“Charming hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Torre Guelfa Hotel

Torre Guelfa Hotel
Ranked #61 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Seattle, Washington
“Charming hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

We loved this hotel and the staff! The reviews in Frommers , Travel Advisor, & Rick Steves convinced me to give it a try; I was rewarded with a lovely experience. My three adult children, my son's finance & I went to Italy for 14 days on July 1. It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. We wanted an "Italian" experience, not "Holiday Inn in Italy." Torre Guelfa exceeded our expectations. From the enormous wooden, castle-like doors at the street level, tile floors, lovely common areas, and friendly staff we were treated to Italian ambience. Each of our rooms was unique. We stayed on the first floor in three rooms. Bathrooms were small, showers-only, but by no means the smallest bathroom we experienced in Italy! Everything was clean and in good repair. The air-conditioning in the rooms was a welcome relief from the July heat. Our rooms overlooked the front door on ground level. The hotel is about 1.5 blocks from the Ponte Vecchio so the street can be quite lively at night. Light sleepers might have trouble with the 1st floor. We were there 5 nights and only one night did the noise level rise to the degree I found it difficult. (Large group of young people at a wine bar across the street, spilled out to the street.) It is also easy walking distance to most things in Florence. Pitti Palace & the Uffizi are just down the street. In fact, we walked everywhere in Florence. The tower offers a fabulous view of the city. Watching the sun set from this vantage point is breath-taking. The staff also helped us book a tour and provided suggestions on places to visit. Most of the staff we encountered are fluent in English which was very helpful. The only criticism I have is that the breakfast eating area is quite small and there is no real system for identifying who is next. We had tours booked early in the morning, with 5 in our group, it was challenging to get us all in to breakfast before we had to leave, so twice we left without breakfast. Even with this inconvenience, our stay was fabulous. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — ambience, friendly staff
  • Disliked — size of breakfast area
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank ViveItalia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Turkish first
Cranbury, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Location of this hotel is wonderful. Breakfast room and tower are just lovely, sitting rooms for reading and e-mail are luxurious. Room was oversized and more like a suite, and price was very reasonable in the guest house (1st floor). Room was clean, but bathroom was very small and smelled, which was somewhat unpleasant. Personnel were very accomodating and hotel was family friendly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smelly bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank PLK101
Salinas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

Before we left to go on our trip to Florence, we checked out the reviews on the Torre Guelfa apartment. We were a bit skeptical at first as there were conflicting opinions from previous guests. I have to say that we found our experience to be absolutely wonderful! Although the hallways leading up to the apartment can be dark at night, there are light switches on the walls and a lit elevator. The rooms inside were very spacious and the ceilings were tall to accomodate lofts in each of the two rooms. The windows opened up to a charming cobblestone street where we frequently heard the clip-clop of horse drawn carriages. Nothing can beat the proximity factor the apartment has to town! It's close to everything! From the hotel manager to the housekeeper, everyone was friendly and helpful. We'd stay in the apartment again in a heartbeat!

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank TravelProSalinas
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

This hotel is well-run and wonderfully located. It is well within walking distance to most of the tourist sites in Florence. The staff, while not overly friendly, was helpful and answered all of our questions. Breakfast was yummy. One morning, we had to wait to eat because the smallish room was filled. However, we only waited a few minutes.

The tower is amazing and well worth the climb.

Our room was lovely, clean and spacious. We will send our friends to this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2007
3 Thank 2vaca
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

My two friends and I stayed at the Hotel Torre Guelfa in May 2007. We had a neat room and a big bathroom. The service was great and the breakfast was good. The best part was the tower. We had some wine that was not nearly as expensive as we thought it would be and being up there for sunset made the whole world feel perfect! We loved everything about our stay!!!
I can't wait to go back with my husband.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — decor seemed a little out of date
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank 44megab
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2007

Through a review in Frommer's, I decided to try the large suite with the rooftop deck. This was my absolute favorite place that I stayed at in Italy of 7 nights of hotel hopping. Only stay in the large suite with balcony if you are going to stay there!! Believe me, it is worth it. I only stayed there one night, and then moved on to another hotel, which was nice, but just okay compared to our room at the Torre Guelfa. The hotel is very nicely located in the city center and will not disappoint. Do NOT miss the view from the wine bar in the tower (which is also amazing). It made Florence that much more picturesque.

• Liked — Loved private suite
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ameswise1
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2007

I stayed at the Torre Guelfa in Oct 2006 on a Rick Steves Tour! While the hotel wasn't opulent or ritzy, it was fun because of how unique the hotel is! Every room is 100% entirely different in decor, layout, furniture, etc! I know this because people on my tour started going room to room just to check out what other people had. My room had extremely high cathedral ceilings & a HUGE window & really large armoire. My mom's room had a step-down from the front door area, wood flooring, and a canopy bed. My sisters room was so different! When you opened the door you'd have to go up an entire flight of stairs and then at the top was a small sitting area and a bedroom behind curtains! So cool! And, of course, the tower at the top is amazing for views. I'm attaching some of the pics I took from the top of it. When you stay at this hotel you really start to feel like "wow, I really am in Italy".... and since you can tell the hotel is so old, you really start to get a sense of history, especially when you go to the top of the tower. Now, be prepared, the accomodations aren't luxury - I'm a picky traveler so of course I wondered if they ever change the comforter on the bed, I know they didn't change the sheets every day, and the carpeting in my room as a little mildewy. But I don't regret staying here, it was just so unique & something that you can never really experience anywhere else!

Stayed October 2006