“Nice hostel and fair price”

Hostel Santa Monaca
Ranked #224 of 310 Specialty Lodging in Florence
“Nice hostel and fair price”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hostel is located 13 minutes walking from Florence's duomo. The hostel is big, has enough bathrooms, big "living room" and a nice kitchen. It is clean and the staff is nice... And has a supermarket to which you arrive with a 5 minutes walk. Recommended :)

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We appreciate our stay over there, we had a twin room with a private bathroom. We had a good service at the hostel and someone disponible to help us. A good kitchen is available for you if you wanna cook some meals...This is was the good part. But, if you go in a dormitory, be ready to heard a lot of noises because some persons are going there for partying. Also, internet by wi-fi is very slow.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was a nice place, just that. Nothing really interesting. It is really uncomfortable to go up those stairs with your luggage (and I has just one suitcase), I knew about that beforehand but never though it would be that much. Not sure if there are better places to stay in Florence, but I would look for a different choice next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Markham, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

When I stayed here there was a great deal so it was very hard to turn down especially considering it was recommended in the Rick Steves guidebook.
The amenities are good with Wifi, computers, a kitchen, large sitting area, two fridges and a luggage room.
The rooms on the other hand are very bare bones and I was completely surprised to see there was only ONE outlet in a dorm with 8 beds. I also stayed in August so it was brutally hot and by the time my head hit the pillow, I was already dripping in sweat (no exaggeration). Luckily our room was only half full at most so it didn't get too bad but the fan doesn't do anything and the circulation from the window doesn't help either.
I talked to other backpackers and they said it was average, so that's why my rating is 3/5 but I personally wouldn't stay here in the summer heat but definitely would consider it in the colder months when heat is not an issue.
Staff were fairly friendly, reactivating my internet and answering small questions I had. The rooms do shut down between 10-2 but the hostel is open during those times so it's not a big deal at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Straubing, Germany
Reviewed August 9, 2012

i can't think of a day when the staff actually smiled at us, the kitchen is like the one at a festival, big, commercial, smells bad, the common room is a couple of benches thrown in the room, no decorations or atmosphere whatsoever. the rooms have bunk beds, its smelly, sticky and hot, no ac or vans that work. same with the lockers. they are there,but not actually doing their job. the only upside is the location, lots of nice cafes and cheap little stores which food and all kinds of stuff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KTAussie

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hostel is a good location and the staff is nice, but the rooms are subpar and Florence in the summer get pretty hot. The current fans are not enough and the windows are incredibly tiny. They have screens on the windows to keep mosquitoes out...but the screens have holes in them. The Internet is not reliable and you must be out of the hostel between 10 am and 2 pm for cleaning. The hostel does offer cheap bike rentals. There are not enough bathrooms for the number of people the hostel accommodates and we split a cab with another girl super early in the morning in order to leave as soon as possible. I would not recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Some girls on the train from Cinque Terre warned me not to stay here because it was "so hot." But I dismissed them as being hyperbolic. My bad.

I couldn't sleep at all in the sweat-bed. Neither could the other girls. Sporadic cursing in a variety of languages echoed through the barracks (that's how I would describe the room of 22 bunk beds) as we all felt the same frustration. The room is adjacent to the bathrooms, as well, so all the humidity and heat from the showers rolls into the room. I would estimate it was 125 degrees in our room that night. I've never been so physically miserable outside of things that required hospitalization.

I finally crawled onto the tile floor to sleep, because it was the coolest surface in the stifling room. Two days later I came down with meningitis. Probably my own fault for sleeping on the floor, but this heat cranked out by this hostel left me with no alternative.

I paid for two nights, but left after one. At checkout, the host seemed more interested in the soccer game than in my complaints. No refund was offered.

Room Tip: If you're visiting between October and April, this could be a fine place to stay. Between May an...