“A Jewel in Firenze”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Following a disappointing evening the night before at Il Contadino I decided to seek out a restaurant purely based on the menu displayed on the front door. As Pensavo Peggio had a favourite of mine, Osso Buco, I decided to give it a try. What a brilliant guess that turned out to be. We were greeted by Fabrizio who was the star of the evening. He was attentive, never in your face, supportive to choices and extremely courteous.

The food was the best I have eaten in Firenze and having eaten a lot in that wonderful city, this is no mean feat to be able to write that line. My friend ordered a Primi which was a type of Cauliflower mousse called Sformatino and I ordered the house made Crespelle Fiorentina, delicious thin rolled pancakes with spinach and a perfect cheese bechamel. My friend let me try his and it was to die for. Mine was out of this world. The mains (secondi) were equally wonderful. The Osso Buco was just perfect and served with a wonderful sauce. My friend had beautiful medallions of pork with sautéed potatoes.

Had the Tiramisu been on the menu that night, alas it was not, I would have had a dolce. Fabrizio was most upset that they had decided not to make it so he plied me with free glasses of Limoncello as a form of apology and even made me drink one more as I left the restaurant. He also promised that if I told him when I next came there he would make the Tiramisu with an added dash of Amaretto just for me.

The bill for two with wine, bread, cover charge and 2 courses came to €53. Now that's what I call outstanding value for a top class meal. Bravo Pensavo Peggio!

1  Thank beaucart
There are newer reviews for Pensavo Peggio

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a lovely evening and the host was so nice we just wanted to come back! Outstanding food! The place is nicely decorated and the atmosphere is nice.

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant was literally just yards from our hotel and how lucky were we! Lovely warm welcome, tasty fresh food and altogether a memorable evening. We had been disappointed by the Spada across the road and it was so nice to find something so good, so close by. Excellent value. Pay them a visit if you're in Florence. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I saw this one recommended and it was near our hotel, I would have probably walk passed had I not read the reviews. It was the best meal we had in Florence, friendly people and excellent food.
I had the tomato and bruschetta to start and subsequently tried it at other establishments none were as good as this one and with the pork and prunes to follow it was a meal to remember.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

After reading the reviews in Trip Advisor we decided to visit this local restaurant.We always had an enjoyable evening, met with a welcoming smile, choice of lovely freshly cooked food ending with a glass of limoncello. We worked our way through the menu never to be disappointed. No wonder we spent so many evenings here!!