“Great Location, Great desk staff”
Review of Hotel Medici

Hotel Medici
Ranked #375 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was staying with a group of choir -- Cantabile -- from Petah-Tiqwa Israel in Medici hotel. We loved the hotel. It's location is superior. Out of the Balcony on the 6th flour you can practically touch the Duomo. I had a nice spacey room on the 5th flour and so did the rest of my group. We stayed 5 night in the hotel attending the Florence International Choir . It would have been the perfect hotel ever if an aircondition system would have been constructed in the rooms, but I guess than it would have been a 5 star hotel and not a 2d one …
The hotel has nice room. clean. basic breakfast, but lovely spirit.
I recommend this hotel and would like to thank the staff at the front desk for being attended and willing to help us a lot.

Room Tip: Higher floor - the 5th one was very good. though noisy but it's a part of the location. near the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FRANKLGAMMER

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked a room for one, but in the end 3 other friends tagged along, just for one night.
The lady at the counter was very sweet, and she upgraded us to a big beautiful room for a night, and after my friends left, i moved to a single one for the rest of my stay alone.

This hotel is literally next to the duomo...In the heart of Florence. 10mins walk from firenze santa maria stn...My single room included a huge bed, with a clean room, nice toilet and my favourite, a huge window. (not a great view though). But their rooftop more than made up for it, with a view of florence, where at night...it was breathtaking, you can see the intricacies of the duomo from the rooftop. However, iby midnight, someone comes and chases you away quite rudely to lock it up.

I really loved my stay there. And also, i arrived quite late one night (about 2am) and the front of the hotel was locked as the receptionist was aleep. That took a lot of frantic banging to get in that night. I did not eat breakfast there. But just below, there is a gorgeous pastry/coffee bar that sells amazing hot chocolate and sweets.

Come for the good rooms, beyond excellent location, perfect housekeeping and most of all, the breathtaking rooftop view

Room Tip: I think they have another building if the main one is booked, but if you have a choice, try not to m...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank moonlight1010
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My friend and I have recently returned from our holiday in Florence. We stayed at The Medici Hotel for our entire stay in the city. You couldn’t be closer to the heart of the city if you tried. Literally at the Dumo or Piazza Republica in a matter of seconds from the front door. We could even see the people in the bell tower from our bedroom window. However we weren’t expecting the bells; unless you full heartedly intend to wake at 7am every morning with the church bells, bring ear plugs. This is a problem you will have no matter where you stay in the city. The room was basic as expected, but very clean and welcoming. The staff were friendly, welcoming, helpful and charming (except the older man with a lot of ear rings, he was persistently rude). Any questions we had they were more than happy to answer, even "where’s the best place to watch the football?" got a really helpful answer. Definitely good value for money, I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bethan M
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We chose this hotel for the price and the location. It was a 10 minutes walk from the Railway Station. Our room was nice with two doors opening up on a large balcony. There were no A/C (only a little fan) but we could open up the doors to have nice fresh air. But, since this is really near the Duomo, do not sleep the doors open, there is a lot of noise! They washed the streets at night when we were there and it made so much noise it was ridiculous. The room was clean, the shower thought was pretty small. As for the breakfast, don't bother having one at the Hotel. They only serve you two bread rolls per person, with orange juice and coffee. If you tend to pick an hotel for the "breakfast included", pass your turn for this one. One thing that we really appreciated, is the rooftop terrace. You have the best view of the Duomo right in front of you. Also, the personal was helpful when we asked for places to go. An overall great hotel for the price!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mirilya
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I ended up enjoying my stay in Florence at the Medici Hotel despite the first night resembling an early Peter Sellers' film. I (thought I) had paid for a single room with ensuite but perhaps the Italian staff do not use the French term? The room had a small shower behind a curtain but the toilet and larger shower were up the corridor, available for the occupants of three rooms - OK for backpackers but not for me. The staff were not taken aback at all by my complaint (the first of three I would make that evening) that I had not received what I had paid for and promised another room for the remaining four nights of my stay. Then there was no hot water for a shower, either in my room or in the public bathroom. The person in charge tried the taps in vain and eventually found that the problem was hotel-wide and would be fixed within the hour (actually next morning). Thirdly, I lay on my bed wearily contemplating how I would sleep, unshowered and with the noise of the holiday-makers' animated stories coming through the thin walls from the room next to mine (on the 6th floor) was suddenly an explosion of sorts filled the air. I threw open my window (nearly knocking over two people sitting outside it on a narrow balcony) to find that I was a stone's throw from Giotto's belltower at the Duomo...the deafening clanging lasted for a full minute and when it broke loose again an hour later (at one minute to 9pm), I jumped up from my half-sleep shouting with alarm but then collapsed onto the bed again in laughter. Perhaps it was Monty Python and not Peter Sellers. The single room to which I was moved next day was at the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor and, beautifully quiet and simple, was more than adequate, furnished in Medici-style plus ensuite, and nicely Florentine in ambience.
Breakfast on the first floor was continental-boring (bread rolls, biscuits and self-served hot drink). Wi-fi is available in this first floor area but not always reliably accessed. Also, you can't use the tables for your computer when breakfast is being set up the night before or in the morning. But you get used to the 'system' of the hotel if you stay long enough; the staff were very helpful, and if you're not on the 6th floor in 'that' room, well positioned to find Florence's real values.

Room Tip: Depending on whether you like your hours being organized by the Bell of the cathedral, choose or avo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Breakfast included lol what a joke - 2 bread rolls - shower no curtain -didn't spray properly don't bother staff rude as well

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Novashine007
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was attracted by the price but ... It cost me dearly! The brand pants at the hotel have gone forgotten. I should not have left them in the closet, obviously, but what kind of the staff that makes the room ?!?
During a thorough cleaning it seems impossible not to notice the presence of forgotten pants! Moreover, when I called back after a few days (four) I was told that it was too late: anyway they gave me a lot of good words and justifications, but eventually these blessed trousers were evaporated! Also, I delivered my car asking to verbalize the status of the car. The manager looked at me as if I were a Martian, but the day we left they brought me ANOTHER CAR!!!! They justified this with a double registration in the same room…. Ambiguity resolved, but thankfully I have not suffered neither damage or the theft of the car , otherwise I would not have had any way of protecting my rights. I have too say that manager had made sarcastic comments saying that their service was comparable to the Swiss one! Last but least: staff disorganized and confused.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family