All reviewssmall kitchenettescrambled eggs and baconminute walkhotel roomplenty of hot waterquiet hotelenjoy florencereception staffstayed for nightspastriesrooms were very cleannice bathroomgelatowithin easy walking distancetrain stationbreakfast was deliciouslaundromat
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Having read the previous reviews of 'bed bugs', its nice to know these have cleared up apparently. We had nothing like this.

However, this was the most expensive hotel we stayed in all through Italy and easily rates as the worst of the lot. We found 3 star hotels at half the price that were 10 times better.

The rooms are large but sparsely furnished with an acceptable bed and bathroom. The bar is ok but not really worth it for the poor selection. Same goes for the breakfast. The hotel grounds are spacious and beautiful, and a pleasure to sit in for a drink, but the internet is via cable in the room only and is very expensive.

But most of all the staff were terrible. Other reviews here reflect our experience with them, including a general air of being an inconvenience every time you ask a question. Upon asking for a recommendation on a restaurant nearby to eat we were informed 'they are all good' and to 'just walk and see'. Very useful to first time visitors just arrived in the city...

Finally, it is a good 15 minute walk to get close to any of the main sites in Florence. This seems ok to begin with but after a few days of walking the same empty streets to get anywhere you begin to appreciate that there are cheaper, friendly hotels much closer in.

Suffice to say we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blu3mupp3t
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Stayed at this hotel from 12/20 to 12/24. We were very pleased to enter our hotel room to find a large 2-room suite with a huge modern bathroom, complete with towel warmer. Suite was sleek and modern with a beautiful old desk in the living area. Flat screen tv was a surprise, as well as the french doors in the bedroom and living room with nice views of the courtyard. Hotel is located barely 10 minutes from the Duomo and San Lorenzo marketplace. Front Desk was happy to make must-see/must-have reservations for both the Accademia (cannot miss the Davide) and the Uffizi Gallery. Breakfast is the only meal they serve but restaurant across the street is associated with hotel and gives a small discount if you are staying there. Breakfast is elaborate and well done, lots of choices, meats, cheeses, fresh fruit and large selection of baked goods. You can walk nearly everywhere in Florence from this hotel as it is a small city. I would definitely recommend and, if I ever return to Florence, would seek out this hotel and stay again. Good choice and 1 night was free with 3 nights rental so relatively economical for Italy.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rwilkie
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We had a completely different experience with the staff than the previous poster. They were always warm and energetic. We used the staff extensively during our 3 night stay for directions, taxi calls, etc. When we asked where the PCs provided for internet access were located, the desk clerk walked us downstairs to the room where the PC was located, and ensured we were able to login. Cars are able to pull into the central courtyard for loading/unloading, and there is a bell-hop (I think the previous poster was dropped-off at the wrong entrance). However, we traveled only with carry-on luggage, and walked from the train station, so I have no direct experience with the loading/unloading.

The elevator is normally sized, by European standards.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and the breakfast buffet extensive. The hotel is at the edge of the central district of Florence, so you may end up doing quite a bit of walking. The trade-off is that the area is quiet, with little traffic. The hotel has a bar, but no restaurant on the premises. There is a restaurant across the street.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Upon arrival at the Palazzo Ricasoli, I was immediately put off by the location of the lobby. In order to reach it, you must carry your bags up a few steps, walk through the patio, go up a few more steps, and then through another door. No staff was available to assist with our bags, nor did any of them attempt to open the door when we reached the lobby. The elevators are extremely small, so my friend and I barely squeezed in with our suitcases. If there had been a third person in our group, they would have had to wait for the elevator to come back down.

The room was a nice surprise. Extremely spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated. We were overlooking the Courtyard, so it was quiet with no street noise to keep us up at night. Although we had issues with our Air Conditioning, I'd give the room a huge "thumbs up."

The neighborhood itself is very quiet. I'd say the location is great, but a bit of a walk (at least 15-20 minutes) to the main attractions of Florence. Make sure to pack comfortable shoes!

On the first night I approached the Front Desk agent and inquired about dinner recommendations. Instead of taking the time to speak with me, she shoved a business card in my hand and walked away. I was shocked. I then approached the second agent at the desk and she was kind enough to give me a map and give me some ideas. All in all, the staff was not very proactive or overly helpful. They were more interested in chatting behind the front desk then helping their guests.

If I go back to Florence, I will likely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Ideal accommodation and not too far form the centre of Florence. Very clean and great rooftop for basking in the Tuscan sunshine!

Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple