“Good only for David.”

Ranked #83 of 647 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was just at the Accademia last week, and it was one of the top highlights of my week. The museum seemed very hidden to me. Even with directions from a local it seemed difficult to find. It's in a plain (for Italy) building that is very unsuspecting. We did not have to wait in line, we walked right in, through security (scanners and such), and up to the ticket window. I had read that during the busy season it is recommended to call in advance and make a reservation to avoid the line, I did this just in case but found it to be unnecessary for this time of year. The ticket agent didn't even ask for my reservation number. There are quite a few pieces to look at here, even an instrument museum attached, but David is really the only reason to go. It was inspiring to see up close and in person. You can actually get quite close. There are benches all around to be able to sit and take it all in. It was disappointing that taking pictures was prohibited, but so many people were doing it anyway. I'm not sure if they didn't see the signs or if they didn't care, but the only consequence they faced was a plain-clothes guard yelling "no photos!" after they had taken the picture. He didn't even make them delete the photos. The rest of the museum was not exciting, we quickly walked through. I think we paid 10Euros each to get in, and it was well worth it to see David.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Take the time to consider "David" -- read up on it before you go to see it to broaden your experience. Then, tour the rest of this fine museum, seemingly filled with Michelangelo's work. You won't regret the cost of a biglietto.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I visited using the €50 Firenze card so did not have to queue or pay any booking fees - highly recommended if you are in Florence for long enough to get your money's worth. The Accademia is not that large but does contain some wonderful things - of course the statue of David and upstairs, the Accademia is quiet, peaceful and full of beautiful art, wonderfully displayed. There's also an excellent museum of musical instruments. You can't take photos in the Gallery, but the curators have a sense of humour and have provided a kitsch, plasticised David in the little garden, and you can have a picture with this. So if you are a fan of Michelangelo this is a must

1  Thank 894robertj
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The queue might seem small but it doesn't move. We waited for three and a half hours and paid 11 euros each. We could have pre-booked or fast-tracked for more than twice the price. You cannot take photos inside although many attempt to capture the statue of David especially as it is the only thing in the museum apart from a few 13th and 14th century religious icons. We were back out again with 20 minutes. I don't know why photos of David are not allowed as it is on it's own with no other art. You may visit this museum to tick a box but frankly it's not worth it. There are replicas of the David statue around the city and the other main attractions such as the Palazzo Vecchio, the Uffizi Gallery and the Pitti Palace are much better value for time and money.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was excited to go see Michelangelo's David but was unprepared for just how stunning this piece of art is when you're standing in front of it. This was easily the most stunning piece of art I've ever seen and would not have cared if it was the only piece in the entire building, it's that fantastic. The lines are scary huge, so you must have a reservation or you'll waste the day waiting, but it is worth every penny to get inside and see this.