“dissapointed”

Ranked #29 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Scotland
“dissapointed”
Reviewed October 4, 2006

Myself and two friends stayed in this hotel for 2 nights last weekend. I think I must have built up my expectations too high when reading the reviews on this site.
ROOM - I had asked for a non-smoking room, but the one we received stank of cigar smoke. The room was large and to the back of the hotel as requested, therefore very quiet. However, the room had no natural light coming in and was very dark and the carpet was quite stained. On a plus side, the bathroom was lovely and had a great shower.
BREAKFAST - probably the worst breakfast we have had in a hotel. Very poor choice, and extra charge for fresh fruit salad (although it did have a notice up telling you this). I have been to Pisa, Rome and Milan - all much better breakfasts.
STAFF - The staff were mostly helpful and recommend a great restaurant for the Saturday night. But on check-out, we were charged 290 euros per night and not 260 euros as booked through hotels.com. The woman said, very aggressively, that we would have to take it up with them. I felt quite intimidated by her reaction.
LOCATION - the location was ideal, not too far from anywhere.
FLORENCE - WONDERFUL !
I wouldn't go back to this hotel - we paid more than our original budget, because we thought we were getting something special - but we didn't!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smelly room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank crazycross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dorset, UK
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We stayed for three nights and were very impressed with this hotel. We were given Room 228, a very large double, with a separate seating area and beautiful wooden trellised ceiling. The bathroom was good - the shower was powerful, and the screen was solid rather than a clammy curtain. Everything was really clean. The bed was very big, two three foot singles pushed together as is normal in Italy. What distinguishes the hotel is the staff, who were great, and the owner's collection of modern art; original and beautiful artworks are in your room and throughout the hotel. Breakfast was fine - a self service buffet of boiled eggs, cereals, bread, croissants and fruit salad at extra charge. My only criticism is the street noise - we closed the shutters but could still hear traffic from the very busy via Cavour. However we got used to it by the third day, and if you had a higher floor I am sure it would be better. The location was good - we were five minutes walk from the Duomo and about 12 minutes from the Ponte Vecchio.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank purbeck
riverside california
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco twice in September 2006. I stayed in room 339 for 3 nights and then in 102 for one. Room 339 was a great room, virtually a suite with a very nice bathroom. Room 102 was much smaller but still fine for one person. My one complaint is that both of the rooms were on Via Cavour, which is a very loud street. Even the double windows did not block out the noise. I would recommend that if you are noise sensitive at all that you either bring earplugs or make sure you stay in a room not on the street. The hotel's location is fantastic and staff was fine (although allegedly made dinner reservations at a restaurant that was closed that night and never bothered to tell us). I think I would stay here again as long as I got a back room.

• Liked — charming rooms, excellent location
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Tips/Secrets — don't get room on the street
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank attytrav.
Gold Coast
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I am a travel agent, so I am quite picky with my hotels & I found this hotel excellent value for money, it is extremely well kept & has everything u need. It is a lovely restored property with a perfect blend of mixing ambience of the past with all the modern ammenties you would expect . Very boutique, very well located and the staff were fantastic and extremely helpful.

• Liked — The boutique feel & how well restored it was & the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — For boutique european hotels it had modern ammenties like flat screed TV, new bathrroms, securit
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CTuk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We recently returned from a trip to Italy and one of the highlights of our travels was our stay at the Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco - it was all any traveler could want in a small hotel. The staff was friendly, courteous, went out of their way to offer restaurant advice, tour advice. Antonella even went so far as to reserve space at The Last Supper in Milan for us - made all our resevations for everything from a private trip to "The Mall" to viewing "David" and the Uffizi. Nolen gave us restaurant advice that led us to places we would never have discovered on our own and were rewarded with wonderful food and great service. Alessio was ever-friendly and even repaired a damaged suitcase - going out of his way to help make certain we could continue traveling with it! The breakfast was good, the hotel was quiet, clean and very well-cared for - it was updated with all the modern conveniences without losing any of the appeal of being in a historic building. I would recommend staying here for anyone who is looking for a smaller hotel but still really wants something nice! Did I mention that the location was superb - steps away from the Duomo and The Academy (the David) and close to every shopping spot you could want in Florence.

2 Thank Ellen K