“Back for my third stay”

Hotel Tornabuoni Beacci
Ranked #130 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Love the old world charm of this well located hotel in Florence. You can base yourself here and walk everywhere. You can also find some great restaurants just west of the hotel. The staff is great. They just doubled the number of rooms since my last visit. I highly recommend the experience!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Globalphile

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had a lovely 5 night stay in Room 307. The room was very nice: comfortable, spacious, clean and nicely decorated with antique style furniture and wooden floor - the bathroom was excellent, huge sink, very good shower, and really nice complimentary toiletries. The room was quiet and at the back of the hotel as requested, due to the road works on the main road outside the hotel. The location couldn't have been better, just 5 minutes walk from the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, and the Uffizi, etc - very central.
The only slight downside was the breakfast, which was nothing special, but adequate. This is one area the hotel could work to improve - for example, by having the waiters come over and take your order for coffee when you arrive at breakfast, rather than your having to wait to attract their attention, by which time you've nearly finished your breakfast!
We tried to have breakfast on the roof terrace once, but found the tables had not been cleared from the night before and were covered with glasses and ash trays, which was a bit disappointing.
Apart from these small issues, we would certainly recommend this hotel - it certainly has character, and I loved reading the old guest books displayed by the breakfast room. The staff were on the whole helpful and friendly.
For eating nearby, I would recommend La Bussola, a small restaurant on the Via Porta Rossa just a few mins walk from the hotel, and for gelato, the Gelateria Santa Trinita just over the bridge of the same name (turn right as you go out of the hotel and walk over the bridge).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen1039Leicester
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The balcony for breakfast is worth the trip. We watched the moon set over Florence at Midnight while the bells where chiming in the churches from the roof top terrace as well. Excellent location. Breakfast very good. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LPT224
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had a wonderful 4 night stay in Room 213. This room is a bit quieter than being on the main street side and looks out to a cathedral from 1300! Spacious room, nice large bathroom. very comfortable & spacious. The staff speaks wonderful English and is always pleasant and helpful. Complimentary breakfast has many offerings and is very "European" with fresh fruit, cheeses, ham slices, yogurt, juices, hard boiled eggs....Cappachinno is available-- just ask.
VERY centrally located for easy walks to wherever you may want to venture.
The rooftop garden has a lovely view--enjoyed cocktails up there before dinner a couple of evenings!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AHACharleston_SC
Reviewed August 30, 2012

After careful and thorough research of Florence accomodations using the TripAdvisor's community of travelers' reports, I booked, without hesitation, a four night stay at Hotel Tornabuoni Beacci. My requirements included a centrally located establishment in a safe area that included breakfast, a nice view, an exterior area or terrace, air conditioning (we traveled in mid July) at a fair price for our family of four. Hotel Tornabuoni Beacci hit each of these marks beautifully. We were given an enormous room (#3). It had high ceilings and two sets of large windows that we could open to view the Florence roof tops, the knob of the Duomo and the colorful bustle of Via de Tornabuoni below. The air conditioning worked fine and we felt comfortable at all times in our room. The common areas did not seem to have AC which we experienced as the norm in Italy. In this particular room the internet wifi worked consistently well. Our room was at the end of the hall from where breakfast and Harry’s Bar was located. Very convenient.

Breakfast in the spring to autumn months can be taken on the open air terrace with breathtaking views of city. It was the absolute highlight of the establishment. I had to pinch myself every morning to believe this was MY Florence experience. After giving your coffee order to the attendants, you can choose from a buffet of sweet buns, breads, cereals, yoghurt, fruits, cheeses, hard boiled eggs and juices. The attendants bring your coffee order to your table. One could also eat inside.

I am spoiled by American hotels that allow me to make brewed coffee in my room or have it on hand 24 hours in the lobby. I need my fix first thing in the morning. I think perhaps this is not the custom in Italy because none of the hotels we stayed at offered it. I packed Starbuck’s Via, non-dairy creamer, sugar as well as a mug and stirred it with almost scalding tap water to get me through. Sacrilege certainly in this land of some of the best coffee in a world but c’est la vie!

I would also recommend asking for more pillows because the ones offered are thin. I doubled mine over but never thought to inquire for extras.

As others have commented, this isn’t a cookie cutter hotel. For those who enjoy immersing themselves in a uniquely European experience I’d invite them to try this hotel. For less than $55 per day, per person, including a full and filling breakfast, we were steps from the breezy Arno River, the swankiest shopping district and the Uffizi. Leave your key and your cares at the front desk with one of the amiable and multilingual concierges and enjoy all the wonder and magic Florence has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank iSightC
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. I chose a deluxe room and was very pleased with room 213 (this room gets almost full free wifi signal). It was a very large room with beautiful antique Florentine furniture and decor. The bathroom was large, clean and well equipped. The room was also had adequate air con which was essential as it was 39 degrees outside during the day!

The hotel is in a fantastic location and we were able to walk to everything including Piazzale Michelangelo. The train station was only a 10-15 min walk away. If you have a small suitcase then it worth walking rather than getting a taxi.

I personally thought the breakfast was perfectly adequate. There was a selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurts and croissants (choice of jam butter & even Nutella!) on offer. Tea, coffee, orange juice and water all provided also.

The rooftop terrace was beautiful day or night and we used it regularly (I actually proposed to my fiancé on the upper part of the terrace!). If you plan on eating breakfast on the terrace then beware of the pigeons. To be honest they won't bother a table of 2 or more people and will maybe only walk around your feet. I would suggest taking your tray and plates back into the bar area once you're finished as that is when they will go mad for scraps of food.

Finally, the staff. I have nothing but compliments for every staff member I encountered. They were all very helpful and polite.

Some people have mentioned outdated furniture etc but i think maybe some do not realise that it is a Florentine styled hotel. The furniture in my room was not old, it was antique. It wasn’t falling apart and everything was in working order.

Room Tip: Pay a wee bit extra for a deluxe or superior room. Room 213 was nicely decorated, quiet and had grea...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in a gorgeous room, though far from the entrance. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and we even got into our room two hours early. The breakfast was tasteful and enough with fruits, baked goods, orange juice, yogurt, coffee, cappuccino, and tea. The rooftop area was gorgeous, but my wife and I didn't want to wait extra time for tables to clear for our breakfast outside--so we ate inside.

The hotel is a 15-20 min. walk from the train station (Firenze C.le) and not a bad walk with luggage. The hotel is in excellent walking distance to most of the main attractions in Florence (1 mile at most to the Academy Gallery).

Everything was clean and appropriate for an Italian-style hotel. I will warn you, if you are unfamiliar: "air-conditioned" in Italy is not the same as American air-conditioning. In fact, the air conditioning in restaurants and hotels, including this one, may seem more like a slightly cool fan blowing. In the UNA Hotel in Rome (see my review), we had some of the best AC of the Italian portion of our trip; over the course of two days, with the thermostat set at 17C, the temp dropped from 27C to 25C. This is common, perhaps, except in American/UK hotel chains that would have market reasons for better AC.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple