“Well-Located Hotel with Good Breakfast and Comfortable Bedroom BUT Cramped Shower Room - Good Value”
Review of Hotel Jane

Hotel Jane
Ranked #188 of 412 Hotels in Florence
London, UK
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my 6 full-day visit to see the sights of Florence. Please fell free to access it via my TA Profile - I hope it is of interest and use to you and I hope all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly as I know from past experience that the Trip Advisor submission process sometimes, incorrectly, 'blocks' them despite me being a so-called 'Senior Contributor'.....

I stayed at the Hotel Jane in mid-February 2012 for 7 nights and found it to be all that I had hoped for, being well-appointed, comfortable, quiet and in a good location for accessing the wonderful cultural attractions of this compact, often busy city. I did however have a couple of fairly major misgivings about the en-suite shower room...

I had actually booked my stay via Expedia for a room in the Hotel Orcagna, but after phoning beforehand to check my booking was OK (always worth doing, just in case !) I was informed that the hotel was closed and I was re-allocated to their 'sister' hotel, the 'Jane'. I am always suspicious of events such as these as, despite never having experienced it before, I have read reviewer 'horror stories' about the substitute being a inferior and unsatisfactory. However, I was assured by the hotel staff on the phone that there was no problem and that the change was 'a good thing' as the Jane was 1-star better, provided a superior breakfast and (most important to satisfy my concerns) was directly opposite the Orcagna on the same street and my room was of the same standard.

Having no real choice I proceeded as planned and I'm happy to say that whilst I can't say if the Jane is worse/the same/better than the Orcagna, the location was indeed effectively unchanged and nothing about the Jane caused me concern...

I paid £300 via Expedia for 7-nights B&B in an 'Economy' double room - a rate that compared favourably with similarly specified/rated hotels and which increased dramatically in the few weeks closer to when I stayed.

The only 'extra' was a locally-charged city tax which was EU3 per person, per night - payable in cash.

The one-way street on which both hotels are located is narrow and relatively quiet for a busy city such as Florence. My room was at the back of the hotel and was perhaps even quieter - great for a peaceful nights sleep !

Bus access is very good, with a walk of no more than 200m from/to either stop (they run on different one-way east/west roads) for the '14' bus which gets you from/to the main railway station. A short walk of 1 block north then 100m west gets you to a 'proper' large, well-stocked 'Coop' supermarket with prices about as good as you're going to get in expensive Italy (for us non-Euro Brits !). Just as important, walk 100m further west from the supermarket and you get to the main north/south road of Viale Gramsci and the Piazza Cesare Beccaria which have a much wider range of bus options.

Yes, you can get to the city centre on foot from the hotel (it's just over 1km to Duomo for example) but as my stay was quite lengthy and I was going to be on my feet a lot during the day I preferred to rest my feet for that part of the 'journey' each day (and maximised the cost-effectiveness of my 7-day city travelcard !) - see the Public Transport section of my Trip List for more info....

The front desk staff were efficient, courteous and helpful. On arrival, you should get a comprehensive tourist 'briefing' with everything explained and then annotated on a city map.

My room was pleasingly roomy and smartly decorated, with a large double-bed (metal frame type, not dormer), 2 x bedside cabinets with drawers, integral hanging space cupboard, a drawered desk (which the modern flat-screen TV sat on in the corner) which also housed the small fridge (even in coldish February this proved useful !), a luggage shelf and (nearer to the entrance door) the shower room.

The shower room is the only thing I had an issue with. It was clean/tidy etc but too small to accommodate a basin, WC, shower cubicle AND a bidet. Worse still, the bidet actually gets 'pride of place' to the detriment of the WC and clearly also limits the size of the shower cubicle. The WC is crammed right up against the divider to the shower cubicle, making it a real squeeze to 'access' (see my photos, which I hope get posted by TA...) and the shower cubicle is long but VERY narrow, meaning it is also something of a challenge to move around in - exacerbated by the floor of it being quite slippery (no anti-slip adornments). It is so narrow that if you did slip I think most people would not actually fall to the floor, but instead get 'wedged' in some contorted way in suspended animation between the cubicle walls ! Another problem was that the cubicle door was not full-length, meaning you had to keep the spray in the far end otherwise water would escape into the rest of the shower room ! No bidet = more space for the WC and a potentially larger shower cubicle - a worthwhile sacrifice of the bidet which I never used in my opinion....

Happily, that was the only bad issue with the hotel for me. Room Wifi access was good, the heating effective (not warm enough to try the AC, but it is so-equipped) and note that the electricity sockets are of the smaller round-pin variety.

The included breakfast was quite adequate (cold meats, jams, rolls, juices, croissant, yoghurts, cereals) but fresh fruit would have been nice. Coffee is in jugs alongside the foodstuffs, but note it is the stronger, almost espresso, type - you can however get cappuccino made to-order by the attendant and friendly catering lady who uses a machine located in the adjacent bar. The dining area was roomy, well furnished and offered an outside view of sorts although you are in the basement looking up to ground level !

So, all in all I enjoyed my stay in the Hotel Jane and found it to be good value, offering a handy location for nearby facilities and city/transport access. Yes, I did not find the arrangement in the ensuite shower room to be good but the problems it presented were not insurmountable.

Room Tip: Facing the back, furthest from the lift shaft/stairwell.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank LPWilliams
giona64, Responsabile reception at Hotel Jane, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
thanks a lot for your review.
Hope to welcoming you again to Hotel Orcagna or as well to Hotel Jane .
Kind Regards.
All the Staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
worcester
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel was the perfect place for our short break in Florence. The owner Gianni and his staff could'nt have done any more to make our stay more enjoyable . Our room was on the forth floor at the front with a small balcony overlooking the main street . Room 40, was large , tastefully decorated in peach , a new bathroom with drench shower. Plenty to eat at breakfast and as mentioned in previous reviews, a twenty minute walk to the centre of Florence along streets lined with cafes, taverna's etc. We found the perfect pizza restaurant, over the Ponte Vechio , along Via Maggio called Gusto. Amazing !! Opens at 7.00pm , don't be late if you want to sit down !! Do go there . Also Gianni recommended a local restaurant to the Hotel , La Taverna. We ate there and loved it . A gem of a place with authentic Italian food and friendly staff. Don't miss out on this one . Loved Florence . Will be back to the Hotel Jane again ,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank scrumbo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We found this to be a nice hotel. Upon check-in we were assisted by a lovely lady who was very helpful at explaining what to do in Florence.
Our room was comfortable. We had a little balcony which was nice. The bathroom was small and the shower was very tight.
The hotel is a nice 25 minute walk from the centre, along the river for most of the way. There is also a bus stop about 5 minutes away by foot if you choose not to walk.
Breakfast is very good with a nice variety available.

The city itself is wonderful. There is so much to see, even if you are not a lover of art. Piazza Michelangelo is a must-see to get amazing views over the city.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Junky87
giona64, Responsabile reception at Hotel Jane, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear guest,
what a beautiful review!
This is exactly our goal! We are very happy you have appreciated your staying in our hotel and that you had brought a good memories with you of our beautiful city.
We hope to welcoming you soon again in our hotel.
Thank you!
Best Wishes
The "Lovely Lady"
and
All the Staff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have no issues with small rooms and bathrooms, since that is to be expected in Europe. What I do have a problem with is employees who do not do their job. I asked the man working the front desk in the evening to make a reservation for me at a specific restaurant. He proceeds to give me directions, so I politely correct him, and he goes on to tell me there is no need for reservations at restaurants in Florence this time of the year. I insist, since my book says that reservations are required and he refuses. Next night, I walk all the way to the restaurant and guess what! RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. I have never been to a hotel where I have been refused my request outright and it ruined my last night in Florence. Not to mention, the walls were very thin and I could hear pretty much everything else going on, and I too received a number of bites, although I think they were mosquito bites from the open window. Lastly, there is breakfast but its pretty mediocre. And don't expect the woman who waits on you to actually do her job. We went down for breakfast and at least 8 other guests also arrived and 10 minutes later she was still busy chatting at the front desk, rather than coming to see if any of us wanted cappucinos or espressos. When my mother went to ask for a cappucino, the woman told her to bring her cup over, instead of coming to get in. Awful. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it for anyone else.

The only positive of this is Lucia, who gave us a map and highlighted routes we could take to the center of town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Christina C
giona64, Proprietario at Hotel Jane, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Dear guest,
I read your review and I can only give her reasons,
I'm sorry for what happened during your stay,
our goal is always to try to do our best to accommodate the customer, apparently this time something went wrong.
I apologize personally and I would love to see you soon wish me the best possible welcome back Jane hotel.
The Holder
Giona Zoppi
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed November 8, 2011

small hotel,the room was tiny and bathroom u couldnt swing a cat in it,we were right beside the life which was very noisy and keep us awake,the bed was like a single bed,and got bites from the bed. only good thing was the woman who told us things to do.

Room Tip: tell them you dont want the ones beside the lift
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank pammymurph
giona64, Responsabile reception at Hotel Jane, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Dear Guests,
thanks for have appreciated my job to help you and we regret that you are disappointed about the room, your room was an economy double room with french double bed as explained in all booking systems it is smaller.
I am not sure if you have tryed to ask to change room but for sure if was not full , we could change in a Standard double room with a small difference in the price.
Although we couldn't satisfy all your expectative, thanks for your review that help us to do always better.
Hope to welcoming you again in a bigger room.
Sincerely
Lucia
The woman at reception
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed here for three nights recently and we were very unsatisfied. Our room which was no bigger than a shoe box was right beside the lift which was very noisy and had us awake half the night. We both got what we'd assume was bed bites all over our legs and feet and when we asked to be changed room we were quickly declined. The location was good and the lady on reception was amazing and couldn't have helped us anymore with things to do on our trip, directions and tours to do.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We quite liked this hotel. We took a taxi from the train station but could have easily taken the 14A or 14B bus. The stop is about a block from the hotel. They were very nice at the front desk and checked us in a few minutes before noon which we appreciated. The room was clean and decently sized. The bathroom was really nice and renovated. Our room faced the street but since the area is quiet we were not disturbed by road noise. The beds were quite comfy and we slept until almost 10am! One note - they are quite quirky about breakfast. We popped in for breakfast about 10 one morning. The tables were still set and ALL of the food was still out on the buffet table. We grabbed a very quick breakfast but were still chastised by the front desk that breakfast was closed. Weird that the lights and all food was out. Next morning came down for an early morning breakfast but was still chastised that I had a table for four when we were only two. Did I mention the restaurant was empty? LOL!Like I said, quirky about breakfast - which was adequate. There is a tasty restaurant around the corner on Arnolfo. I think this may be it for the neighborhood but it was good and we ate there both nights which is usually against our travel rules. A note about Florence - do make museum reservations before you go - especially to see David at the Accademia. Do it directly on the museum website not through a resaler which will cost quite a bit more. Also, if you don't get tickets, then go to the museum an hour or so before closing. We got in to the Uffizzi that way with no wait. You wind up doing the museum fast but at least you are in. The climb to the top of the Duomo is horrible but so worth the view of the Dome up close and the view of the city isn't bad either. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
giona64, Responsabile reception at Hotel Jane, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Customer,
we are very happy you enjoyed our hotel,
reception, bathroom, cleaning and everything else.
We regret the disappointment of Time and breakfast available at the tables,
We hope that our rules will have been explained with kindness and we hope to be able to welcome back Jane Hotel.
Our Best Regards