“Extremely Helpful Staff”
Review of Torre Guelfa Hotel

Torre Guelfa Hotel
Ranked #82 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 7, 2007

My husband & I along with my brother & his wife stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in Sept 2007. My luggage had been lost & the airlines called the front desk & left a message indicating I needed to come to the airport to retrieve my suitcase. I was exasperated. I had been without my luggage for 4 days & now I had to take a taxi to the airport to get my bags! Fortunately, the front desk staff called my airline & persuaded them to get my bags delivered to the hotel. I was thrilled. The staff went "above & beyond" ordinary service. The location of this hotel along with their high level of service makes it an outstanding choice in Florence! Sincerely, Becky Freed

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank bzfreed

Reviewed September 25, 2007

My wife and I stayed here from Sept 17th through Sept 19th and I have to say that I was EXTREMELY disappointed. From the tub (not a shower) that had a hose to clean yourself off to the creepy closet that seemed out of SAW the movie. I was eaten up by bugs at night and the breakfast was something comparable to a Motel 6. The staff was nice but the room was terrible. I have stayed in pricely hotels (Ritz and Waldorf Astoria, Palace in NY) and in Motels like the aforementioned Motel 6. I am sad to say that this stay was MORE comparable to that of a stay at the Motel 6. I found a couple of hairs in the tub and we were only given 2 clean towels - no hand towels......just 2 shower towels. As for the furniture, there was a badly stained chair placed in the middle of the room. The bed was hard but I came to expect that in European or hotel beds sometimes so that wasn't a big deal to us. One last thing, the windows were sealed shut and the room seemed dark and creepy. I have to say that our stay at Torre Guelfa severely damaged my view of Florence - I don't know if I would ever want to return to the city let alone the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank washingtonfeds
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I'm giving this hotel 3 stars because I am averaging our bad experience with our friend's great experience. That is the problem with this hotel. As others have commented, the rooms are random within the same category (junior suite) and we must have had the worst (#25) which for 235 euros a night was even more painful. Plus the day and night shift desk attendants provide a very different guest experience. So if you can get room #29 and check in during the day it’s a much better experience for the price. Overall, I think you can find a hotel that costs less in the same area that will provide a decent room, but if you can ensure you will have a nice room then it could be worth the splurge for the tower.

Location:
Great location. Walk everywhere. One block from Ponte Vechhio and Uffizi. On a small side street with shops and restaurants. Parking is 26 euros/night so I recommend you not bring a car into the city. You won’t need it. The train station is 10-15 minute walk but if you have a lot of luggage I would suggest a taxi especially on arrival.

Hotel:
The tower is the unique part of the hotel with a great view. The steps up are narrow and steep but manageable for most. We ended up not climbing Giotto’s bell tower because we had the same view! The hotel itself is on three floors but it has a dungeon like feeling – dark, old; very small reception desk on entry level, living room on third floor is dark and not a place you really would want to hang out, but you will be out sightseeing most of the time anyway.

Rooms
Room 25 was dark, had a musty odor, bad furniture, bad paint, windows that were sealed shut, hard mattress (no box spring), and a creepy little closet for the mini bar that smelled like sewage...but a decent bathroom with all the amenities (shampoo, hairdryer). We asked for another room but the night receptionist couldn't accommodate us. Two days later when our friends arrived we were shocked by how nice their room (#29) was for the same price and the fact that they had gotten a tour of hotel from the day manager. Room 29 had both shower and tub, windows to a courtyard, separate bedroom and sitting room, nice furniture, flat screen tv. The minibars did not have a price sheet but don’t be fooled – they did charge us.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was basic - even by European standards compared to all the other hotels we stayed in in Italy. Each table for two got 2 rolls, 2 croissants, cheese wedges/jam, 2 hard toast/cracker packet and yogurt. Served until 10am sharp in a pleasant breakfast room. Cracker packs do make good snacks for later.

Other
Internet is 5euros/hour. The hotel recommends the restaurant Nella, just behind them. It’s very convenient, and written in Rick Steve’s. Good if you are tired – but a little pricy for casual dining, however it did have the best dessert of our trip – pana cotta with hot chocolate sauce. A must find for chocolate lovers is Vestri Chocolate shop. Boccadam was a decent restaurant we happened upon in Piazza Santa Croce - no need to make a special trip but if you are there it’s a good choice for outdoor dining.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth H
Reviewed August 13, 2007

If you ever have the opportunity to travel to Florence, I recommend
The Hotel Torre Guelfa. It is close to the town square and all
major tourist attractions. Every room is set up differently and
comfortable. Our party actually booked five rooms and each one had a different decor. The hotel offers a morning continental breakfast and internet service.

My daughter's wedding took place on the roof top with a breath
taking view. Their wedding planner in Florence recommeded this site for the actual ceremony because of this feature.

The staff was very helpful and accomodating. The groom's mother became ill the day of the wedding and the staff called a local doctor to treat her in her room.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Linda1123
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We loved this hotel and the staff! The reviews in Frommers , Travel Advisor, & Rick Steves convinced me to give it a try; I was rewarded with a lovely experience. My three adult children, my son's finance & I went to Italy for 14 days on July 1. It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. We wanted an "Italian" experience, not "Holiday Inn in Italy." Torre Guelfa exceeded our expectations. From the enormous wooden, castle-like doors at the street level, tile floors, lovely common areas, and friendly staff we were treated to Italian ambience. Each of our rooms was unique. We stayed on the first floor in three rooms. Bathrooms were small, showers-only, but by no means the smallest bathroom we experienced in Italy! Everything was clean and in good repair. The air-conditioning in the rooms was a welcome relief from the July heat. Our rooms overlooked the front door on ground level. The hotel is about 1.5 blocks from the Ponte Vecchio so the street can be quite lively at night. Light sleepers might have trouble with the 1st floor. We were there 5 nights and only one night did the noise level rise to the degree I found it difficult. (Large group of young people at a wine bar across the street, spilled out to the street.) It is also easy walking distance to most things in Florence. Pitti Palace & the Uffizi are just down the street. In fact, we walked everywhere in Florence. The tower offers a fabulous view of the city. Watching the sun set from this vantage point is breath-taking. The staff also helped us book a tour and provided suggestions on places to visit. Most of the staff we encountered are fluent in English which was very helpful. The only criticism I have is that the breakfast eating area is quite small and there is no real system for identifying who is next. We had tours booked early in the morning, with 5 in our group, it was challenging to get us all in to breakfast before we had to leave, so twice we left without breakfast. Even with this inconvenience, our stay was fabulous. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ViveItalia
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Location of this hotel is wonderful. Breakfast room and tower are just lovely, sitting rooms for reading and e-mail are luxurious. Room was oversized and more like a suite, and price was very reasonable in the guest house (1st floor). Room was clean, but bathroom was very small and smelled, which was somewhat unpleasant. Personnel were very accomodating and hotel was family friendly.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank PLK101
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Before we left to go on our trip to Florence, we checked out the reviews on the Torre Guelfa apartment. We were a bit skeptical at first as there were conflicting opinions from previous guests. I have to say that we found our experience to be absolutely wonderful! Although the hallways leading up to the apartment can be dark at night, there are light switches on the walls and a lit elevator. The rooms inside were very spacious and the ceilings were tall to accomodate lofts in each of the two rooms. The windows opened up to a charming cobblestone street where we frequently heard the clip-clop of horse drawn carriages. Nothing can beat the proximity factor the apartment has to town! It's close to everything! From the hotel manager to the housekeeper, everyone was friendly and helpful. We'd stay in the apartment again in a heartbeat!

Stayed: June 2007