“Turned out to be a great hotel!”

Hotel Restaurant La Scaletta
Ranked #56 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Didn't mean to stay at this hotel but I'm glad I did! Excellent location literally less than 200 meters away from the Ponte Vecchio, close walk to duomo and other center spots. I stayed in a single double room and it was pretty big. Beautiful sky light in the bathroom bigger than most hotels I stayed at. Staff was helpful and not a problem with anything. Only problem is if you stay downstairs your wifi connection isn't great I had to go upstairs to receive service. AMAZING view from the roof restaurant/bar you could see all of florence, better book reservations early if you want a spot! Over all very pleased with stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Another good tribute to our hotel and our staff
...not so much for the wi-fi that we will improve thanks to the suggestions and complaints from customers...

Many thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My reservation was made for La Scaletta but we were put in The Uffizi Guesthouse which is part of the hotel and easily accessed without needing to use the very small elevator or climb many stairs. Our room was spacious and comfortable with an incredibly comfortable mattress and huge bathroom. The Uffizi rooms appear to have been recently renovated and we had an issue of water draining through the ceiling from the air conditioner. The staff of La Scaletta was fabulous...they came immediately and did not rest until the issue was resolved to our satisfaction. And, by the way, the a/c was fantastic---and especially necessary since, during our stay, Florence sweltered under an oppressive heat wave.

We enjoyed a couple of delicious meals up on the amazing roof deck and were treated like family by the warm and friendly staff.The location of La Scaletta is perfect...steps from both the Pitti Palazzo (a must see) and The Ponte Vecchio which conveniently leads to the many wonders of the beautiful city. We can't wait to return and hope there will room for us at La Scaletta when we do. Thanks to the staff for a great visit.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid stairs. ask for the Uffizi Guesthouse.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HonestAssesor
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

I am very sorry for the inconvenience of air conditioning overflowed
But we are glad that you enjoyed our new rooms of the Uffizi Guesthouse. We always work to grow and improve our hotel to have satisfation and customers happy with how they spent their money (in the world, in Italy, in Florence..)
Today, with this global crisis is really needed to "inject confidence" and we need never stop. We live only once ... (on earth)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at La Scaletta in May 2012 during a month vacation in Italy. It was as absolutely wonderful place to stay and was in a great location.You will not need a car if you choose this location and the streets are so narrow that I would book one when leaving the city or to take the train out of the City. The Ponte Vecchio was about a two minute from the front door and all other major sights were a short walk away. However the Hotel did not feel touristy. The Staff were extremely friendly and professional and were always available to help. The room/bathroom was clean comfortable and the Hotel Terrace and it's view were really something special. WIFI was available at no to all Guests and was easily accessible and if you decided not to travel with a Tablet a Guest computer with Internet was available and free of charge. The Hotel provides a very reasonable breakfast for 7 euros and also provides dinner both of which you can enjoy in the Hotel Dining Room or I would highly recommend to enjoy it on the roof top terrace. There are lots of bakeries, cafes and restaurants right outside your door if you don't want to choose to eat at La Scalletta.. Regarding reviews about the Elevator, yes it is small due to the age of the building and the need to maintain it's historical heritage. The Elevation is quite quick and large enough for both my husband and myself to fit at the same time but we did have to ride solo with our luggage; This only took a couple of minutes.. Don't let this prevent you from staying here, it truly is not an issue. Florence is an amazing place to stay and this Hotel truly captures the wonderful feel of this City. Book and have a wonderful Italian experience.

Room Tip: If stairs are an issue, ask to book a room on the same floor at Reception.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathy G
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

How!
I want to stay in this hotel!
This is really nice, thanks for choosing us and for such a nice comment to our hotel
"...Florence is an amazing place to stay and this hotel truly captures the wonderful feel of this City...." (this is what I love more)

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at La Scaletta June of 2012. Nice spacoius room. Air conditioning worked..not always the case. The rooftop dining area has an amazing view of the city, the location is perfect, and the staff was the best we encountered in our three week travel across Europe. Sylvia at the front counter helped me arrange parking ..especially nice after my 115.00 euro ticket in Cinque Terra :)...and also found conditioner for my wife....but my favorite was Christine, who was always ready too grab me a bucket of ice for my evening Gin & Tonic.....thanks..your a dear....We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mlrtyme
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

We are always happy when they say that we work well because everyone wants to feel good going on vacation and returned home thinking he had spent his money well
Many thanks and greetings from Sylvia and Cristina ... to the next Gin Tonic

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed 8 days in Florence. Everything was special about Hotel La Scaletta: location (very close to Palazzo Pitti on the left and Ponte Vecchio on the right from where you can walk to several main sights); spacious rooms (fridge, tv, air cond.); for 7.00 euros you a have a good breakfast with some options (fresh fruits, corn flakes/granola, bread, eggs...); the restaurant: good food for very reasonable price; a charming terrace with WONDERFUL view!! What else?! Ahh, the staff...ADORABLE Sara - the manager, Natalia, Cristina, Monica, Eduard...they all did the maximum to make our stay the most enjoyable possible!!! That's exactly the way I think we should be taken care of when visiting other countries! It was a very pleasant stay!! I have no doubt about going back to Florence 'cause I left my heart there! And no doubt about staying at Hotel La Scaletta because I like to be well treated and they did it with a lof of competence!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Good evening Osmarina and thank you for the beautiful review
References to people known and who work at the Hotel la Scaletta are always greatly appreciated! (sure I shall be asked a salary increase ......)
We were also very pleased to welcome you and we hope you will return to Florence soon as it is where you left your heart ... In fact they say: "Saudade de Florença"?!?...oh no that's another thing
Also hello from Andrea ..

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the La Scaletta hotel in early June 2012 and we had very pleasant experience there. The hotel is conveniently located close to the center (minutes’ walk to the Boboli garden and the Ponte Vecchio) and we were very pleased with the overall service and hospitality of staff.
The hotel has a lovely terrace with a magnificent view to Florence and you can enjoy your breakfast there. Highly recommend for stay. Good combination of quality and price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

We appreciate your compliments
Thanks for being with us, we are all very happy to have been for a few days at your disposal and helping to make your vacation more enjoyable
Best Regards

Reviewed June 13, 2012

La Scaletta is a short walk from the Ponte Vecchio, which means you are in a great position to explore all the main sights of Florence right from your doorstep - if on foot, it does mean a 20 minute walk through the crowds from the Santa Maria Novella station, but it's a good way for a first time visitor to acclimatise to the city!

On arrival, there is the option of 97 steps to the hotel or the aforementioned lift which can only take 2 people at a time (and is a squeeze with luggage). Whilst most people may complain about this, I found it just added to the charm - we always used the stairs on the way down anyway. The girl behind reception was extremely pleasant, checked all our details and informed us our rooms were ready even though we were early - she talked us through the hotel information then took us to our rooms.

The rooms were beautiful, big and well appointed with a large comfortable bed and enormous bathroom. Our particular one was room 34 on the same floor as reception, our friends were down a rabbit warren of stairs and corridors which had loads of character and again an excellent room - the receptionist remarked "I think you have two of the best rooms!" - which whether true or not, always makes you feel good! There was air con, TV (which we never turn on) and a fridge which had a complimentary bottle of still and sparkling water inside.

We were encouraged to check out the roof terrace.... WOW! Worth staying here for alone, views of the gardens and then up the next level for some great 360 degree views of the city. We made our way back to have a drink in the bar on the first night just to take in the views. Note that the bar is only open until around 11:30 and they expect you to vacate the terrace by midnight (we made it until a little later before the lights went out) - but this is no real inconvenience.

Had the breakfast one day which was good - not the best ever but it set us up for the day. Didn't try the restaurant so cannot comment on that unfortunately - although the Golden View open bar is only around the corner if you want a beautiful meal with a specialised Seafood slant.

All in all, excellent value for money, real charm and a feeling of decadence with the terrace. Good communication before our trip also, reconfirming our booking a couple of weeks before. It's fair to say that we probably wouldn't stay anywhere else in Florence now.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tom2burn
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thanks a lot
I do not think I could do better myself, to make propaganda at my hotel
The best propaganda is a clientele satisfied
I'm glad someone appreciates even the elevator "small"
Dear customer ... I can only advise you to try our restaurant, when you will come back to Florence!
See you soon