“Cool!”

Ranked #54 of 440 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This fascinating natural history collection can be traced back to the Medici family. Full of taxidermied animals of all types, skeletons and wax anatomical models, it is a must for the curious, as well as science and history lovers.
Orlando
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cool!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This place would be awesome for kids! I am 27 and it was awesome for me! Had no idea I would find this in Florence on my honeymoon haha. Totally worth 6 euros.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank MothergooseOrlando

• Finnish first
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“My 11-year old son loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I gave this quirky zoological museum a 4 since I would have given it a 3 while my 11-year old would have given it...an 11. Case after case of every animal imaginable, including a few extinct species. I enjoyed the butterfly and beetle room, which my son liked the larger mammals. After your finished with the animals the museum has many rooms of wax human biological models which are extremely graphic, so be aware of that. I might save this one for a rainy day.

Turin, Italy
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Unexpected visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I really recommend you this museum, especially if you have children. Added to the different animals, minutely classifies, there is a whole part dedicated to anatomy, with excellent parts of the body in wax, and descriptions of the XVIII century. Believe me, it is absolutely fascinating and educative!!!

Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Yikes! Hair-raising! Totally loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you have a dark sense of humor (or, of course, if you're a sober scientist or historian), you won't want to miss this place. Thirty-plus rooms are crammed to the rafters with ancient and somewhat threadbare/moth-eaten specimens of the taxidermist's art, and the place features species that you--or at least I--haven't seen before. Like, for example, a deer with fangs. It also includes a 17th-c. hippopotamus that, during its lifetime, belonged to one of the Medici, who kept it in the Boboli Gardens. There are the usual minerals, skeletons, shells, etc., too, but by far the creepiest exhibits are the exquisitely horrifying 18th c. anatomical wax figures--perfect, and I mean *perfect*--used to train medical students. I have a strong stomach, and even I was feeling queasy by the time I left. Utterly fabulous "if you like that sort of thing."

Florence, Italy
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Interesting, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Only go here if you live or are on an extended stay in Florence. Not a place to go if you're here for a short time.