“Smashing hotel in brilliant location”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

and 1 more site!
Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #30 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I selected this hotel based on positive Tripadvisor reviews and it exceeded expectations. The room may not have been ideal for travellers with limited mobility, as it was necessary to go up and down some stone stairs to reach it, but this did not present any problems for those with reasonable mobility. The room I got overlooked a small internal courtyard and had a large balcony. As it wasn't on the main road at the front of the hotel, it was very quiet. There was free wifi, good sized bathroom and a comfortable firm bed.
The staff was extremely friendly, welcoming and efficient. Particularly Julia (I think) for whom nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was pretty good.
The hotel was quirkily decorated with quite a lot of modern art.
The location was excellent. About 10-15 minutes walk from the central station and only about 5 minutes walk to the Duomo and Accademia and just a few minutes more to the Uffizi and Ponte Vecchio and the other sights of the beautiful city of Florence. It has a bistro/restaurant too, bit I didn't try it as there were so many great restaurants in the city to try out.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I return to Florence (which I probably will.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank PeteOnTheMove
There are newer reviews for Il Guelfo Bianco

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Il Guelfo with a girlfriend for a week and we loved it. The hotel is located close to the Duomo, the Galleria Del Academia and the amazing food markets. The service is friendly and the morning breakfast was more than adequate. I have read other reviews ghat complain about the lack of choices ay breakfast....please be aware, this is not the US where you get breakfasts' bigger than Texas. This is good food with a light touch and great coffee, plenty to start off the day Italian style. If you're at all concerned there is a McDonald's next door but its expensive and after all your in Italy....why on earth would you eat at Maccas!!

The hotel is set in a converted Palazzo and the room was lovely with well glazed windows to protect it from the noise and the high ornate wood ceilings were fabulous. Overall I would recommend this place highly! We got a great deal through an online booking site and were very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank alexquake
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for an authentic hotel with original features and a vintage twist this is for you. Rooms very from huge suites with tiny terraces to comfy retro Italian standards, ideally located to walk and friendliest team who go beyond looking after you. Classic buffet breakfast but will cater to your every whim, this hotel is utterly charming

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Guideposts
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at il Guelfo Bianco back in August. The rooms were lovely (very charming in a typical florentina style) and very clean. The service was always friendly and informative. The location is extremely central. Also loved the food served at their bistro (downstairs), they offer simple and delicious toscana dishes - all ingredients from their organic (bio) farm. It can get a little difficult to reach it by car, as only residents are allowed in that area. So if you are going in, please make sure that you notify the hotel ahead of time, so that they can make the necessary arrangements and help you prevent a juicy fine!

Room Tip: During our stay we tried 2 rooms due to the fact that the hotel was a little full and we were reques...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mlgdus
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Il Guelfo Bianco is a beautifully restored building that houses an exceptionally well-decorated hotel just a short stroll from the Museo Accademia and no more than a leisurely 10 minute walk from the Duomo. Staff were, for the most part, very pleasant and helpful. I believe that judgments of the hotel will depend on the room assigned. Our traveling companions occupied a deluxe room on the second floor toward the rear of the building, far from street sounds. It was capacious, quiet and quite lovely in every respect. Our room, on the first floor, faced the front of the hotel, and was subject to all the street noise. If one kept the windows closed, the noise was not a problem; sound insulation was superb. Unfortunately, with windows closed during our December visit, the room was far too warm for us, with the temperature reaching 24 degrees Celsius. The front desk responded to my complaint by cutting off the heat to our room, but the temperature remained uncomfortably warm with windows closed. Our deluxe room was also about 30 to 40 percent smaller than that of our traveling companions. Based on our experience, I would request a room off the street side. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the very nice breakfasts served cheerfully each morning. Very good, indeed. All in all, I believe that Il Guelfo Bianco is a fine establishment that offers guests a great value and I would not hesitate to return if I could be assured of securing a non-street-front room. On that basis, I give it a top rating.

Room Tip: Per my review, seek a non-street-front room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank drewsusan
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This charming and beautifully appointed hotel is very conveniently located. You can easily walk to all the major sights. The staff are pleasant and professional.

Prior to our first visit, I had numerous emails with various staff to decide which room to book. After I made my decision, they agreed to assign that room to me. Now, I supppose because they have become very popular, they are reluctant to guarantee a particular room - even if booked months in advance. Fortunately, we have been able to get the room we wanted for all three of our visits. It is a beautiful, spacious room with high coffered ceilings and antique furnishings. It is quiet since it faces the courtyard.

The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. Everything is fresh and very tasty. Their brochure explains where where the milk, olive oil and many of the other products come from. It is obvious everything is of the highest quality. I just wish breakfast were served earlier than 7:30. The major museums in Florence open at 8:15. The three days we were at the hotel, the breakfast room was very busy at 7:30. There was only one (very hard working) person who was setting up the buffet and taking and preparing the hot beverage orders. If breakfast were served earlier, perhaps everyone would not come at the same time since I am sure many of the "early birds" were there for the same reason we were - to get to the museums for 8:15 reservations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank luvroma2
Reviewed January 9, 2013

All I can say is thank you for your wonderful hospitaility I enjoyed for my first visit to Florence. The room, breakfast and location were excellent. When I return, I will be staying at your place again. Now if I can just figure out how to get your staff to make me an expresso in my home in the states. Great time and experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple