Review Highlights
Its a must incredible collection

More than just the famous statue of David, absolutely the most art, statues, musical instruments... read more

Reviewed April 25, 2018
rj_watters
Braintree, United Kingdom
Smaller than expected

This is a great gallery but much smaller than we expected especially after earlier visit to Ufizzi... read more

Reviewed November 4, 2017

from $33.70
from $67.40
from $66.30
More Info
All reviews small museum musical instruments famous david the main attraction plaster casts reserved tickets statue gallery euros artwork
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Michaelangelo's David is here and it's fun to see in real life. Is the full museum worth ?11? Probably not, but as a true tourist you can't visit Florence and not see this guy.

One reason why Michaelangelo's David is so impressive is the presentation. It is located in the center of the gallery, below the dome, with plenty of natural light on it. This set up makes it appear larger than life. Also, the metal detectors and photo ban make everything seem super important.

There are several other Michaelangelo sculptures here and they are unfinished. It is neat to see these works in progress.

The reservationless line can be long, but we went at 4pm and got in within 30 minutes, no problem. The staff does a good job at crowd control, so you'll appreciate the wait once you're inside the spacious gallery.

Again, the gallery is probably not worth ?11.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Seeing the David is impressive and recommended for people visiting Florence so that's worth a visit to the Accademia, but other than having the David, IMO the Accademia was the least impressive museum of all the ones we saw in Italy. If you only have a day or two in Florence, I'd skip it entirely. First off the lines to get in are monstrous and disorganized as you can imagine with everyone trying to see David. Even if you book ahead online or through your hotel you still have to stand in line to pick up your actual tickets with your voucher and then stand in another "reserved" line to get in. If you don't reserve your tickets ahead of time don't even bother going! The general non-reserved line stretches around the block and moves like molasses--I felt sorry for those people baking in the sun.

The room with David is a cluster. See my review of David for tips on avoiding the camera police at the Accademia. It would be great if there were less people or more viewing space to stop and and really enjoy the masterpiece, but unfortunately that is simply not the case. After awhile we just had to get out of there because it was just too uncomfortable. The upside is since everyone is looking at David the rest of the museum is relatively empty even though it is small. The artwork and sculptures are nice but there was very little in the rest of the collection at the Accademia that was really compelling. To this, I'm sure art history majors and connoisseurs would object--so apologies if you are one. For myself, I found it mundane in comparison to say the Uffizi. David is so impressive that I'm glad I went, but I'd probably skip the Accademia next time I'm in Florence.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was absolutely incredible. The statue of David is breathtaking and well worth any inconvenience to see this work of a genius. I was absolutely speechless. To think this statue came from a block of imperfect marble. A must see.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Statue of David is completely breathtaking. One piece of stone and the attention to fine fine details is completely stunning. Watch out though because the queues start as early at 0830 so, if you can't get there earlier I suggest you a) get an early train/start and book a Timed Ticket from the nearby Ticket Office or b) book on-line. Timed tickets are the only way to manage Florence or else or you'll spend hours in the heat and the queues of Florence.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Two words...The David! Words can't describe how amazing this statue is. Breathtaking! We bought our tickets online about a month before our trip for a small fee. There was an extremely long line that wrapped around the building. Our travel time is precious, so we were happy to pay the fee. We had to go across the museum to the ticket office where we presented our vouchers and were given our tickets. We then had to wait in a line for about 5 minutes before getting in. Besides, The David, you will enjoy many more beautiful works of art and historical items.