“Great food, wine, decoration and service, but dishes are too small and expensive”
Review of Il Santo Graal - CLOSED

Il Santo Graal
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Top-notch raw materials, memory and contemporary taste.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The food is great, it is well done, tastes good and is well presented. The place is very beautiful, like a cellar with aparent bricks and door arcs. The problem is that the dishes are too small, if you are very hungry, you will have to order two of them, or eat a lot of bread. During my trip, I found uncommon that restaurants in Italy serve that small dishes. Small expensive dishes of great food is what you get, but when I go to the restaurant I want to eat well, not a lot, but I want to be satisfied with one entree and one dish, and it did not happen there.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Lovely clean and friendly restaurant serving delicious food. After working up an appetite walking around the Boboli Graden, we had a perfect lunch at this lovely restaurant. The service was friendly and the food satisfying. Italian sausage and beans at just 8 Euros was filling and delicious. Also it got very busy and many potential customers who walked in off the street had to be turned away. I would recommend booking in advance. Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

For our five day stay in Florence at the beginning of October 2012, we rented an apartment on Via Romano (which is the same street as Via Guicciardini, the main drag straight off the Ponte Veccchio; it changes its name as you pass the Pitti Palace). Right downstairs was a relatively new restaurant, il Santo Graal, 70r Via Romano, a less than 10 minute walk from the bridge. What a wonderful surprise! A varied sophisticated menu; great service; a warm atmosphere, and (most of all) fresh ingredients and quality cooking. We've had many enjoyable dining experiences in Florence but this was the best. My wife and I shared a salad and a little pasta dish -- delicious -- and then she had baked duck and I had veal scallopine. We each had a glass of the house wine -- she had white;I had red -- and the house wines were great. Since we tend to eat earlier than the native Firenzians, we had the restaurant to ourselves when we first walked in but, by the time we left, it was full and most diners appeared to be locals. No need to speak Italian -- the menu and wait staff are bilingual -- but a plus was the waiter's real patience and helpfulness as my wife tried out her beginner's Italian. Prices were fair -- nothing that good is going to be cheap -- but the best part was the authentic quality of the menu, the cooking, and the overall experience. And, oh yes: the fact that we lived upstairs was a plus. We can't wait to go back to Florence and, wherever we stay, il Santo Graal will be first on our list of restaurants.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Made a late booking change on a busy night from 2 to 4 people, no problem. Service was professional but personable. Menu was divided between Tuscan traditional and general Italian, with a good manageable selection and explanations as required. Ambiance is modern, hard urban edge, but you are in an old building, a great style blend with good use of the building layout to divide diners ( a group in another section). Seating and table layout is uncrowded. Good wine list at reasonable prices. Mixed nationalities at our table enjoyed all the food served. Il Santo Graal is a very good choice in its area, much better in our experience than another this side of the Arno, which appears to enjoy an undeservedly high rating.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've been in Italy for a little over a week and Il Santo Graal has been our best dining experience to date. My wife and I shared everything, starting with a selection of anchovies prepared four different ways. This was follwed by paccheri pasta with octopus sauce, peci pasta with rabbit and olive sauce and finally a beef chateaubriand. Wine is availabl by the glass and we had a 2008 Verdichio with the first two courses and a very nice Masi Campofiorin de Veneto with the second two courses. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I would definetly return to Il Santo Graal. Reservations are accepted and it would be prudent to make them.