“Shabby Hotel in a Chic Location”
Review of La Residenza

La Residenza
Ranked #283 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've just returned from a three night stay at the La Residenza, Florence. The hotel is located slap-bang in the middle of the up-market shopping area, with Prada located directly opposite. The hotel is accessed by an ancient elevator which we found to be out of order when we arrived. Once myself and my 72 yr old parents had carried our luggage up three flights of steps we were greeted by a receptionist who informed us that the lift did indeed work, and seemed to find the fact that we were out of breath hilarious!

The rooms are of a good size with a very comfortable bed, but only one slim pillow per person. The condition of the fiittings and decor was very poor. My room had filthy, marked walls and the walls were littered with light fittings that didn't do anything!

The bathroom was very small with just a squat-style bath with a shower. The shower curtain was far too small for the bath which resulted in the floor being flooded every time I used the shower. The tap in the sink was dripping, somebody may have responded to my complaint as I found the floor to be littered with bits of plastic but the drip remained!

The Air Conditioning has a master switch that only the hotel staff can access. It took constant badgering to get it turned on, and even then it remained off for the middle night, despite the high temperatures. Any attempt to get an explanation from the hotel stuff would be met by an incredulous shrug of the shoulders... Service is not this hotels strong point, although the staff we're pleasant enough.

Breakfast was fine. Hot Rolls and croissant, cappuccino, cheese, ham, pre-packaged sponge cake and yogurt was more than adequate to fuel a days sight seeing. If you like a slice of toast, forget about it, the museum piece toaster takes 10 minutes to perform it's task, and as it has no spring mechanism it means you will always end up with a burn offering unless you stand on guard for the full duration.

The hotel does boast a lovely roof garden. Perfect for sharing a bottle of wine whilst watching the sun disappear over the horizon.

In summary, this hotel has so much potential, but it's a long way from the perfect get-away. If however, you are looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful in a central location then this could well be the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jimbo_akimbo

Reviewed August 27, 2013

First let me say, it's tough for me to write this review. The staff at HLR are VERY VERY nice people and certainly very helpful. And the location is superb and the breakfast I thought was good too. However, the condition of the hotel is definitely not the same as the pics on the internet. The place probably hasn't been painted in at least 30 years. My room in particular was probably last remodeled in the late 60's/early 70's. There is a LOT of tracked in dirt in common area rugs. The WiFi only worked in the common area and not the very top floor (which is where I stayed).

In addition, if I was traveling with children and/or females, I wouldn't stay here. As I said, I stayed on the top floor. If you stay on this floor you have to lug your bags up a VERY narrow flight of stairs (appx 32" wide - see pic). I was fine with that but could see that being a problem for those who are unable to do so.

Lastly, if you are staying on the top floor - BEWARE! There is only one way in and out - the narrow stairwell. IF there is ever a fire (God forbid) on this floor or nearby, the potential for someone being hurt or killed is high. Especially, if this were to occur at nite. I work for a VERY large US fire department and know where I speak. There is a terrace on the top floor but the only way down would be if the terrace was laddered with a 100' aerial main by the Florence FD. A LOT could happen between a fire starting and them laddering the building let alone doing rescues.

As I said, the location is great and they're nice people. But I'd consider elsewhere especially if you have kids.

Room Tip: DONT stay on the top floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Seosamh126
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed two nights, It was very hot outside day and night and the room was cool from the quiet aircon and it had a fridge (no kettle). This was the lowest price room we had on out Italy tour and it was probably the largest room with a nice big bed and arm chairs, unfortunately the bathroom was probably the smallest one we have had and the shower was tiny. The central old fashioned elevator is cute but they tell you it is out of order during the day meaning we needed to walk up the 123 steps to our 4th (top) floor room, on the last day we used the elevator despite the "out of order sign" and it worked fine (we saw them using it for luggage guests). The included continental breakfast was fine and we drank our proseco on the rooftop garden in the evening enjoying the view over the florence rooftops.
In general the Hotel is old an tired but it is a great price and its location is in between Prada, Armani shops on the main "pedestrian" road in florence easy walking distance to most of the tourist sights.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of the La Residenza is excellent, in the great value for the money. Free wifi (on the upper floor the signal was not that good, but it worked). The almost antique building in which the hotel is situated gives romantic atmosphere, the rooms are in a good condition for such an old mansion, bathroom is spacy with a bathtub, room and bathroom very clean. Great terrace on the roof. Good breakfast. The reception staff is very helpful and nice. Just one advise for those who travel through Italy by car: connect with reception in advance to clarify the route through the city to the hotel. The traffic organization in Florence is rather complicated, you can lose much time and gain road fines driving through the narrow one-way streets. Hotel provides parking option for additional cost, so you can discuss with them the place where you leave your car in the city, and they pick it up and drive it to the garage by themselves (garage is not by the hotel, so they have delivered it to the entrance at our request when we were checking out). We really enjoyed the stay and hope to return soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very nice stylish hotel, quality service. Pleasant is not a standard clean room. Good bathroom, great location near the train station.I would recommend this hotel to my friends. When I'm in Florence stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is located in a block of top fashions stores: Gucci, Fendi, Armani, etc; just 5 minutes walking to Duomo and 2 blocks from the river. Few tips: verygood breakfast; if you are by car you will pay $25 euros a night; ask for a room with street view, rooms located in the back are smaller with very small bathrooms. Don't worry and use the elevator. It was the first built in Florence and still works.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here 2 years ago and was very happy to return. I had a large room at the front which was very comfortable and clean. The air con was turned on in the evening if requested. There was a good choice at breakfast including fresh fruit.
It is a short walk from the station and everything is within easy walking distance.
I shall certainly return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo