“Fading Elegance, Plenty of Charm”

Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile
Ranked #138 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Well located hotel within walking distance of the railway station, and many of Florence's attractions. The hotel is an historic building, and the decor retains the charm and elegance of yesteryear. Our room was clean, spacious, with a four poster bed and modern bathroom. There is a lovely internal courtyard where you can have breakfast. Internet was patchy, I had to go outside our room to connect, then it worked just fine. All the staff were friendly and helpful, and we would stay here again. Special thanks to Luana on Reception for her assistance with my technical problem.

Room Tip: Our room had steps down to the bathroom. If you have mobility issues, it may be worth checking this...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank goodfoodlover52
palazzodalborgo, Proprietario at Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for writing such a rewarding positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, the hotel’s special charm and especially our staff’s friendly service.
We very much hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

The worst hotel I have ever been to. Unfriendly staff and unhelpful for example just stood watching while I was putting suitcases in the car with no help offered.

Bizarre room really freaky and extremely unhygienic. Toilets were tiny. More like a cubicle in the room not a proper separate bath.

Four poster bed is more like a 26 poster put together in a rush. Very very uncomfortable and dirty.

Never going there again and I suggest u do the same. I never write reviews but I had to for this one as I can't let people ruin their holiday because of a misguided judgement.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Juni1

Dear Guest,
We are disappointed you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, however though we always value our clients’ reviews, we are surprised at your complaint about hotel’s cleanliness and unfriendly staff. All reviews, as shown on this website, agree on one point: cleanliness and staff’s friendly and caring service.
It really makes one wonder. Constructive critisism is welcome, slander is not.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Three ladies travelling together around Italy and were blessed to have our travel agent book us into this charming Hotel. Our room on the ground floor was ideally suited for a family or a disability person. Our enormous King sized beds with canopies were delightful. Our room opened out to the street but had little street noise and was light and sunny. The staff charming and couldn't help us enough. The walk from the railway station was easily managed with our luggage. My friend has the small booklet from the room relating the history of the building with it's frescos....but I would be back next time I get to Florence. Easy walking to everything we needed.

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor was ideal for a family or anyone with a disability.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colleen K
palazzodalborgo, Proprietario at Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for such a great comment, we are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us, it is rewarding when our efforts to make sure our guests enjoy their stay with us are so appreciated.
We do hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

are the highlight of this place. Location is fantastic and the reception staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming which is exactly what you want when at a hotel, let alone at a 4 star hotel. The hotel is small, yet comfortable and of course very charming (renaissance building built in 1480). Like I said the furnishing, the style of the house and the whole set up make it a nice little boutique hotel. When you see 4 stars do not think your commercial hotels because that is not what you will get. Expect high ceilings, no IKEA furniture and a clean environment.

We booked a double room and i think our only disappointment was the bed. Not that it's uncomfortable but the fact that (like may hotels nowadays even your commercial ones) they are two single beds put together by a double bed cover so it does split in the middle but believe me its not a show stopper for me - just something to point out. Apart from that the room is not a bad size for the location and the building you are in. The bathroom is ok but this is what it is in Italy and in fact for Italian standards its actually rather spacious - the only reason I said 'ok' is the shower but I am spoilt and it really isn't that bad.

Ok here it comes...the negative part - the breakfast. The breakfast was incredibly horrible. I mean the coffee was horrible, the pastry was horrible, the service was terrible (they were busy and the 2 wait staff just did not seem to be able to cope) and I this could be a one off thing but I thought I would just give you a heads up. And look if it isn't as bad as my experience - awesome - then you should give this place 5.

Like many hotels in Florence in peak season, the price may seem a little steep but this is Italy and considering other hotels in the area and the prices they ask - it was good. This place was great because you are close to the train station (max 500m) you are next to the Arno river (800-1km walk) you are basically next door to Santa Maria Novella and 1km away from Piazza del Duomo (Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore) and my favourite restaurant - 'Il Latini' (check out my review on this place - it is a must!).

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Walter B

Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind words of praise for the hotel’s structure and, more important, for our friendly and helpful staff, we are pleased you enjoyed our hotel’s charm. Sorry though that breakfast wasn’t quite to your satisfaction. We do offer a really wide selection of items, the pastry actually comes from a well known and appreciated local bakery, so we regret it was not quite to your taste.
We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming back in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Little hotel with enough facilities for busy travelers.
The room was as website showed in their pictures.
The classic architecture gives a nice style to the hotel and rooms.
Breakfast had only a few options aligned with typical international standards.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
palazzodalborgo, Proprietario at Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.
We are pleased you appreciated the hotel’s style and architecture, and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.
Best regards

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed our stay. Staff was friendly, room was large & clean, breakfast was good, location was convenient to all sights and the train station. If you research, there are plenty of good restaurants in the area (also some terrible ones). We had a lovely view of Florence from our room. Our bed was two double beds pushed together and overall the room could use some updates, but I found that pretty typical for many hotels in Italy. We were able to get a good price from priceline, and would definitely stay here again. We had no issues with mosquitoes and frequently opened our window. We stayed late April, so I'm not sure if the mosquito problem is associated with a particular time of year.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review, it’s rewarding to read your comments especially on the staff who work very hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again.
Best regards

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We arrived at just before 4:00pm (16:00) and our room was not ready as the previous guest had been ill and a late checkout granted. Our response was cordial,and we accepted the offer of coffee & soft drink in the sitting area whilst we waited for our room to be prepared. This took sometime and we were finally granted access after an hour waiting. Never in 40+ years of travel have I had such a disparity between the hotel advertisement and the room provided and most definitely not when making the booking through a leading internet site. No website this one included nor the hotel's website shows any professional photographic representation of the tiny matchbox we were initially provided with, complete with open view bathroom with absolutely no privacy or way of making it so (no blinds, curtains or shutters). After talking to reception staff and lots of "umming and ahhing" as no rooms were supposedly free, the offer of transferring us to another hotel (more disruption) was made. At this point I asked for my money back and stated I would just catch the train home. Staff were polite throughout and to their credit professional under difficult circumstances (it was clear they understood and had experience in this sort of issue, I am sure I am not the first nor will be the last!)

Miraculously a room was found, again nowhere near the size or standard shown photographically but as my accompanying traveller was happy enough with it, we stayed. New Staff member showing the room very professional and pleasant also.

Room was not as clean as the first carpet was worn and dirty looking. Bathroom ok. Room at front on 2nd floor slightly larger. Minimal noise from exterior, street below.

Internal noise - door to common areas does not seal well and Walls between adjoining rooms are paper thin. Entire conversations can be clearly heard and understood -'it was bad enough having to listen to the deliberations of my Australian neighbours (who were not shouting however each word as well as accent could be clearly heard ) about whether to purchase a plate and cart it all around Europe -what was worse was being woken by their return after 10pm the night before and the snoring during the course of the night which sounded as if it were in my room not somewhere else in the hotel!

Breakfast 1 staff running around like a " chicken without a head" and frazzled. Ham tasted slightly rancid and was left as was warm also and was a cold cut. Again staff were fine but under pressure. Others may have misconstrued their manner as less than friendly but under circumstances I can understand they are under pressure to deliver the impossible in the the circumstances.

Late check-out granted and appreciated, again staff professional and pleasant to the end.

Despite the professionalism of the staff (which was the only truly positive aspect) I would never return to thus hotel. Hotel is most definitely NOT 4 stars by any country's definition not more than 2. The location is good but I have stayed in many other hotels in the vicinity of SMNovella/Station for far less €€ with far more. I am so disappointed that I did not return to one of these because I did so purely on the basis of the pictures posted and the one listed on booking.com as representative of my room for higher rate paid. What a misrepresentation!!!! Fellow travellers beware!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank WellTravelledDCM
palazzodalborgo, Proprietario at Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Guest, we are sorry about your negative impression of Palazzo da Borgo, Of course it's the first impression that counts and your stay did start off on the wrong foot... It's quite true that due to our previous client's illness and subsequent late check out the room wasn't ready on your arrival, however as you stated yourself we did offer to find alternative accomodation in another similar establishment, and when this was refused our staff did their very best to look after you also offering refreshments. We do understand that at this point there was nothing we could have done to change that first impression. One thing we would like to point out is that the open view bathroom you mention is kept so on purpose for the view: no one could possibly look in from the empty space miles around as it faces only the church spire and the distant hills and the lovely view is very much appreciated by many of our returning guests, Some consolation is that you did appreciate our staff's courtesy and competence, which are so very important to our guests.
Regards