“Nice hotel for a short stay...but left with a smelly memory”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #51 of 421 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel for a short stay...but left with a smelly memory”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights from 01-04 March 2012 based on Tripadvisor reviews. I found it to be of decent price and value. The breakfast, which had a great selection and was included is the main reason why I am giving the hotel a higher rating. The hotel decor is beautiful - giving it a very boutique hotel type feel. We had a classic room (which faced the street). Room was spacious and tidy. Having free wifi and extra lounges for guest use were also definite pluses.

However, because our room was facing the street, it got really noisy at night. It ranged from general street noise of chatter from people at the nearby restaurants and bars to cleaning trucks late at night. We were on the 2nd floor and could still hear the noise. So if you are a light sleeper, I would recommend you ask for a room not facing the street.

I wanted to give this hotel a higher rating....but unfortunately, my first night at the hotel was very unpleasant. Normally i am a deep sleeper, able to sleep through any noise. But on our first night, in the middle of the night, I was woken up by a very loud truck/machine making noise on the street for what seemed like 2 hours. At around the same time, our room started to absolutely stink of sewage. The smell was so strong and horrible that neither myself or my friend could sleep that night. Even by the morning (after the noise/work had stopped), the smell still lingered in our room. it was that bad. When I mentioned it to reception, I was informed that the hotel had their septic system/ pipes flushed and maintained last night. The guy at front desk apologised and noted there would not be a repeat occurrence of this during our stay. Apparently they only do this once every 5 years so we were extremely unlucky. The remaining nights were fine (apart from the general street noise I mentioned earlier) and the rest of our stay pleasant.

I realise that it was bad luck that our first night happened to be the one night the hotel decides to flush out their sewage system. And whilst I appreciated the apology, it would have been nice for hotel to provide a small gesture, it could have been a written apology note with a couple pieces of chocolate and I would have been happier. Just an acknowledgement that they cared about their guests' experience. From other reviews I'd read here, it seems the hotel went out of their way to make the guests' stays a bit nicer so perhaps I came to half expect something.

Overall, despite being left with a "stinking" impression, I would likely still recommend this hotel for a short stay. But ask for a non street facing room and perhaps double check that the hotel will not be doing any sewage systems maintenance during your stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street. This may cost more but will be worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Mademoiselle, thanks for leaving your impression about how you enjoyed the selection of the breakfast, the room and the free wi-fi. I am sorry for the special maintenance inconvenience during your stay. It is something exceptional that happens once every 5 years or something. I really appreciate your suggestion of leaving a small gesture for such issues, I will surely do if something would happen another time.
I apologize again for the inconvenience.
Francesco Bini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jensen Beach, FL
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Walking distance to leather market, Uffici, Accademia,Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, etc. A bit pricier than others, but well worth the little extra cost. Helpful staff, lovely outdoor garden terrace, comfortable rooms, nice bathrooms, free wi-fi in lobby plus two computers for guest use. Only small negative-breakfast room small, however manageable. Many restaurants nearby. Try Ristorante Trattoria da Tito. Exit hotel, walk right a few blocks, restaurant on same side as hotel. Absolutley fun place with good food.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thanks for leaving your positive impressions and some suggestion for the next travellers. I am happy to read you enjoyed the location of the hotel, the staff, the rooms and the facilities.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in February 2012 and very much enjoyed it. We had a garden view room. It was very roomy and the bathroom had a huge tub and seperate shower. The tv got a ton of stations (but only 1 English speaking one). They even left me a note on my birthday. The people at the front desk were very helpful with directions. I got a very good price, almost half of what it cost of the hotel in Rome. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Madame, I suppose you stayed in our special Junior Suite room with garden view. I am very proud to read you enjoyed your stay, especially in the occasion of your birthday. Thanks for sharing your impressions and I hope to see you soon again in Florence!
Cleveland
Reviewed February 27, 2012

my first time in this hotel and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Room was large and airy with a nice, clean bathroom, although the hotel is on a main road and our room overlooked the road, there was no disturbance from traffic or passers by. Hotel staff were polite and courteous and the breakfast was varied, plentiful and very continental. Hotel is centrally located and close to main attractions. We paid a very reasonable price to stay here and it was worth every penny. I would highly recomend it and when i return i will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, if you are especially sensitive to noise you can make a special request for a room on the backside, or book a room with garden view. Nevertheless our street is pretty quiet, due to the Limited Traffic Zone where it is located in. I am glad that you were very satisfied with your hotel experience in Florence and you wil recommend us and select us for your next stay.
Brussels
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Good:
Friendly hotel staff, clean rooms.
The hotel "breaths out" history and its location makes it ideal to visit all the nice and interesting places of Firenze.
Two iMacs are available for everyone to use at the reception hall. Wi-Fi is free and available on every floor.
On the first floor there is a great, quiet reading room / library.
On arrival, we were presented a little book with the history of the hotel and of the world famous family De Medici as well.
Also, in the direct neighbourhood are lots of restaurants and café 's who serve traditional dishes.
...
Not so good: Unfortunately, we only stayed for 2 nights.

Room Tip: The room on the backside (overlooking the garden) is very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the nice feedback, I am very proud to read all the list of things you liked (Hotel history, computers, wi-fi, reading room, etc.) and that the only thing you disliked was leaving too early! There's always a good reason to come back to Florence, you can also check the events in town through our Facebbok fan page.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I chose this hotel based on recommendations on tripadvisor, and it was an excellent choice. We've spent a great deal of time in Florence, and we like to have easy walking access to the centro so we can enjoy the old city absent the daytime crowds.

The staff of the Orto de Medici is attentive, friendly and responsive. Our room, a king for two, was large by European standards and the bathroom was surprisingly large with a bath/shower combination. The hotel offered a bountiful, free breakfast and free WiFi. There is also a lovely central garden around a fountain, though this pleasure was not available to us since our visit was in February.

The hotel is a two minute walk from Piazza San Marco where many bus lines intersect, ten minutes from the Central Market, and another five or so from Piazza Repubblica. Virtually everything we wanted to see or do was within walking distance, and considering how much you'll be inclined to eat in Florence, you'll need to do some walking.

Have an expresso from Roberto on the corner across the street, and don't miss lunch at Mario's, one of the top ten restaurants in Florence. It's across from the northeast corner of the Central Market. When you ask to be seated, tell them Felippo Bicicletta sent you.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room if you're staying for a while.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Your review is very detailed, thanks for listing all the things you enjoyed in the hotel and leaving so many good suggestions for next travellers!
scotland
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from the 13th -17th February. We arrived at around mid night and were not shown where to go to our room. As it was midnight we didn't want to make any noise in trying to get into the room so I went back to reception and the night porter came and showed us how to get into the room. The room was lovely and the bathroom was one of the nicest bathrooms i have had in a hotel. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this was comparable.
The ambience of the hotel was second to none and gave you the feeling of truly being in Florence and I my mind could not help trying to think of it in Michaelangelo's time.
The staff in the breakfast room were extremely welcoming especially the lady in charge who could not do enough for us.
The reception staff were excellent in giving directions and locations for places to eat.
mimo's accross the road was a nice restauarant bit pricey for just having something to eat and the other restaurant giardalino was good and not as pricey but not the same atmosphere as mimo's.
the hotel is not far at all from anywhere i was really pleased wiith this as my husband has mobility problems.
This hotel was a good find and a good price.
One thing I would say and this is by no means a complaint. I straighten my hair and I could not do this in the bathroom or dressing room as there was no electric socket but i couldn't do this in the bedroom as there was no mirror. I found myself going between the two rooms to do my hair.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends and thoroughly enjoyed my stay

Room Tip: We had a deluxe garden room and it was lovely. i would pick this again.
2 Thank finbob
Thanks for your review, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions to improve. I am glad to read how you enjoed the bathroom size and decoration and the atmosphere of the hotel. It is our pleasure to have guests so sensitive to the history of Florence, enjoying to discover its beauties! Thank you!