“Good Hotel”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #38 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 26, 2012

It is a very good hotel, good service, the breakfast was ok, i can recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Nicki Sciortino

Write a ReviewReviews (2,225)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked two rooms at the hotel, one triple for my sister, husband and I and one for my aunt and uncle. The rooms were large, clean, nicely furnished and had very good linens. The bathrooms were especially roomy and clean. It was a delight to stay there. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The area was really nice and quiet, with a bus into town right outside the door. But the real surprise considering the small price of the rooms were the breakfast and the wine hour in the evening. The breakfast room was charming and the many choices of danish, cheese, cereal, coffee youghurt etc were wonderful in my experience of Italian breakfast choices. In the evening they set out olives, red and white wine, small snacks and nuts. I will definitely advise all of my friends travelling to Florence to stay here and I will stay there again if I return. Forgot to mention free Internet (which was a godsend to us).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
What a nice review! I think you have just given an excellent vision of the hotel for your friends and our future guests. We hope you visit Florence again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I found my room small and uncomfortable. I woke up to no hot water and a disappointing breakfast. I don't suggest you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Guest,
We are all sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I personally apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately in a hotel like in a home we do experience technical problems that we try to fix as soon as possible. As for the rooms we do have an area in the hotel with very beautiful modern rooms, the deluxe rooms, that were renovated in 2009. If you are ever in Florence again maybe you will give us a second chance and try a different room. Best Regards.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Spacious, clean, quiet, comfortable rooms. Relaxing outdoor areas. Central location and helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you leaving a review. I believe you highlighted some great main points of the Hotel! Thank you.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

A three star hotel that is very conveniently-located on a quite street (Via San Gallo), close to the Duoma, Accademia and the Palazzo de Medici Riccardi. Many good restaurants are also nearby. Our 1st room was in their new wing which is far superior to the 2nd room we had to switch to when we extended our stay. The hotel is clean, a little formal and a pleasant place to stay. Most staff speak English and are helpful. Breakfasts are ample and tasty. The breakfast staff didn’t speak English but once they knew you’re eating preferences, they were very helpful and pleasant – a nice way to start a day! Their Internet support is a little behind as you can’t print anything from the 2 computers made available to guests. It can be (and was a) pain to us when we wanted to print our Florence Passes which we purchased online. We were up to 1 AM with the night desk manager trying to get the passes printed on his printer. While most of the front desk staff were helpful, it was like pulling teeth trying to get cooperation with several of them. They need to add some warmth to the front desk staff and be better prepared for guests who would like to print out their itineraries and local passes.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Madame, I really thank you for your review. It is full of suggestions for improvement, so it is especially precious for us. We offer free use of Mac Computers and free Wi-Fi in all the hotel, but we cannot offer printing system so far. If you can send the pages to print to us with email attachment then we will print them for free (max 10 pages per room), otherwise we can indicate you an internet café nearby, where you can print, up to 10.00 pm, with a few coins.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We chose this hotel based on the great reviews but were disappointed to find our room not as expected.  Clearly the previous reviewers had not stayed in rom 3 on level 1 At check in the receptionist immediately advised us that as we were early he had several additional room choices for us. However he then went on to say these alternative rooms would cost an additional 25 euro per night. We politely declined and decided to stick with our "classic double" reservation. We were then given the key to what the receptionist described as a "nice quiet room" on the first floor.  As it turned out the room we were given is what is described on their website as a "double room for single use".  There was only one set of towels and a bit short on space for two people. The window view is of an enclosed alley, nothing pretty about it and produces very little natural light in the room . I was so so disappointed. It is my husband's first visit to Florence and we are celebrating his half century birthday. I was so looking forward to enjoying a great fiorentine hotel with him in this renaiseance city.  I spent much time reading reviews on hotels before choosing Orto de Medeci and i felt very let down. We did query the room we were given with reception as I believe we booked and paid for the higher category room but they did not agree.  They showed us a better room two levels above but they said we would have to pay extra for it.  Unfortunately this experience has made us feel quite cheated by  Orto de Medici hotel  and that's the last thing you want to feel on holiday. Leaving the room aside, the hotel has a lovely common area for breakfast and the bar area is also very pleasant. We are here Zfor three nights and tonight is our second. As I write this I am listening to music that is playing in the common areas right outside our room. So be warned that these rooms are not sound proofed as described and we were awoken bright and early this morning by the sound of people having breakfast with clanking forks and spoons etc. Not the greatest way to start our day. So based on our experience I would not recommend this hotel as it has not delivered on expectations with respect to the room at all and unfortunately that overshadows the entire experience. Sad really that our memories of Florence will forever be tainted in this way.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tinabert

Dear Madame, I am sorry for your disappointing. When you book a room you should be careful to select the best option for your need. We have 5 different typologies, as regards the double: Classic, Classic with view, Superior, Deluxe and Junior Suite. We do not have a "double room for single use" typology: it is just a discount we offer to clients who want to use a double room even if they are single, just one person. I am also sorry for the mistake with towels, I could give you as many extra as you needed, just if you had ask. If rooms are available we offer the possibility to upgrade at last minute, with a small extra fee which is much smaller than the regular fare. Many reviews say that people usually appreciates this possibility.

We just gave you the category you booked, the pictures are quite clear on the website. I apologize if there was some confusion at the reservation form, and I will forward your complain to the internet booking system provider, to make it even more clear and simple.
I am pleased your nevertheless enjoyed some features like the common areas for breakfast and the terrace bar.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel is really lovely, old world charm with great facilities. Our bedroom was large and roomy. The bathroom was a little small, good idea would be to replace bath with a shower. Reception staff, piano bar staff, breakfast room staff & housekeeping staff are all so warm, friendly & helpful. The hotel is very clean, wel maintained & has a great history. The location is perfect for sightseeing, we walked everywhere, the Duomo, Michaelangelo's David, other sights are very close to the hotel. The hotel is in a limited traffic zone, ring hotel ahead of arrival. Breakfast was included and was a nice spread.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Madame, your review is full of nice tips for the next guests, so I hope it will be read many times. Thanks for your suggestions!