“Perfect location, fantastic hospitality, clean and spacious room”
Review of Hotel Merlini

Hotel Merlini
Ranked #252 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed in Hotel Merlini for 6 nights and I will definitely stay there again if I ever go back to Florence.

Hotel Merlini is located right in the centre of Florence. Excellent restaurants, cafes, numerous of shops, and main tourist sites such as Duomo Cathedral, Piazza Signoria, Uffizi museum and the local food market, all of which are within minutes of walk from the hotel.

It is run by an Italian family of 3 generation who offered my cousin and I warm welcome and assistance throughout our stay. We stayed in room 11 which in my opinion is the best room in the hotel with large windows on two walls of the room, giving fantastic views of the city centre including the top of the cathdral dome! The room was spacious, well-equipped, clean and not-over-priced. It is located in a safe neighbourhood among other medium-ranged hotels and B&Bs. The hotel is on the third floor of a traditional Italian terrace building without lift. We found the stairs managable and the owner of the hotel kindly helped us with the luggage all the way to our room. So don't let the stairs put you off.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed November 2, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I had limited budget but at the same time I didnt want to stay in really cheap hotels. This hotel was affordable but it turned out to be better than I thought. The room was clean, spacious, with 2 large windows with a great view (you can see the dome of the cathedral). The hotel is family run and they are all very friendly and helpful people. The location is fantastic, you are within 5-10min walking distance from most of the main sights.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I was traveling through Italy for the first time with a friend and picked Hotel Merlini based on its affordable price and short distance from the train station. I was so pleasently surprised by the quality and charm of our room and friendly staff. We stayed in room 11, which had a gorgeous vault ceiling, and view of an adorable flower-filled terrace and the Duomo in the distance. The staff always greeted us with a smile and we felt right at home the second we arrived. One thing I would warn travelers about is that you have to climb about 6 flights of stairs to reach the hotel...so beware if you are carrying alot of heavy luggage! All in all......I would stay here again in a heartbeat-it was such a lovely change after the chaos and noise of Rome.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Albergo Merlini during our trip to Italy at the beginning of October and would highly recommend for a budget option in Florence. This lovely B&B is just full of charm. The owners are extremely friendly and helpful. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the family does not speak extensive English, but we were able to express all of our needs, and they were so kind to help us in any way. They helped arranged an impossibly early taxi at 5:00AM to catch our flight out of Florence.

We loved our room #11! It was spacious & spotlessly clean, had everything we needed. Please see the pictures that I have posted for the glorious view and sunset that streamed through the huge windows. The bathroom was great and newly remodeled with a tiled stand-up shower and bidet as a bonus.

The breakfast room was so full of character and offered pastries/bread, orange juice, espresso/cappucino, fruit, jams/butter, etc..

We were able to borrow an Internet cable, so we were able to get internet in the room for our netbook which was an added, unexpected bonus. We were also able to use the computer in the 'office' to print out our reservations for the Uffizi and Galleria dell'Accademia to see 'David'. We also were very happy with the location of Merlini, since we were able to traverse any locale in 5-10 minutes on foot. It really is silly to have a car in Florence, you will be surprised at how close everything is. Also, we felt very safe in a mostly touristy area, with a large student/backpacker population as well.

The family was so kind to us during our stay;
We loved this B&B, for a price ($100/night!) that you absolutely cannot beat!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OhioArtsygirl
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My friend and I were visiting Italy for the first time. The hotel Merlini was perfect for our needs. The price was very budget friendly for Italy and the owner Rosario was amazinglingly helpful and polite. Our Italian is very lacking and he made us requested reservations at a great restaurant. He was also extremely helpful with a map and directions whenever we required them. The room was not luxurious but very comfortable and had everything we needed. Hotel Merlini is easily walkable from the main train station and in a perfect area of Florence for all the sights. We were able to walk everywhere and navigating was simple after about a day. Florence was one of my favorite cities and although I can afford more expensive accommodations, I look forward to staying in Hotel Merlini when I return!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My wife and I just completed a trip to Italy that included 5 nights at the Hotel Merlini (Albergo Merlini). I suppose the fact that we spent 5 nights there speaks for itself. Very affordable, at about 66 Euro a night, breakfast in a charming upper room with a view of the Duomo's dome, and excellent cafe and breakfast for a nominal cost provided by our gracious host, Rosario Puzzo. The location is very helpful--about 2 blocks east of the train station--and, as with almost everything in Florence, just a few blocks to the sights. Rooms and bathroom were clean, spacious and included internet. We even invited Rosario to visit us in the States!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Great hotel located 5 mins from the main train station and the main city centre..
The owner and family were friendly and helpful and made our stay very pleasant.

The rooms were very clean and tidied daily... the hotel felt very safe.

I would definately stay again and recommend the place to anyone else..

Great value for money..