“You get what you pay for”

Hotel Benvenuti Florence
Ranked #345 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in early October, kind of a last minute booking and everything else in florence is very expensive already.

The room rate I got (excluding breakfast and through Agoda) was quite cheap so I went ahead and booked here.

Location is a (very) long walk from the train station and quite a walk to the main tourist areas. In all fairness, it's just one straight street so it was very easy to get to the Duomo area.

The famous sewage smell is true, I was able to smell it in the corridors, fortunately , didn't get the smell inside the room.

The room was HUGE! like, seriously. The bed is ok. The bathroom is ok.

2 negatives for me are:

1) When I reached out to the front desk about poor wifi in my room, a slightly older man attended to me in a kind-of fierce attitude saying that "it's not possible". So we went to my room checked it, and he told me that maybe it was my phone that has a problem. I was too tired to argue so I just brushed it off and he said he'll check it.

In fairness, it the wifi worked "better" the following day.

2) On my last night, I killed at least 4 mosquitoes in my room. Not sure if it was my fault that I opened the closet because I just got curious what's inside.

Probably the only very positive thing I'd say is that the 2 staffs I have encountered and dealt with were very friendly and helpful! they're probably the saving grace of this hotel.

Room Tip: It's not an amazing hotel but if you're traveling on a budget, it's an ok choice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pao_Tan

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

a very huge room!we stayed for 3nights and we found out perfectly accommodating hotel.staff are very hospitable.rooms are silence and clean.like 10mins walking thru the center.and theyre serving a very bountiful breakfast.the name of the hotel benvenuti are very interesting which means welcome!from asian country

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank debbie m
Reviewed October 25, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I'm hesitant to write this as I'm not looking to be admonished by whoever "counters" the very legitimate complaints of the former guests.
All of the staff I encountered were most helpful and really a delight.
The hotel does smell like sewage, period. I imagine it is an issue of old city, old building, old plumbing. Unfortunate and perhaps can't be made any better.
One guest said they should take cleaning and maintenance more seriously and I heartily agree. It is not a lack of care by the hotel "maids", they do their job. I stayed in 2 different rooms there in a 2 week period and both could use a fresh coat of (a more cheerful color perhaps) paint and a little (or a lot depending on the issue) more attention to detail. It is an old building but so little care has been taken with the rooms it is a shame.
I brought my room issues to the attention of the staff, leaky toilet/wet floor, dirty draperies but I think the owner needs to devote some time and money so that this hotel can be as lovely as the people who are employed there, OK?
The breakfast could be improved by a little fresh fruit, cheese and salami certainly.
The location is fantastic, out of the tourist frenzy. Restaurants are nearby and are much better than any of the 3 places that I ate at near the Duomo. Just ask the front desk, they will give you suggestions.
Lastly and most importantly, the highlight of my stay was the Museum in San Marco Square.
3 blocks down Via C.Cavour. Incredible Fra Angelico's!!! Quiet, uncrowded and "otherworldly". don't miss it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Firstly, I'm unsure why the hotel has responded to 'Daveishonest' by suggested he didn't actually stay here! I can confirm that he did, and unfortunately I did as well. As for 'proof' - do we need to add our booking confirmation to this page? Why has no one else needed to submit proof? Why on earth write a review of a place you've not stayed? Life's too short!

Our room smelled really badly of sewage. We didn't complain as there simply cannot be any way that the hotel was not aware of it themselves, so we assumed to had to just put up with it. I have noticed that the smell of faeces is mentioned on other reviews on there, so the hotel must be aware of it! There were also huge water stains all down the wall behind our bed.

The daytime staff were very, very helpful and we really liked them - they were the best thing about the place. But the night manager was incredibly rude, not just to us, but to other guests right in front of us. One guest asked for a bottle opener and he was so rude that the guest just told him not to bother. We had problems with the internet and he refused to give a new code for around an hour, whilst being aggressive in attitude.

Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank londonwilson
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is a little gem in Florence. Clean, comfortable and with a nice little fill at breakfast time. Having been to Florence before I followed the staff here from a previous hotel. Their amiable nature, help, advice and great way of helping you to book excursions goes beyond any other experiences I have had worldwide. There is the most adorable lift to get you up to the second floor (after walking up Pisa and the Duomo my poor legs were knackered). And the location is just perfect for the city centre and the station. Huge praise from me, highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Interesting hotel on the third and fourth floor - good news there is an elevator although very European - read small. Easy check in. Rooms are okay - larger than most but not extravagant. Clean but very simple rooms - good for a budget European hotel in a major tourist city. Breakfast was good - better than most but not the best. Decor is sort of college funky but again all was clean. Okay neighbourhood. Internet access was okay but needed help from the staff to set it up - by the speed they set up our phone they have done this many times. So speaking of staff here is what floored us. We checked out in the morning. Went to the bike race (world championships). Got soaked to the bone and very cold. Came back to hotel to get our luggage and head for the train. The staff looked at us and immediately offered us a place to rest, change, dry off and even offered to get a hair dryer! We watched the rest of the race on the TV in the lounge! Thanks! We will be back to stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple