We recently spent two very enjoyyable nights at Il Guelfo. The hotel itself is charming. It is located in an old building and the high ceilinged rooms with frescos on the ceiling give you the feeling of a truly authentic Italian expereince.
The location is perfect for touring the city. It is a very short walk (<5 minutes) to the cathedral (il Duomo), the Medici Chapel or the gallery where Michelangelo's David is. Even the main art gallery (the Uffizi) and the Pont Vecchio are just a comfortable 15 minute walk away, on streets that are largely closed to any vehicles.
The buffet breakfast was included and very good - a wide enough range to satisfy North American and Europeran tastes. Food was largely locally sourced and included organic and sustainable ingredients in a number of instances.
I presume the above comments could be made about many hotels in Florence. The thing that most impressed us though was the staff. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Particular credit goes to Antonella who's consistently positive, upbeat nature was infectious. She dealt with requests quickly and effectively, but more importantly, had a special ability to anticipate needs and advise you on things you might want to consider, striking the perfect balance between being caring and helpful, but not intrusive and pushy. She is the real jewel at Il Guelfo.
If you are looking for an authentic boutique hotel with a perfect location, good breakfast and wonderful staff you won't go wrong here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is right in the city center, between Piazza Duomo and Piazza San Marco , few steps away from Accademia (the museum where you can see the famous DAVID by Michelangelo). It's housed in two late 15th century building next each other. All rooms are different in size and position - executive rooms have a standard size - superior rooms are larger - de luxe and junior suite are very large with a sitting area. We have rooms overlooking the courtyard, gardens and several rooms overlooking Via Cavour which is the main street but 70% pedestrian and so it's not too noisy. All rooms have triple glasses and double windows. WI/FI available in all the rooms and the drawing rooms and it's free of charge if you have your own laptop or i-phone or i-pad. Bistrot restaurant next door "IL DESCO" open every day (12 till 10,30 pm but on Sunday it closes at 3,00 pm) with good menu' all day long (many organic products directly by the owner's farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Il Guelfo Bianco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Guelfo Bianco Florence
- Il Guelfo Bianco Hotel Florence