“Think again before booking this hotel”

Palazzo Ricasoli Residence
Ranked #267 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Well ... Let's first start with something positive by saying the staff is offering a great service! Considering the quality of the hotel that would be the least this hotel can offer!

Mainly, I'm questioning when was the last this hotel was evaluated for the stars rating. It's easy to see that this old is quite old! The rooms looked as if nothing was done to improve them since the opening of this hotel. The beds were not comfortable at all, the showers, let's say they were "ok". Besides that there is nothing great about their rooms

The buffet breakfast ... Seriously, how bad can a continental buffet breakfast can be? Simple to answer, ask the Hotel manager. I have been staying at different 3 and 4 stars hotels in many cities of Europe (also Hostels in a younger life) and I have never ever seen a continental breakfast buffet as worst as this one. I'm far from being difficult with meals but when I see powder orange juice, canned fruit salad and canned fruits (peaches and else) and so on... I kinda get frustrated! Top of all, the coffee was awfull. How can you miss your coffee in Italy when all the big names are in this country and the cost is so cheap. Good thing there is snack bar a few seconds from the hotel to take a good coffee for couple of dimes!!

The hotel is a few minutes away (walking distance) from the main attractions. On your way to the main attractions, you will find a small supermarket with good prices, 2-3 on the other side of the streets, couple of other goods restaurants in the streets nearby the hotel.

This hotel should be rated as 3 stars hotel as I'm sure there is probably better 3 stars in Florence that this one.

Room Tip: Not a 4 stars hotel. Choose another one.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Edouard A

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have run hotels for 35 years and the travel agent booked here, I read the reviews before confirming and thought this is okay for what I am paying a middle price range hotel (as I am on holiday for 6weeks).

Sure when we arrived the outside looked very much like the web site, the reception okay and the room was a little less than what I had visioned. But don't get me wrong, there is a bed with clean sheets, bathroom with towels and all the things, minibar, plus this room had a kitchenette and dining table (like I'm going to be cooking while in Florence!), two arm chairs and side table, tv and free unlimited wifi (I read reviews about it not working, but it was fine, a little slow but it's FREE) the air conditioning too -worked, just not what I am used to at home, (i want cold not cool) but I have come to except this and just asked for a fan, which was quickly delivered.

We are on holiday so a room is a place to shower and sleep, because the rest of the time I'm out site seeing ... Isn't that what you are meant to do while on holiday!

Room Tip: If you are not happy say so at the time ... Everything can always be fixed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce C
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent an enjoyable 3 nights here, the rooms were huge and well decorated, the staff extremely helpful, hard working and pleasant. Breakfast buffet was everything and more you could want, although a limited menu for the evening meal - again, beautifully presented and more than substantial.
Only a couple of little niggles - its a 15 minute walk into the centre - fine when its cool, otherwise it's taxis. The housekeeper can be a little tardy in making up the room - this was rectified by the receptionist.
I would definitely stay here again. Just a note - you must wear your 'relax and chill hat' it gets you further and faster than a rant.

Room Tip: I had a spacious room on the 4th floor overlooking the courtyard - most times it's quiet althoug...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank emacdwilliams
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Although the location is not in the city itself, we have found it great there to have at least 1 km walk to the centre and back. Both the building and the courtyard are magnificent, so that you keep feeling in a real palace, quiet and superb. We have got an upgrade from a standard room to an apartment with separated sleeping and living areas, a kitchenette, a big balcony or a small terrace which allows a perfect view, esp. in the evening. The breakfast was ok, the cleaning very good (we were travelling with a toddler who kept playing with everything, what he could see, and flinging it around), the staff super friendly, and the value for money as well (having booked the accomodation 3 months prior to the travel, I had paid only 310 EUR for B&B + 40 EUR city tax for 5 nights). It was a very pleasant stay, I can definitely recommend the hotel to families and those who want to have a peaceful holiday.

Room Tip: Balconys to the north are perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel seems to be something of a ‘Marmite’ property judging by the reviews- you either love it or hate it and I’ll explain why we booked it and try and help others get a good experience from it...(also see 'tips' a the end)

We were driving to Florence and like many Italian cities with an historical core, cars are restricted from a large area of the centre and parking limited beyond it. Therefore you tend to end up on the edge of town if you want a hotel with a car park. The Ricasoli has an underground car park (€12 per day extra), yet is an easy 15min stroll to the main sights.

In addition, they offered a family room at a very reasonable price (for Florence!) and this turned out to be a suite, with two bedrooms. A double, plus one for the kids with two singles - one of which is a sofabed but was described as ‘absolutely fine’ by the (normally vocal) occupant. There were two sizeable washrooms, one of which had a sit in bath (both had showers) a living room with kitchenette and a small patio which just overlooked the adjacent rooftops but was a pleasant spot in the early morning sun. Aircon was fitted and working nicely.

The hotel consists of the ‘old’ original premises which borders the street and the ‘new’ (maybe 25 year old?) block at the back, separated by a pleasant courtyard. The car park is under the new block. At the time of its construction it must have been quite significant, a modern space contrasting with the old surroundings. The fittings in our hotel room were of high quality and suggested a good sum was spent at the time of the refit, but the decor is now getting a little tired, the pictures in their clip frames particularly so. I think this might be what causes some disappointment with guests as the surface decoration may have been chosen for fashion at the time of the refit rather than more neutral longevity. There are also little areas that could do with some investment in maintenance too, but I stress, we found our room well cleaned each day. If you go on the hotel website there is more detail to help you select a suitable room.

Breakfast was good in range and of a high quality. It was peak season and there were two large tour groups staying but the staff worked very hard and empty food choices were replaced quickly - even when one group left for their tour and cleaned the place out like locusts ravaging a crop! Amazing what you can stuff in a handbag!

The area the hotel sits in is quiet and seems safe but (like a lot of recession hit Italy) is a bit dilapidated. It seems to be a business district with private banks and solicitors, so maybe it is more busy when not the annual holiday (we were there in August when Italy goes on vacation). After a days exploring, get a drink from the bar and chill out at a table in the courtyard. If the cat meets you and meows on your way in, its because he is too short to activate the automatic doors, so he appreciates you triggering them for him to exit!

Maybe the problems with staff that others have encountered had already been dealt with by the management, because everyone we met was working hard and both friendly and helpful.

In summary, the location was great, parking very convenient, room spacious and reasonably priced, the bill was as expected with no mystery extras and the staff we encountered all lovely. Book with the small provisos mentioned in mind and I think you’ll have a great stay. Often, its all about expectation.

TIPS:
If driving, your Satnav will almost certainly guide you in via the adjacent street which is restricted to cars (ZTL zone) so enter Viale Spartaco Lavagnini 11/a to avoid a hefty fine. The hotels website has a map and directions, do take a look. It’s also worth checking a space is available at peak season. The entrance to the courtyard for unloading and car park access is immediately next to the glass double doors of the entrance but in Italian style isn’t marked well. It is a cobbled driveway.
b) Turn left out of the entrance and across the road is a small supermarket for snacks. Also a laundromat if you need one. nb: If you are walking into town you will pass dozens of cafes and shops after you are past the first couple of hundred metres.
c) To get to the sights, turn left out of the entrance then right and it is a straight 15minute stroll into the centre with limited traffic to worry about. Reception will give you a map and directions.

Room Tip: Look at the website to help, it has different language options. Talk to the hotel, they respond to e...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DINERMIGHT
Reviewed July 31, 2013

For full disclosure, let me first start by saying that I had no intention of staying at this hotel, in the first place. I had booked a trip through a certain European travel website for three Italian cities, and even upgraded the hotels. This was not one I chose for Florence. However, when I got to my hotel of choice, I was told that they had no record of my reservation from my booking company, but would put me in a sister hotel, which was the Palazzo Ricasoli.

It's a bit out of the way, kind of in a quiet part of town, but that's not really their fault. However, what was strange was that they put me in a separate building, which looked nice from the outside, but inside was a concrete shell. The air conditioning did not work, and it was bare bones and very depressing. Nothing appealing about it at all. For a "four star" hotel, you would think that it would be more luxurious than how it is, which is basically an Italian Econo Lodge or Super 8. Then I soon found out that the wireless internet did not work. I went back to the desk and told the woman, who cavalierly said that because it was working on her phone, she did not know (or care?) what the problem was. That's great that it works on your phone, at the reception desk, but how about my room in the other building you put me in? She then gave me an ethernet cable. This did not work either. The only other time I've had a similar experience with an ethernet cable not even working was in sub-Saharan Africa. There it's acceptable. In Florence, Italy, it is not. Meanwhile, I had clients and business to attend to, and could not.

Later on, I went downstairs again - and found an older Indian man working at the desk, and asked him about the internet. He brushed me off and said it works, even though as I was telling him, it did not. In all of the other hotels, my internet worked - and it was turned on. I think I know how it works, so if it's not working, it's your hotel, sir, and not my computer. He spoke down to me in a very condescending tone, and it made me feel like I was back in a college dorm building, not an adult traveler and business owner. I then watched for 20 minutes as he literally yelled at four young travelers, who had booked a room, but were not happy with the accommodations. I believe the hotel had made a mistake with their reservation, and they tried to get him to understand this, but he raised his voice and was shouting over them, until they finally gave up and left.

In addition to this, there were mosquitos in the room, and the bed was entirely too uncomfortable to sleep on. Upon checking out, I encountered the same man as the night before at the reception desk, who was again very nasty. He said that I owed the city tax, and when I politely repeated it to him, as I was handing him my credit card, just to clarify the exact amount, he raised his voice again. "YES SIR! 8!! 8 EUROS!! CITY TAX!!!!" as if I had just insulted his mother. I found it completely inappropriate.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, and like I said, wasn't even my choice of a hotel, but unfortunately, because of my online European travel booking company's mistake, I had really no choice. Stay away!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Steven L
Reviewed July 31, 2013

A beautiful hotel! A little out of the way and the area is not the greatest but the hotel is wonderful! They have excellent breakfasts and the morning cafe is wonderful! There is a laundromat very near by and also a great little pizzeria right behind the hotel! We had a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen, living room and a mini piazza/balcony where you can have morning coffee and evening wine and look out upon the city of Florence.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple