, this hotel was paradise. We were 2 minutes from the Santa Maria Novella Basilica and train station, and 3 minutes in the other direction from the Duomo. Literally-- we could lean out of our room window and see the Duomo.

It was an incredible hotel and I would recommend it to anyone traveling in Florence.

Room Tip: Room 20 is the room where the stolen Mona Lisa was recovered in 1911.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The hotel is display as 3 stars but an hostel is better. I have booked a 3 stars in order to enjoy a nice holiday with parents and in-law but this hotel was a disaster, better a cheap B&B in Rome.
Hotel says 3 stars, so I was expected to have some confort but:
- shower was just a courtain in the bathroom and/or a dirty tube with no antidrops.
- no hairdryiers available,
- lots of mosquitos and no repellent plugs
- breakfast very poor with a jar of milk (supposely warm) on a small table and another jar of burned coffee (NO ITALIAN TYPE!!!)
- cheap food
- carpet very old and dirty
- air conditioners very noisy.
- The hotel says to have parking but I had to pay 24 € per day!!!
- Plus at 8:45 I went for breakfast and cleaner was already cleaning, so when we come back we had to wait: they should wait i give the key to the porter!!!!
All inclusive with the kindness typical of Italian people (or some of them)!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mezzalaira
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We got an amazing deal on this hotel and therefore I can say that we really got good value for our money. It is a no frills hotel, but is clean and there is A/C in the rooms (which we were happy about). Very close to the city center and to the train station. We enjoyed our stay. It was exactly what we were looking for: a bed to sleep at night once our legs were exhausted from walking all day!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I'd visited Florence as a single guy travelling alone six years back and ended up in La Gioconda because of its price and location. Frankly, I'd booked very late with little research and was happy to have anything at that point. It wasn't the most beautiful hotel by any stretch of the imagination but it was functional, the staff was nice and the location couldn't be beat. I didn't learn until after my stay of the hotel's place in history, so vowed I'd return one day to stay in the famed Room 20. I had that opportunity as my wife and I, on our honeymoon, would be visiting Florence. She's an artist and great appreciator of art history and was very excited when we were able to book Room 20.

The room itself was clean and of suitable size, the bathroom was clean and functional if a little odd, the light was good even if the view out the window wasn't, the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning was adequate (especially for the 40 deg C outside temperatures) and not too noisy. Breakfast was of the standard continental variety - boiled eggs, some fresh fruit, bread and pastries, cereal, juice, coffee. A lift would have been nice, but the stairs were manageable. The location is outstanding, being halfway between the train station and Duomo.

The staff were mostly pleasant with the exception of housekeeping, who apparently wanted us out of the room earlier than our checkout time (they were just plain mean). I suppose other reviewers might be right in questioning the hotel's 3-star rating, but I still felt as if I'd gotten a decent hotel for what I paid for 4 nights' stay. There probably are nicer places in Florence for the money if you do some looking around, but we were satisfied with what we got.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple