“Overall not very good”

Ranked #246 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Lisboa
“Overall not very good”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Good things: very well located right in the centre of the city. No need to use the bus, everything is at walking distance. People in the hotel are very friendly. Bad things: The smell of the hotel was terrible. The bathroom was not properly clean. Some rooms are big but others are very small. The breakfast is one of the worst I have seen.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
sydney
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and couldn't wait to leave.
The room we had was on the second floor on Via Nazionale and I can best describe it as depressing. I didn't have any problem with the noise from the street as I could not hear it over the noise coming from the airconditioner. The breakfast room was small and the selection was poor.
The only redeeming quality was friendly staff.

1 Thank plego

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

New York, NY
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Galileo for four days. The hotel was a good value and the location was very convenient (walking distance to all attractions, close to train station, safe location). The service at the hotel (Barbara at the reception) far exceeded our expectations. It was the great service that made our stay at Hotel Galileo so memorable.

NYC
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We were impressed with the size of our room, particularly its spacious bathroom--including what seemed like a luxurious bathtub (compared to other places I've stayed in Europe). The staff was friendly and very helpful--the front desk even helped us call ahead to our B & B in Cinque Terre to get directions, info, etc.

We were able to roll our suitcases there from the train station (a bit annoying on the very narrow sidewalks in Florence, but do-able), and found the location practical--particularly since Florence is small and easy to get across on foot.

My only complaint would be the oddly dingy bedspread and covering on what looked like a fold-out futon in the corner (which we didn't need/use). For the most part, this economical hotel was clean, classy and comfortable, so it was weird to find shabby accents in our room--but it didn't impact our stay or anything.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Moultonborough, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I booked this hotel after finding it in Rick Steves' Florence book. I contacted them online and was able to reserve rooms easily through e-mail.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Santa Maria Novella train station, on a busy street. Because of this, the noise at night, even with the windows closed, can be a little much.

The area of the hotel is safe, but not very picturesque. The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable, and the staff was helpful and cheerful. The breakfast was just okay - nothing special, but a welcome meal at the beginning of a day of sightseeing. You can have an espresso made for you, which is a nice touch.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend a lot of time in the area, or to relax while in the hotel, but it is a good place to stay if you're traveling in and out of the city by train.

• Liked — Location to train station and market.
  • Disliked — Noise and busy neighborhood.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Lansing Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I booked 5 rooms in this hotel 6 months in advance of the date( Nov) I wanted to stay there. When I was booking the hotel they resonded to my emails quite quickly. I verified the cancellation policy and provided them with my credit card. The trip had to be cancelled a few weeks later( April) and I emailed them to cancel the reservations well within the guidelines provided to me by the hotel to cancel at no charge. I was unable to get a response from them. I emailed again 4 days in a row with no response. I know that they were receiving and reading my emails as I have a "read receipt " from my email but they would not provide me with a cancelation confirmation. I find their refusal to respond or provide me with a cancelation confirmation a suspious business practice and would not advise anyone to provide this hotel their credit card number. Now I will have to be sure to watch my credit card bill 6 months from now to make sure they are not charging me for these 5 rooms.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Carol L
Kingston NY
Reviewed March 21, 2008

We stayed four nights at the Hotel Galileo in Florence during March 2008. We found it to be in a great location----------we could walk to everything. The hotel was very clean which is always important to me. It's a basic hotel and the morning breakfast was a nice way to start your day. The price was very reasonable and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a clean, basic place to stay that's within walking distance to everything.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — a little noisy at night because we kept the window open --we couldn't adjust the heat
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple