“Not coming again”
Review of Chiazza

Chiazza
Ranked #306 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I didn't like this hotel at all. First, the shower was right in the middle of the bathroom were everything get wet since it doesn't have curtain. Sometime the water didn't drain well and we end with a mini pool in the bathroom. The room was a little opaque. The hotel was at the third floor, for them at the second floor. The hotel was at walking distance from the Duomo, Galleria and Uffizi. Be careful when you are taking the bus, can get a little confusing, at first we were toward the other way, we return to the Duomo and walk to the hotel.

I will not return to this hotel.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank kariluz

Reviewed June 8, 2008

Spent 4 nights here in mid-May in a room with 3 beds, although we had requested a double room. The room was very large, light and airy. The hotel is far from glitzy but there were so many things we liked about it:

- great central location
- room facing a very quiet courtyard
- great management and employees
- nice breakfast

Right across from the hotel there is a small bakery selling two-bite pizzas with great toppings - if you stay there, try the sauteed onions or the porcini.

Nice place, will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelz0ne
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We just returned from 5 days in Albergo Chiazza - yes it is 2 flight walk up - but this was no problem for me and my daughter - we travel light and are in good-ish shape. The room was comfortable - it was cold when we first arrived, but after the heat came on the rest of the time was fine. It was quiet in general. The staff were pleasant, the room cleaned well every day. There was an a/c and a TV in the room, but we didn't use either - so I can't comment. The beds were comfy, the bathroom was as others described with a shower not enclosed by anything but a curtain - BUT - the water pressure was good and the water nice and HOT - can be difficult to find in budget hotels. Breakfast was good, although after 5 days, I was looking for a little more variety - maybe a banana or cheese here and there - not really a big issue though. The staff arranged to have a cab meet us at the crack of dawn (6am) to go to the airport and thankfully it was there with time to spare. The location was fantastic - we were two women alone and did not feel unsafe once, even late at night. There is apparently a good restaurant across the street, but it didn't look like it would fit our budget, so I didn't try it - it seemed very popular with locals though. In short, they offered us a great price with perfectly adequate accomodations, safe, clean, quiet and hot water which enabled us to visit for 5 days -- bellissimo!

• Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank Pennystinker1
Reviewed February 2, 2008

I was about sick reading some of these crybaby reviews about the Albergo Chiazza...

My fiancee and I styed there in June for 3 nights and had a great stay. On our 2 week trip to Italy, this was probably the best place we stayed. I liked it so much I recommended it to my sister and she stayed too (and loved it). I should mention that we were on a tight budget, but we ddi stay at 3-4 other places at around 80-120 Euro/night and this was the most for the money.

Location:
Superb. Not right in teh heart of the city center (ie, Duomo), but only about a 10 minute walk. Its actually close to the Accademia (David) and not far from Uffizi, either. Plus, it gets you to side of town you might not otehrwise go to. Tucked into an alley way with a real Italian neighborhood feel--it really worked for us!

Staff:
some of teh most pleasant people we met. it wasnt crowded when we were there so we got the royal treatment--like a personal concigere. breakfast was great too

Rooms:
Now this was probably the only place I stayed with AC the whole time and it was great. Much better than a hostle. we had no issues with the AC working, although I do not recall a control unit in teh room. The bed was fine...no real memory of it though. The shower was down the hall for us, but we knew that going in so it wasnt bad (or different from pretty much anywhere else we stayed).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FLguy22
Reviewed May 25, 2007

I booked a room for 5 nights in this hotel back in May for a trip in May. As my plans changed I had to cancel the 5 nights. They were able to charge all amount due. I can't belive that!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank sanrocco
Reviewed October 10, 2006

we have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Chiazza with a group of friends. For a budget hotel it was excellent.It was in a really good location, very clean ,adequate breakfast and the staff were very helpful. We felt extremely safe in the area even late at night. If you are just looking for a place to rest your head at night, nothing fancy, you will certainly not be disappointed in booking the Chiazza. Florence, by the way, is a lovely city.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank dovedale
Reviewed September 10, 2006

My wife has already reviewed this property ("Not as advertised") and although I agree with what she wrote, I think our experience was even worse than she described and would like to add a few comments of my own.

We spent several weeks travelling throughout Italy, staying mostly in moderately priced hotels in good locations. I picked the hotels we stayed in and my criteria were that they had to be within walking distance of the main sights, have air conditioning, and be reasoonably priced. I knew it would be hot and Italy and I knew that air conditioning was uncommon and would cost extra. I was willing to pay extra for it and based on these criteria, I picked Chiazza for our stay in Florence. Although almost all the hotels we stayed in turned out to be great, Chiazza was a disaster.

I had never been to Florence before and was worried about choosing a place that would be too far to walk to the city center. I don't like taking buses, even in the states, so I didn't want to have to use them in Italy, nor did I want the cost or hastle of using taxis. Chiazza's location was excellent, close enough to everything that it was a short walk, but not so close that you hear noisy carousing outside your window. I can't complain about the location except to say that I needn't have worried so much about being that close to the city center-- we could have stayed farther away and still been within a reasonable walking distance.

The air-conditioning, which I viewed as essential when selecting our hotels, did not work at any point during our stay, nor did the staff seem to find this unusual or make any great effort to fix it. In fact, they claimed they HAD turned it on, despite the fact that the room did not get any cooler. We ultimately had to resort to opening the windows. That would have been fine, if it had actually cooled the room (it did a little, but not to the point of being comfortable). Worse, though, was when I started hearing the mosquitos buzzing about our room as I attempted to sleep. Having been compelled to open the windows to cool the room off, we now had to contend with mosquitos. I didn't realize I needed to bring mosquito nets on a trip to Florence. I hate mosquitos. I really, really hate them. Trying to sleep in the sticky summer heat was one thing, but it was impossible to get any proper sleep while I listened to the mosquitos buzz around our room. In retrospect, I probably should have gone to an Internet cafe and found us another hotel in Florence. The possibility of doing that did not occur to me at the time, though.

There are probably people reading this who think I am making a big deal over nothing. For some people, air-conditoning is just a luxury and mosquitos might be annoying but aren't a big deal. But it was a big deal for me and I chose this hotel over other cheaper hotels because it had air-conditioning and because I wouldn't have to worry about spending the night being devoured by bloodthirsty insects. I paid extra for that and didn't get what I paid for.

So, if you don't care about air-conditioning, I would recommend choosing one of the many cheaper hotels in Florence that don't have air-conditioning. If you do want air-conditioing, then you should pick a different hotel, which might cost more but will actually give you what you want. The only person this hotel would appeal to might be a gambler-- who wants to pay extra on the off chance that they might be luckier than we were.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple