“Charmed...”

Marignolle Relais & Charme
Ranked #127 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I found the Hotel Marignolle on Jetsetter.com. Although I was a little nervous about the fact that it's not in the city center of Florence, I was won over by the photos on the hotel's Web site, which described the inn as being sort of an oasis in Florence's hustle and bustle. You can't feasibly walk to this hotel, as it's located on a hilltop served by very narrow roads that are not safe for pedestrians. However, the property is gated and once you are behind the gate, it's like stumbling into another world.

We arrived at the Hotel Marignolle on the afternoon of May 7th. I was feeling a bit tired and irritable from the train ride from Venice. We were greeted by Lorenzo, a handsome Italian man who comes across as gracious and kind. He helped us with our luggage and ushered us into room 3, a beautifully decorated bedroom. After explaining everything to us, my husband and I took a little time to relax. Our room featured lovely Italian linens, a small minibar with reasonably priced wines, a small television with satellite channels (though we never turned it on), and a large bathroom with brass fixtures.

More on the bathroom

The bathroom had only a shower with wall mounted toiletries and a separate WC with a bidet. There were his and her marble sinks stocked with simple vegetable soaps.

The grounds

Hotel Marignolle features beautiful grounds, including a pool on the hillside. You have to go down about thirty steps to get to the pool and it was too cold for us to try it, but I can imagine when it gets hot in Florence, that pool is a very welcome place to unwind. Flowering bushes and a healthy looking grove of trees are near the pool area.

The hotel has a beautiful living room, where there is an honor bar. You can pour yourself a drink, recording what you made for yourself. The cost will be added to your bill. Outside the living room, there's a peaceful courtyard with a fountain. The tinkling sounds of falling water blend with the sounds of barking dogs. Apparently, a lot of dogs live near the inn. I wasn't bothered by the barking-- couldn't hear it in our room, for instance. It just made me miss my own dogs.

Breakfast

A basic breakfast is included in the price of the room. Before you turn in for the night, you are requested to fill out a form letting the staff know what you might want. You can get pastries, coffee, juice, and breads without incurring an extra charge. If you want something more substantial, like eggs or meat products, you have to pay extra. I did get a boiled egg the second day because I like to have protein first thing in the morning. I think I was charged four euros for that.

I had a cappuccino and a warm cornetto the first morning, but opted for hot chocolate the second. If you are a hot chocolate lover, I would definitely recommend getting it at this hotel. It was more like a thin chocolate pudding than conventional hot chocolate that we Americans are used to... and it was delicious! Breakfast is served in a lovely gazebo and you can look at the gorgeous grounds as you eat.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the breakfast itself, except for the hot chocolate. I noticed that besides a couple of cakes and some breads, the spread mostly included commercially prepared, pre-wrapped items that seemed beneath this hotel's star rating. But I have to admit, the gazebo is really beautiful and offers a lovely setting for breakfast.

Trattoria Bibe

I mentioned before that this hotel is not in central Florence. If you get hungry, you can order something light at the hotel. Or you can get the staff to reserve a table for you at the Trattoria Bibe, which is located just down the hillside from the hotel. Despite the fact that the hotel is close, you can't really walk to it safely because of the narrow and busy road that passes by the hotel. However, the hotel has a deal worked out with the restaurant and they will actually send someone to pick you up and take you back to the hotel.

We ate at this lovely place on our first night. A very pleasant French couple staying at the Hotel Marignolle joined us. I have to say, of all the meals I had on our trip, the meal from Trattoria Bibe was probably my favorite. It's a very intimate family owned restaurant with an excellent staff. Our waiter was very impressive; he spoke English, Italian, French, and German flawlessly. And the food was outstanding and very, very non touristy. If you stay at Hotel Marignolle, I highly recommend trying this restaurant if you have the opportunity.

Save money for taxis...

I must reiterate that if you stay at Hotel Marignolle, you need to either drive your own car or budget for taxis, which cost about 16 euros each way. Realistically, you can't safely walk anywhere from this location because there are no sidewalks and the road is both busy and narrow. It's also difficult to access other forms of public transportation. We only stayed two nights, so this wasn't a big deal for us, but if you are staying longer, that added expense could be a significant drawback. For us, it was worth it to stay somewhere not in the middle of the city with all its noise.

Overall

I liked the Marignolle Relais & Charme and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind not being in the middle of Florence. It's especially convenient for those who have a car, as it's near the autostrada. The staff at this hotel is very pleasant and the grounds are breathtakingly beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knotheadusc

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel, located in the Tuscany countryside is a perfect place to stay to explore Florence. We actually stayed longer than expected as my traveling companion fractured her ankle and we had to wait until our travel insurance arranged travel back to the U.S. The whole staff made our stay as comfortable as they could. Even though they only serve breakfast which is very good, extra for eggs and bacon but worth the small price to pay for it, they managed to cook us a light dinner so that I did not have to leave my friend and go hunt for food. The rooms are gorgeous and the bathrooms are beautiful and spacious. We had one of the rooms on the lower level that looks out on a fountain. Breakfast in the morning is served in a glass enclosed space that looks out on the hills of Tuscany. The view in every direction is breathtaking. If you are driving the staff gives you directions to the parking area. Driving in Florence is not easy and it would be worth it to take a taxi in and out of town. Chiara, Sarah, and Lorenzo,son of the owner did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. Run by a family of golfers, who know how to make their guests feel at home. This is the only place I would stay in Florence

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful. If you have a family, there is one that has 3 rooms in it. Some have t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night and wished we could have stayed for more.
The place is beautiful - we had a beautiful spacious room, the buildings and grounds around are exceptional with a great view of the countryside.
The place is close enough to Florence but located in the Tuscany countryside - quiet and peaceful.
One thing to consider - it was hard for us to find and we used a GPS. Better to ask for clear directions from the hotel itself.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Only spent one night here on a business trip, in winter unfortunately so cannot comment on pool or other outdoors facilities.

The room was large, immaculate, and very well equipped. The setting is beautiful, my room overlooked a quiet courtyard, whereas from the breakfast room you had a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside. Difficult to imagine that Florence is just a short drive away.

Food and service were excellent, a great breakfast selection and the possibility of ordering your 'customized' breakfast.

A plus that i have found in few hotels but appreciate very much - instead of the little disposable shampoo bottles, there were refillable soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower. This is a small thing but i appreciate any effort made to rid the world of extra plastic waste :)

The bathroom was very large, with double sinks and a separate wc. Again, immaculately clean.

I probably would not return there for a business trip as getting around requires either a car or taxis.

I would warmly recommend this for family trips, or for couples, or for those who do not feel guilty about spending more time in their hotel than they do sight-seeing ;)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here several years ago for an anniversary trip. We wanted to be close enough to Florence to pop in and out, but we also wanted to be in the countryside for quiet at the end of the day. This was the perfect spot. It was clean, offered and incredible breakfast in the morning, a refreshing pool and wine or tea in the afternoon, with easy access back into Florence for the evening or quick trip to perfect rustic restaurant at the bottom of the hill.

Lorenzo and his family were most engaging and hospitable. I highly recommend this relais to anyone looking for a reasonably priced boutique experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lrogers63
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We (family of 4) stayed here for 5 nights in 3rd week of August, 2012. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We were a little apprehensive the first night about having to get a taxi into and out of Florence but it turned out to not be a big deal and were very glad to be able to come back to our relaxing place in the country after busy days of sightseeing and being able to have a swim in the pool before breakfast (which we liked - fresh fruit and cake) every morning. Lorenzo, a member of the family who owns the hotel personally drove us on two of the tours we did - just us, very flexible (I estimated 90 mins for a walk around Sienna - we actually got back to the car 3 hours later - no problem!), very knowledgable and extremely helpful - both of our outings with Lorenzo were highlights of our entire trip! The local restaurant was great (they will come pick you up and bring you home) and the recommendations for places to eat in Florence were absolutely stunningly fantastic - wish I'd kept notes. We were sorry to leave.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different - we were in suite 10 - probably because there are 4 of us and its large...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Hermeshiker
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have had a marvellous time at this hotel on the outskirts of Florence. It is the home of an Italian family (who actively manage and run it) and with only 10 rooms it is personal and very friendly. Because there are so few rooms there is never a problem finding a sun bed (and umbrella) by the pool. We were taken on a trip during our visit (just us 3) through the Chianti region to San Gimignano by a member of the family. My partner also took part in a cooking class (run by another member of the family) where he learnt some traditional Italian cooking which I am still benefitting from!

They recommended great places to eat (which are usually better AND cheaper than the places you would find as a tourist). We have had some seriously unforgettable moments. It has been more like visiting friends than being in a hotel. I am sure we will be back here - I just hope it's soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family