“decent but beware non-smokers”
Review of Hotel Malaspina

Hotel Malaspina
Ranked #285 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and can honestly say that I slept very well. When I first arrived, I immediately noticed the smell of smoke in the room and then noticed the ash tray. I have an allergy to smoke and also have laryngeal difficulties and so am very susceptible to smoke. I immediately went back down to the front desk and asked if they had a non-smoking room. Since I have a deep and scratchy voice, it is often misconstrued that I smoke! They showed me another room that smelled just the same as the first and since I liked the location of the first room better, I decided to stay in that one. Apparently they do not have specific non-smoking rooms and since they provide ash trays in the rooms, "people can smoke in their private room". My neighbor did and I was awakened one morning by the smell of smoke. Still my room was very well situated, the staff kindly supplied an air freshener specifically for cigarette smoke and left it in my room. The staff were very nice. The room was also very quiet and situated right next to a park. I was right over the lobby and heard nothing from below. The breakfast (only until 10 AM even on weekends) was very good. I would strongly recommend to the hotel owners that they consider making one of their floors a non-smoking floor for those of us who really need it. Knowing that anyone can smoke in all the rooms will prevent me from staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank lynn2312

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel Malaspina for one night on May 31 as part of an organized tour. I had asked for two extra nights before the tour began, but the hotel did not have any availability, so the tour company put me up at the Hotel Donatello next door. The Hotel Malaspina is well run and the staff is very helpful. The room was on the small side, but clean and nicely furnished. The hotel provides a very good breakfast. My one caution about this hotel is that it is located on a very busy and very noisy corner. Initially they put me in a room facing the street, but I asked for a room facing the interior and my room was very quiet. But if you're a light sleeper or noise bothers you, I think a room facing either street would be a very bad experience. If you don't want to risk getting a room facing the street, you might consider the Hotel Donatello next door, which is not on the corner and faces a street with no through-traffic. If I could be guaranteed a room facing the interior, I would definitely stay at the Malaspina again. The hotel is within walking distance of the train station and the major cultural sights in Florence. The hotel staff is helpful and allowed me, without any charge, to store my luggage for the afternoon after the 11 am checkout.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper or noise bothers you, make sure to get a room facing the interior.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Good location close to train station. Staff all polite and friendly and room comfortable , spacious and well cleaned.

Continental breakfast had good choice in nicely laid out room.

Would recommend as a good value hotel within walking distance of all the sights.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JacksonShropshire
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The location is perfect, no doubt. Unfortunately, the staff obviously couldn't care less about us or questions we posed. It's one thing to catch one person on a bad day, but BOTH receptionists on both days during every encounter were not only rude, but clearly had an agenda. We were told the only restaurant open on Sunday was a $30.00 cab fare (each-way) and nothing within walking distance. We inquired about the place we dined the previous night and were told it was closed. Our cab took us past 15 open restaurants with in a 10 minute walk. We then stopped the cab and found a great place on the square, no reservations needed, and walked home, past the previous nights location which was open. No apology. Plus no desire to offer directions or answers questions thought-out our entire stay. It was not a welcoming experience. I would avoid this one.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jill H
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Malaspina for 3 nights and loved it! We arrived early and were able to check in early. We arrived at the main rail station and walked to our hotel. It was about a 10 minute walk but it was perfectly manageable with 1 rolling suitcase each. We found the staff to be courteous and helpful.

We were delightfully surprised that we were given a room with a balcony overlooking the piazza. We loved standing out on the balcony watching people walk their dogs or play cards in the piazza. The room was very clean and everything in it was updated. The breakfast was good--standard Italian breakfast foods like pastries, coldcuts, cheese, coffee. We walked from the hotel everywhere so the location is very convenient. We would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Me and my Mum stayed here recently for a long weekend. Firstly they double booked us so we had to stay in a hotel around the corner for the 1st night (Hotel Corona - so much better) when we got to the Malaspina the next morning the guy on reception was on the phone for around 15 minutes laughing and joking while we waited to be spoken to. Not once did he apologise or even acknowledge they'd made a mistake at our inconvenience. He literally dumped the keys on the desk and turned around. In the morning we asked where breakfast was being served - he snapped 'Downstairs to your left' without even looking up.
The double room was really nice and spacious, I was in a single room though which was teeny tiny. In the bathroom your knees touch the wall when you go to the toilet..! The plus was both rooms were very nice and clean. Unfortunately the breakfast was pretty rubbish too. After being asked twice by a member of staff what room number we were (trust me, I wouldn't wanna sneak in there for a free brekkie...) we had powdered orange juice and chewy croissants from a packet. For the rest of our holiday we went out for breakfast.
When we left to go to the airport, the guy on reception was chatting away to another member of staff and didn't even look up, I put the keys on the reception desk and he just grabbed them and turned around. Didn't say thank you, goodbye or even bother to look up at us.
The hotel is in a great location, that is the only plus - the service is so so terrible I would definitely not go back there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Lauren P
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We were very impressed with this hotel - it seems to be a superior 3 star. The location is great, esp if you arrive via the train station. It's very easy to find and quite central. We had a large, elegant room overlooking the Piazza. The view is lovely, but if you like the window open, it may be too noisy. The breakfast was good - lots of choice and plenty of food. The only slightly negative points were the lack of a single English tv channel - even CNN - and the pillows, which were like slabs of concrete. Even so, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple