Opera Teatro Auditorium al Duomo
Ranked #292 of 656 things to do in Florence
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Everything about this event and place is false! They advertise a full scale opera, whereas one finds himself / herself in a small, informal auditorium with an orchestra consisting of a piano, a single violoncello, a single viola and two violins! That's all. Just five musicians! And equally few singers! Just when the performance seems to be started, first break! Then, after half an hour the second break! And the third the same! The curtain lifts in around five minutes. So half of the performance is spent in waiting and waiting. The price is the only "high" thing in this event. DO NOT GO! STAY AWAY!

1  Thank Farplaces_70

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The photo of a Grand Opera House is just a false advertisement in my opinion . I should have known from the price ?? But it being informal may be what some it needs to be . After all most all are simply tourists and we do not carry our finest clothes in the one suit case we are allowed on the plane . Now onto the show . Great voices and Preformance period . I did not hear one voice that missed a note . It is what I'd expect at a Italian opera . The performers could all be on stage in any fine opera house in the world . Give them credit for that makes the whole 2-1/2 hour Preformance a big thumbs up .

1  Thank Ciaojimi
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited Florence at the end of November for my wife's 30th birthday. It was a surprise trip and I'd planned a few things, going to the Opera being one of them.

In hindsight, I should have read a few more reviews and got an idea of what the place really looked like, but to say that we were disappointed is putting it mildly.

I paid £50 per ticket to visit a venue that basically looked like a school hall. The 'orchestra' were sat on plastic chairs in front of us and the decor, or lack of it, made it look like an amateur production. The set changes were a joke and took an age - I still don't understand why!

I do not profess to be an Opera aficionado, but I wanted my wife to have an amazing experience, but it was totally an utterly spoilt by the fact there was no effort whatsoever made to dress up the venue and make it an experience for people who had travelled thousands of miles and spent money to attend something that is supposed to be breathtaking and magical.

It's a real shame that I couldn't actually tell you about the performances. I was far too distracted by a) other people either leaving half way through b) people shaking their heads (not 100% sure why, but it wasn't in a good way), or c) that the venue that could have been dressed up at little cost to enhance the feeling and ambience for everyone attending.

Other people may argue that this should have been about the performances and the music. Well I'm sorry to say that from the moment I stepped into the venue and was visually assaulted with beech panelling and blue chairs/curtains, it was all I could focus on.

6  Thank gooner25
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had the wonderful opportunity to see La Traviata when traveling through Florence in October 2012. Small auditorium which was very nice! Beautiful voices and live musicians were great! Nothing like seeing an opera while in Italy! This is a must see while in Florence. I recommend this to everyone that has passion for performing arts.

3  Thank JenStocktonHough