“What more can I add?”

Ranked #42 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Toronto, Canada
“What more can I add?”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The overwhelmingly positive response in these reviews is well-deserved. I think the only original compliment I can pay to Andrea and his excellent staff is this:

The Hotel Alessandra family are citizens of Florence of the highest virtue. Their sincerity towards me, the way in which they took care of me during my stay, is something I'll not forget. Andrea and Monti made sure my comfort was always at its maximum best.

Their advice for restaurants was spot-on; someone I had met with no relationship to the Hotel confirmed that their restaurant recommendations were honest and straight-forward. They made me feel like a visiting cousin from another country. If I complain that they failed to teach me the language well,...that is my fault and not theirs!

I am much indebted to the people of Hotel Alessandra for my very happy 8-day stay in Florence. A big, big thank-you to all!

Room Tip: Room 7 was superb for a single person. Tall ceilings, excellent bathroom, nicely furnished. The end...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jeffrey H
Hotel-Alessandra, Proprietario at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much. We will be sharing this review with our staff; it's the whole team that make everything come together. And this review alone will motivate them for a long time to come!

Kind regards - Andrea Gennarini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, the location is perfect and is within walking distance to SMN Novella train station and at the center of everything. The only negative about this hotel is that the elevator is quite small and can only load max of 2 people. Further it was located at 2nd floor, and if you have heavy luggage with you...then you're in for a workout.
Nevertheless, services are great, breakfast is very good and staff are really knowledgeable and very helpful. They've made our stay more memorable. We stayed in a room with private bath. The bathroom is spacious and beautifully decorated with fine finishings. Hotel had everything we wish for i.e. strong free wifi and guide books. Will definitely stay here again if we return to Florence.

Room Tip: Request for room with river view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mork0707
Absolutely spot on! A super workout - and it's free! And if you are not in the mood for it, we totally understand and of course will come and help carry your luggage.Glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next one.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

4 day stay in Florence was greatly enhanced by the staff at this Hotel. Knowledgeable and willing to offer assistance where needed. Housekeeping efficient and thorough. The reward of climbing those stairs is a great stay in Florence. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SWatshenton
Hotel-Alessandra, Proprietario at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Wonderful that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for taking the time to say so here. The stairs are a free workout that we offer with every booking! We look forward to seeing you again one day.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel really made our stay in florence all the more enchanting. We extended our stay by 2 nights and were tempted to stay longer! The owner and staff are knowledgable (great food recommendations) and accommodating; housekeeping goes above and beyond to tidy the rooms and there is everything a traveller needs - strong free wifi, guide books and free calls. The rooms are warm on a cold winter night and spacious! Not to mention great location! Will definitely stay here again if we return to florence.

3 Thank Charissa S
Hotel-Alessandra, Proprietario at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Do come back - there are lots more really great restaurants to try out and we know them all!

Union, South Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at this charming hotel for four nights in the end of December and beginning of January. I stayed alone and in the single room with a private bath down the hall. The only possible negative is the set of stairs getting to the elevator. I say possible because I truly didn't mind the stairs. It wasn't easy when I arrived with luggage but the wonderful Monti was right there when I got to the reception desk. Otherwise i took the stairs almost everytime and rarely used the elevator. I believe those stairs are the reason I didn't gain weight in Italy despite eating heavy meals and drinking a lot of vino. the location is fabulous. It is in the center of everything (very near Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery) yet its on a quiet street so the noise of the city doesnt keep you up at night. the rooms are very clean and more than adequate. The staff made my stay truly special. Of course like everyone else i fell in love with Monti. He is worth his weight in gold. He was always so genuinely excited to see everyone and did everything possible to make my stay wonderful. Andrea is great. From making dinner and gallery reservations to giving helpful tips he was always professional, courteous and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to make a return trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank PDinNJ
Hotel-Alessandra, Proprietario at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Wonderful. We are so pleased that it all worked for you. We entirely agree that whoever uses the stairs everyday should have at least two extra ice creams a day, and perhaps a pre-dinner glass of prosecco too! We very much look forward to your return visit - stay with us via facebook!
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Why this man is working the evening shift at a modest hotel in Florence is a mystery to me. Maybe he is the owner ? Now to review the other aspects of this hotel. The room was just the right size, neither large nor small. There was a nice writing desk that I used. A very unique and useful master switch for the room electric. Use the key to open the door, then put the key into a socket inside of the door to activate the lights etc. Everything was Very clean, I only notice cleanliness if a room is dirty or very clean, salute to the housekeepers. As quiet as an Italian building can be as they all have ceramic floors and masonry walls & ceilings. The only negative was that the hotel began on the third floor of the building. I saw this often in Italy; hotels start on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a building and the elevators start at the 1st or 2nd flight of steps. So this negative is probably not considered so by Italians as this seems to be very common. The location is excellent, a short walk to all of the major sites in Florence. They had a really nice perk that I have not seen anywhere else; they give guests up to 10 minutes of calling to home on a special phone. What do I mean by a special phone ?? I mean a phone that WORKS. If you have not been to Italy yet, be prepared for a phone system that is a little better than two cans with a tight string tied between them. When I was checking out, the day manager told me that I could return later in the day to use my ten minutes as he remembered that I got the answering machine on both of my attempts. So, the day manager is just as professional and courteous as Monti but Monti has that type of personality that makes you smile when you talk with him. The price at 75 Euro was on the low side of the hotels I inquired with and the comp breakfast was the best of any I had during my 20 day visit to Italy.

Room Tip: I was happy with my room that was on the same floor as the reception desk.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Greg B
Hotel-Alessandra, Proprietario at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Monti is the best - and he is a prized member of our staff, along with all the others (some clean really well, some have great personalities and some go out of their way to help guests - we highly value each and every one).

Yes, we do offer our guests a free 10 minute call to their home country each day; we think it's a nice touch, and note that it is much appreciated.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay (even with the stairs - we talk about them a lot on our site and on our facebook page - we keep it no secret!) Come back again one day - we would love to see you.

Kind regards - Andrea Gennarini; courteous day manager AND owner :-) !!!
Essex, UK
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here in November whilst visiting my daughter who was working in Florence. This was my second visit in a a matter of weeks. The first time we stayed in Hortel David - nice but I preferred Hotel Alessandra. The location is wonderful, central for all the sights and plenty of good restaurants within a stones throw. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was spacious and comfortable. The staff were welcoming and helpful and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank millie217
We are delighted, and really hope to have you come visit again. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards - Andre Gennarini