“Perfect for Venice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #233 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Perfect for Venice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for four days and although the breakfast wasn't as good as some we have had, it was perfectly nice for us. Our room had a balcony but unfortunately we were unable to use it due to the awful weather this year. It is in a near perfect location for all the sights but is quite quiet (we stayed in Santo Spirito square last year , noisy there!) so this was a change. In our opinion the hotel is good value, clean, friendly and very historic. There are stairs to climb but Florence is full of steps, if you don't want to do steps I might suggest Florence is not for you anyway!
Overall a lovely place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lesley C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The location is not bad and you can walk to the main Florence destinations within 10 minutes. The cost is maybe a little higher than I'd expect from this hotel, though. I don't mind the stairs but the hotel is located on an upper floor of what looks like a random apartment building. The entryway and stairs actually reminded me of a public school I attended in the US - very old and bland. If I could give 2.5 out of 5 instead of 2 or 3 I would do that, so instead I rounded up to 3/5.

The reception area of the hotel itself actually looks pretty nice - much nicer than you expect when you are first climbing the stairs to get there. We passed a confused couple on our way in who seemed to be unsure of whether a hotel could really exist in this building. The reception people were very nice and helpful, although for some reason check-out took 15 minutes.

My room was the biggest disappointment of this visit. Many reviews talk about lovely rooms but mine was not one of those. I don't need hot tubs and velvet sheets, but I would like non-cracking paint on the (almost empty) walls. There also seemed to be sawdust or something like it under the mattress on my bed and around the floor, which was quite mysterious. Maybe the sawdust on the floor came from the windows, which looks like they would fall apart any minute. The shower was also not an enclosed structure, just a drain on the floor, so when you take a shower the entire bathroom floor becomes wet/dangerous.

The walls were paper thin so I could hear everything from a neighboring room and the hallway. Some examples of what I could hear: the zipper on someone's luggage, plates in the dining area down the hall, people talking at seemingly normal levels (well enough to understand what they said sometimes), etc.

By the way, some people recommended facing a garden (I remember reading about a terrace somewhere, we didn't get one of those). Each morning a truck drives through the garden nursery and it sounds like a gas-powered lawn mower is driving by your window.

Room Tip: Some people recommended facing a garden or garden nursery. Each morning a truck drives through the g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DirkStrongguy
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Annalena last June, the night before we returned to U.S. from our annual trip to Italy. Our double superior room that was huge, filled with antiques, including a large mirrored armoire, a divan, and a nice table and chairs. There was even a fresco on the wall! The bathroom was also large with a good shower. One of the high points for us was the terrace outside our room, it is quite spacious and each room has its own table and chairs where you can sit and sip a drink and gaze down into the beautiful Giardino Corsi gardens next to the hotel.

The hotel is located in an older building so to get to the rooms you must carry your luggage up three flights of stairs. This might be a problem for some, but you can also arrange with the hotel to have a young man there to assist you. The reception area contains the front desk along with a bar and tables where breakfast is served. It is well appointed with antiques and artwork including a beautiful marble statue. Although we left too early to have breakfast, our understanding is that it is a typical Italian colazione, with coffee, breakfast rolls and fruit. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful; they made us drinks that we could enjoy on our terrace.

The hotel is located in the Oltrano quarter on Florence’s left bank of the Arno River. It is much quieter here that some of the more tourist-laden areas on the right bank near the train station and the Campo del Duomo. Across the street from the hotel is an entrance to the Boboli Gardens of the Palazzo Pitti. The main attractions of Florence’s center are all within walking distance and there are a couple excellent restaurants very close to the hotel. Trattoria 4 Leoni (Quattro Leoni) is very good Italian cuisine—when it’s warm try to get a table outside to watch the scene in the piazza. Trattoria Borgo Antico is another great place to sit outside on the Piazza Santo Spirito and enjoy a pizza or a plate of pasta.

Hotel Annalena is a wonderful alternative to the more glitzy, expensive hotels in Florence. It is in a former palazzo built in the 14th century and has a great deal of history, which can be found on the hotel’s website. It is old, but the rooms are well-maintained and it is wonderful to sit on the terrace and what it must have been like to live in this building over the centuries. For us, it is the perfect Italian hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband booked this hotel on short notice after earlier plans fell through. Unfortunately, because of last minute arrangements, we didn't do enough research, and faced some surprises. We arrived after dark, and parked illegally on the narrow street to check-in and unload luggage. City buses were barely squeaking past us - scary! My husband came back to inform us that there were three flights of stairs to climb. As we are all mid-60's to mid-70's and one of our party with a pace-maker, we were not prepared to carry our luggage up. Fortunately, there was a young man available to help us. He first rode with my husband to find the parking garage - the one nearby was full and they had to go quite a distance and walk back. This left the three of us waiting in the unheated, unsalubrious foyer for about 30-minutes, as we couldn't leave the luggage unattended.
Our room was comfortable enough for the price - 91 EU, but our friends had a very small bathroom and the shower "cubicle" had only a curtain surrounding it - and no threshold or "lip" so water could not be contained in the shower and would spread all over the floor. The desk clerk later said that we had been given a "superior" room rather than the "standard" we had paid for. The next day they did move our friends to a similar "superior" room.
As mentioned by other reviewers, the breakfast room is quite cramped and the selection very limited.
The positives are essentially the friendly staff, the Oltrano location near the Pitti Palace (walking distance to Ponte Vecchio), the comfortable lounge/bar area.
This is really a pension not a hotel, and it is in an old palazzo which has an interesting history. We would not stay again, but younger people on a budget may find it comfortable and with a certain charm.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrtwtraveler
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've stayed at the Annalena twice now, and must admit I'm a fan of the place. What I will qualify my review with first is the knowledge that much can depend on the room you are given. On my most recent trip, the cheap single room I had booked at late notice turned out to be the worst in the place (dark and narrow - could touch both walls simultaneously). However, the room I then upgraded to was a world away. One of their balcony rooms on the South side. I've now seen five of their rooms, and with the exception of the aforementioned cupboard-like single, they've all got a lot of good things going for them. I love the antique furniture you get in some, and on this occasion mine had a lovely tiled floor and carved cupboard.

The location is great too, and in the evenings you can actually find at least as many locals as tourists out and about - a true rarity in this city that seems to speak with an American accent. I don't think I even saw one moron charging down innocents on a segway last time. The Piazza San Spirito just ground the corner is a great spot for a drink or a bite to eat and there are various other less touristy spots if you explore a bit. The atmosphere in the area when I happened to be there for White Nights a couple of years back was fantastic. It's only a 5 minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio, your gateway over into the tourist hell of Firenze proper (you might be able to tell by now that I have a love/hate relationship with this city).

Breakfast is adequate, with the coffee being the standout. I would have liked better pastries, but I do realise that it's hard catering to so many different breakfast tastes in a city that attracts tourists from all over the world. If I had to pick an endless supply of quality coffee, or a full international buffet of food, I'd go for the former, so this suited me just fine. All in all, it's the character of the hotel and locale that attracts me back to this place. I can think of nothing worse than being on the other side of the river in a modern joint with 24 hour room service. If that's your thing, then stay well away from here.

Room Tip: Every room is different to the next. Those facing to the South (with balconies) look out over lovely...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SebT82
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located, at a short walking-distance from the historical center of Firenze. Rooms are fresh, clean and provided with individual terraces that overlook a nice garden. They are quiet. Bathroom is ok, provided with all needed toiletries. Breakfast is served in the magnificent main hall of the hotel, a good start for the day. Coffee is excellent and food is ok for an Italian standard (breakfast is never the best know-how of Italian hotels however).
As far as I am concerned, the Hotel Annalena is the best value for money that one can find in Firenze, apart from the Luxury hotels. I will definitely come back !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ParisPaco
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Pretty charming pensione with the antiques, not a generic hotel feeling. The showers are not the best, as others have said, but given that its Italy, its adequate. Its quiet and we slept well. Good breakfast with pleasant made to order coffee drinks. Spring for a room with the balcony. If you like to be away from the droves of tourists, this area is great, just be prepared to walk 20-30 minutes to the sights. Wish we would have tried the cash payment option someone else wrote about, as this place is not cheap.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple