“Worst hotel ever”

San Giorgio e Olimpic
Ranked #249 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I spent 3 nights in this nightmare. Only good thing about this hotel is its location. Anything else is substandard. Dirty wallpapers and rooms, mouldy bathroom, disgusting shower head and the free wifi doesn't work. Not even in the lounge. Someone mentioned the dinner lady who serves the breakfast. Yes she does mumble all the time and not nice at all.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank P P

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel only for one night.Easy to find.Hospitality was really great.But, we didn't knew, we have to pay parking, in a near parking place for 26 E a day.Hotel rooms are not well cleaned, so i could'nt take shower, it was so dirty for me. My wife did. Location is great, so you can see a lot of places that are really near.Also, for late night walking, you dont need any transportation to return back in room.I could'nt also sleep well, it's kind a calustrofobic for me, and a personal fear that nothing is not clean.Breakfast disaster.Only one old lady serves all guests, and mumbling something all the time.I couldn't eat anything except Fruit Youghurt. For one night it's acceptable, but i was actually happy when we left.
To be honest, hospitality of people on reception desk is really great.
I would never stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: aks for a room with real window !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and again we were not disappointed. It is easy to find a very short walk from the Santa Maria Novella rail station and central for all the historical locations.The staff as always were friendly and helpful.The room was large and clean with a lovely little balcony. The bathroom again clean with fluffy white towels and lots of hot water. Breakfast has a good choice to which you can help yourself and my young grandson enjoyed most of it. If you want a hotel that is central, clean, friendly and value for money you cannot beat this one. We will defintely be back again for another short stay in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M K
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Good value for money.
Excellent location. Three mins walk from the train station.
Comfortable bed. Toilet was clean.
Breakfast was good- croissant, tea, coffee, juice, yogurt, cheese, prunes, peaches, and etc.
Free wifi only available in the lounge which can be quite inconvenient.
Free luggage storage after checking out which was very helpful :)
Overall quite good :)

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank littl3misSv
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the San Giorgio. The room was spacious, the bathroom was large enough--I am tall and had no problem with the location of the toilet next to the shower-- and the armoir was roomy enough for both my clothes and my husband's clothes. The buffet provided an assortment of goodies--boiled eggs, granola-type cereal, meats and cheese, rolls, croissants, and juices. My husband did enjoy the decaffeinated coffee--some of the best he has ever tasted.

The hotel is in a good location. It's within walking distance of just about everything one needs to see. The shopping, though, was really a plus. There were tons of small restaurants, trattorias, tavola caldas, and cafeterias about. There is an ATM--Bancomat--right outside of the hotel, and there is a laundromat about two blocks away--it stays open until 10pm. The hotel is located near the train station without being too close and being affected by noise or by people--we really appreciated being able to hop a bus or a train and not have to spend money on a taxi to get there. The bus station is next to the train station--easy to use and very cheap.

We found this hotel to be perfect in every way--from the old-fashioned telephone booth, the winding hallways,to the helpful staff.

We would stay here again!

Room Tip: There is a lift so don't be worried about getting a room on the third or fourth floor. Our room...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eurotraveler53
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here as my wife stayed here a few years ago when she was single.Conveniently located, walking distance to most landmarks. On check in, staff were helpful and pleasant. Our room was clean, however had the smallest bathroom we had seen. The problem was the glass shower screen. It opened on the corner meaning you almost had to soap yourself up to get in as the opening was not wide enough and I am not a fat person. My wife scolded herself as she turned around, knocking the mixer tap to full hot. Very easy to do due to the lack of space.This shower screen also meant you could not sit on the toilet as your knees bump in to it. I ended up using the bathroom at the end of the corridor. They need to replace the screen with a curtain and all would be fixed. Breakfast was fine, lots of fresh produce.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is conveniently situated very centrally, near the main railway station, but is in a quiet side street. The nearest landmark is the Hotel Baglioni - stand in front of it and look to your left and you will see 2 streets...San Giorgio is at the near end of the left most one. You may even see its projecting sign.
It is a very basic hotel, television and phone in room, but no clock or kettle. Air conditioning is just about adequate and not too noisy. Don't expect a view as many of the rooms look onto a little courtyard at the back, but at least you would have no traffic noise. Breakfast is basic, served between 7.30 and 9.30, cereals, whole milk, croissants, hard boiled eggs, ham, flavoured yoghourts, tinned peaches, prunes, tea and coffee etc.
I found the front desk very helpful and they went to some trouble to find me the easiest route to a water park (Norcenni Girasole Club Via Norcenni, 7, 50063 Figline Valdarno) where we had a wonderful day (take some photo ID if you try it or you won't get in) and they were also helpful suggesting restaurants, calling taxis etc.
I didn't pay much at this hotel and I didn't get that much, but it was adequate. As I left I had to pay 3 Euros per night city tax.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family