“This is the place to stay in Florence.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Giglio

Hotel Giglio
Ranked #127 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Hong Kong, China
“This is the place to stay in Florence.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with my parents and my sister. We were welcomed by the hosts upon arrival and our room was ready even though it was only 11:00am. There was a small elevator on the far right hand corner on the ground floor for sending your luggage up to the 1/F reception. The room was spacious (we stayed in a quad room), breakfast was sufficient, generous and wifi was free! Only 5 minutes away from Academia and the Duomo was a further 5 minutes walk. The hosts and staff were helpful and friendly. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who visits Florence.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for rooms with terra cotta floors instead of hard wood floors. Ther...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dinomandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
menxit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in October 2012 along with our 18 month old daughter. We had a wonderful stay. The staff is fantastic. The minute we arrived, Marco helped with our bags, offered us bottled water, and let me borrow his phone to make a local call to a friend of mine. The breakfast that is included is also a huge plus - it's fantastic - cereals, coffee, eggs, cheese, meats, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. The hotel also has a nice collection of DVDs that you can borrow to watch (it was nice to watch something in English for a change) as well as quite a few toys and board games that entertained our daughter. The location is also excellent. It's a short walk to where all the attractions are, but enough of a distance away from the touristy areas that it was very quiet at night. I highly recommend Hotel Giglio!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank menxit
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Friendly service, good ammenities, clean spacious rooms and an ample breakfast spread. While it wasn't directly in the heart of the city, it wasn't a far walk to the sites either. They even offered us a complimentary ride to the train station, which earned this hotel a 5 rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baldwin, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We arrived at the hotel after being awake for more than 24 hours at 10:30 AM Italy time, a little jet lagged and stressed out. Marco met us at the front desk and he and his staff could not have been more helpful. While our room was being made ready, they made us feel right at home. Marco mapped out the sights on a map that proved to be invaluable during our stay in Florence. The hotel's location is great and in walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. The breakfast was great and we loved having cappuccino every morning. When I mentioned to Marco that we were there to visit my daughter who was doing a semester abroad in Florence he told me to have her come for breakfast. What a nice touch. The rooms were spacious and clean. We would absolutely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a small tipical florentine one, located in a street with several nearby restaurants and 10 minutes walking from the Duomo. The service is friendly and perfect in all the details. Coming back to Florence I'll be staying on this charmly hotel again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Radford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My sister and I, 2 ducks out of water, picked this hotel for our stay in Florence with the help of the trip advisor family! I was not disappointed. The small family owned hotel was charming with its 15 foot ceilings, big heavy key that had to be "turned in" whenever you went out, and the antique wardrobe. The rooms were clean and they even found CNN for my sister so she could watch when we came in from shopping.

The hotel is off the main drag but still walking distance from everything. They were fabulous with answering the million questions we had....I know we worried them to death.

The mornings were the best with the cappuccino's at the little bar or the huge breakfast (which saved us some euros).

Remember there is now a city tax at every hotel of a euro each night x how ever many stars the hotel has earned so 3 each night here. There is some noise so I uploaded an app on my iPad to block sound and we slept great, sometimes too great!

My city map was well marked up with a highlighter and tips. They do not have a hidden agreement with any local business...they just want you to have a great visit and come back so trust their recommendations.

If I had to complain about anything it would be the lack of an airport shuttle somI am splitting hairs big time! Go!

Room Tip: Bring a device for noise cancellation and don't forget the converters!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda C
Bavaria, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel really earns its 3 stars. I would even give it a fourth star for the amazing hospitality, kindness, and focus on guests' well being. The owners are such great and friendly people!

I arrived late on a weekday and didn't want to explore the environs and look for a restaurant. While the hotel does not have its own restaurant, the receptionist organized a kettle of tea and a yoghurt for me.

The fourth star would also be justified by great breakfast and the decor in the breakfast room.

The hotel doesn't look so great from the outside, as it is integrated into a regular set of buildings. Once you go up one flight of stairs (elevator is also available), you do walk into a hotel with a reception and a welcome area.

Apart from that, it is clean, rooms are not too small (for 3 stars) and it is kept in relatively good shape, especially if one takes into consideration the fact that staying in Florence means staying in old architecture.

*** The hotel does not have a swimming pool but I don't know how to undo the ranking on the swimming pool, so it's included in my review BUT THE HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE A SWIMMING POOL***

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business