“A Gem in Florence”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #42 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I picked this hotel because we wanted a private balcony with a view, our own bathroom, breakfast included with the rate, and far away from the tourist noise by the Il Duomo but still close enough to be within walking distance to everything. At the Hotel Orto de Medici we got all that we wanted!

First off, even if you don't stay at this hotel be sure to download and pay for the full version of the app mTrip Florence City Guide (they have one for Rome too) to use on your phone. This app was better than any city or hotel map that you get. The app is used offline so you do not have to worry about data usage and it acts as a GPS and shows your exact location and the little arrow even points you in the right direction if you cannot find your way. Plus it shows you things around you (i.e. tourist spots, restaurants, shops, etc). I would enter in the hotel's name anywhere that we were and it would tell me where to go. A fantastic app for everything that we wanted to do or see in Florence!

The front desk staff at the hotel was simply amazing. They were very helpful when checking-in, during our stay, and even helpful after we checked out. Each room key has a huge, weight key-chain and you must leave it at the front desk when you leave during the day. Very helpful as with your bag, camera, guidebook, water bottle, etc it was one last thing to carry or even to lose in Florence. We had the Superior Room with a Balcony. The balcony was really one but split into two with a Jasmine Vine plant. You could barely see the other side of the balcony. Our view was a small portion of the Duomo and Tower and a lovely portion of the hills of Florence. It was peaceful to sit out on the balcony after walking all day and watch the sunset. Our bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. The bathtub does have that have the half glass sheet so be prepared to wet the floor. But we did have hot water each day. The maid service did a great job and their laundry service was fast and not too pricey as well. We took advantage of their breakfast which was out on the courtyard terrace. It basically consists of hard-boiled eggs, croissants, muffins, some fruit, yogurt, coffee and juice. Not too shabby when it is included with your rate. The A/C in our room worked perfectly as well. Do get a room in the main building (not in the more modern rooms across the courtyard) since you will be away from the street noise. The rooms across the courtyard seemed to be next to a bus stop. So even though we were across the way and on the fourth floor we could still hear the bus stop and go somewhat. It did not disrupt us as we were far enough away but I could imagine how it would for those rooms next to it. Other than that there was nothing wrong with the Hotel Orto de Medici during our stay. We would definitely stay here again if we even get the opportunity to return.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third or fourth floor in the main building. Not in the more modern rooms across th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank perez0622
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Perez0622,
I really enjoyed reading your feedback, so full of details. Nice suggestions for next travellers! I just have to say that the room overlooking the garden are all very quiet, and they are in the middles of the block of the city, and there are a building and a garden between them and the public square, so it' impossible to hear noise from there! But thanks for supposing, so I could explain this.
I look forward to seeing you back again.
Grazie!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Orto De Medici

Reviewed July 17, 2013

15 years ago I lived in Marina di Cecina on the west coast of Tuscany. I've spent years raving about how beautiful Florence is and that I consider it the most Beautiful city in the world. My partner decided that this year we would visit. We decided to bring along his mother and sister. The Hotel Orto De Medici lived up to my expectations in every way. Beautiful interiors, the murals in the breakfast room have inspired me. The lounge room is gorgeous and comfortable. The terrace is delightful. The staff were very helpful, even when we wanted cappucino at 10pm! The breakfast ladies were adorable and the breakfasts themselves...well.... best we'd ever had anywhere! We've been home almost a week and miss those morning cappucino's soo much. Our rooms were great. Good sizes and mine and my partners (no 30) was simply perfect. The view across the city roof tops to the dome of the Basilica di San Lorenzo from our room was magical. The only thing we missed, being English, was a cup of tea but then we were in Italy and tea is not a national drink so we adjusted.
A gentle stroll from the hotel down Via San Gallo, Via Ginori and Via de' Martelli (about 8 minutes) bought us to a view I have adored for years...The Duomo and Batistero. When my family saw it they were awestruck. I realised how much I have missed Firenze.
I would recomend the Hotel Orto De Medici for anyone seeking the culture, history and beauty that Florence has. The value and quality of the hotel is terrific and the staff are lovely. They looked after us simple English folk very well.
Grazie a tutti gli hotel (please excuse my Italian..it has been 15 years!)
Sy Reece
Oh, you have to try Barbano's Pizeria by the Piazza della Indipendenza...best pizza and calzoni ever!

Room Tip: Ask for room 30, it's at the front but quiet and has an amazing view, particulary to the left..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sy R

Grazie a te Sy R. Thanks to you for this lovely review!
I didn't know that your visit to Florence was for such a special family occasion, and I was so proud to discover how you enjoyed Florence and the hotel so much!
Florence awaits you back, don't let 15 more years to pass ;-)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a great stay at the hotel. Great room, accommodating staff, very clean, fabulous breakfast, super location in a nice environment. We would stay here again. I asked the hotel to arrange vouchers for us for the Uffizi and Academia and upon our arrival they were waiting for us. I really appreciated this support as it saved us time and money. Great job Orto de Medici. We will stay with you again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Rubyred5063,
I appreciated reading your review, how you enjoyed the room, the staff, the cleanliness, the breakfast and the location! You did not forget any mention! Thank you!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to the main attractions in Florence. Great location because it was located in a quiet area of the city but easy to get to all the sights. Hotel was very clean. We had a wonderfully modern room. They had breakfast every morning and the food was very good. We had a group of 16 including children and everyone was happy! Also, upon returning we realized my daughter left her IPod. I emailed them and they got right back to me and helped me to make arrangements to have it shipped. Very helpful! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Karin,
thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased that you appreciate our location, it's true that the Hotel is situated in quiet street but still in the centre walking distance from all the main attractions, also thank you for mentioning the breakfast and the cleanliness of the rooms this means so much to us.
It's nice to hear the the Ipod has safely arrived in your hands.
Mirela Radu

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

As far as hotels go this is a nice one. The decor was pleasing, the room large and crisp, and the breakfast rather nice, featuring even fresh squeezed orange juice. Had the staff been warm and welcoming I would have rated the Orto as excellent. Aside from one incident with the night man, they were never exactly rude, but there was nothing beyond the most minimal politeness. Check in and check out left much to be desired-upon arrival no one offered us a map, let alone assistance with our luggage. Upon departure the gentlemen at the front desk was rude to my mother while ordering our cabs. Over all, considering the nice rooms and decent breakfast, I might stay there again if I couldnt find anything more economical of the same quality.

Dear Tessa,
I appreciate how you took some time to write a review about the hotel. I cannot hide that I was quite surprised to read it. In ten year of work at Florence Hotel Orto de' Medici it is the first time that a client says a member of the staff was "rude" to him. A wrong attitude or a misunderstanding can always be possible, so I had really appreciate if you could provide more information about the "accident" you had with the front desk staff. I apologize for that. Nevertheless I was pleasantly impressed to read in your next review about Florence (Restaurant Madame Popi) how you talk about a "kind gentlemen at the front desk of our hotel", instead. So I'm glad you were not totally disappointed!

It is good to pretend some extra value about your experience in a special Hotel, but please do not over-expect: 3-stars standard in Italy usually do not includes porterage. If you need a special assistance for especially heavy luggage or reduced mobility of some of the guests, please do not hesitate to ask. We will do our best to help you. We also have a plenty of free maps and we will be more prompt to offer.
Thank you very much, and I hope to see you again in Florence.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The staff was wonderful, the rooms were large, received a free upgrade, and the garden smells amazing when you come back after a long day in the city. I would definitely recommend it!!!

The blackout shades and garden room deluxe were perfect! Plenty of space in the room, closet, and bathroom.

Wonderful experience!!!

Room Tip: Garden room! The blackout shades were fabulous too!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

I am very glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the great feedback and recommending us to others! Kind Regards,
Nicki Sciortino

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This palace looking hotel is walking distance from everything in via gallo. it has an impeccable reception, powerful wifi free in the rooms and all common areas, printers and computers available, a garden, impeccable service and cleanliness and also an outstanding breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries, espressos and cappuccinos, fruit, etc
Also views to the dome from one side of the building
So clearly what is missing for perfection?? Well, not much. The rooms are large, clean and well maintained but not new. Only thing.
Great choice overall and well prices as well.

• Stayed: July 2013
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Joanix, thanks for your nice review. I appreciate how you listed all the impeccable features of the hotel! We are very proud for feedbacks like this. Thank you!