“Family of four”

Ranked #279 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Family of four”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

It was comfortable. The bathroom facilities were minimal. We were four altogether in one room, space was comfortable but we had no view from our window. It was clean and breakfast was simple. Good reasonable choice for center of Florence.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Italy
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Hotel Olimpia is located on la Piazza Della Republica, which is a perfect location for touring around the city of Florence. From there, you are at a short distance of the Duomo, the galleries of the Uffizi and Academia, and the ponte vecchio.
Now, this is an old building, and the prices of the rooms are quite cheap; don't expect 5-star luxury! The service and the hotel staff do an amazing job, but if you're looking for a multi star, champagne serving hotel with diamonds in the bathroom, I suggest you look somewhere else! You get what you pay for.
In conclusion, this is the perfect hotel for one person, a couple, family, or friends who want to explore the city of Florence during the day, and have a good night sleep, knowing they'll do the same thing next morning!

Stayed July 2014
Adana, Turkey
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Getting to the Olympia Hotel located in the Plaza d Republica was comical for us. We typed in the address provided by the hotel and followed our GPS directions. We arrived in the city after sunset and navigated the alleys in the dark. Evidently our GPS decided we needed a quicker and better view then the Italian law provides, because she had us driving straight onto the square of the famous Duomo Cathedral of Florence! What’s very bizarre is we saw the road blocks and dividers which were originally supposed to keep vehicles out of the square and other local alleys designating them as pedestrian walkways. But coincidently our arrival to the city was during a time when the barrier was open which made the route confusing and we entered thinking it was guiding the flow of traffic and our GPS was routing us in the same direction. –We seriously did not know where we were going or that it was a non-vehicle area until we were driving alongside the corner stones of the Cathedral itself! By this point it was too late, we were committed and had to finish our vehicular trespassing, in passing the front of the Duomo the tourist police promptly flagged us down with hysteria! We understood we made a mistake but we were still lost and still on the wrong side of the tracks sort of speak. We were apologetic and to our amazement they gave us directions in broken English and did not issue us a fine, thus and we promptly took our leave before they changed their minds. Looking back at the experience I really wish I had jumped out of the truck and taken a picture of our illegal activity. Who else would have a pic of their beloved vehicle in front of a backdrop such as the Duomo?! It would have made for a great Toyota Truck advertisement! So I still don’t know how to reach the hotel the legal way, so please don’t ask.

So we drove over to Plaza d Republica and once again are completely confused and frightened that we are in another pedestrian only area. We quickly unload our luggage so we can move the truck as promptly as possible once we get our barrings with the hotel receptionist. But things continue to go bad.

The hotel is located on the top floor of the building with access by a freight type elevator or 5 flights or stairs to the top. During our reservation it would seem a school class or youth club has booked the rest of the rooms. Youth kids were all over the place. When we arrived they all were sitting in the enormous doorway blocking our entry until we had to ask to get through. Once inside, the elevator would not engage because the door had been left open at the top floor by one of the kids who previously used it. So our family of 5 with 7 bags went up 5 flights of stairs. The youth kids continued to be annoying by congregating in the stairway blocking parts of the stairs or racing by us bumping into our luggage.

Reaching the top we found the front desk which had a man of Indian decent working; whom we could tell by his angry demeanor had already had his patience tested and drained from the kids –Or at least I would hope his demeanor is not always so poor –I’m assuming it was the rude children, I’ve been here for 5mins and my patience is tested; I could only imagine how he feels after spending the whole evening with them.
So we ask him about the elevator and he knowingly just tells us the door is open and does not work until it’s closed. –Why he did not walk the 8 feet from his desk to the elevator and close the door prior to our arrival so that potential guests arriving with luggage could utilize it; -I don’t know. We actually walked over to it and shut it for him, ad within two minuets the elevator was summoned to the first floor for the next guest! When we were dragging our luggage on the stairs and arrived on the top floor he watched us fumble with the last flight yet did not assist us with our baggage in anyway. We tried to talk with him while getting our reservation, but he was uninterested with chatter. He was quite standoffish and rude. He spoke English but had an accent and mumbled a lot where it was very difficult to understand. For instance I asked him about local landmarks and he said to go outside to see them. I also asked if he knew what the local weather would be like tomorrow. He said the hotel has WIFI and to Google it myself! I certainly hope this man does not receive employee of the month –EVER. We inquired about our vehicle where he called ‘someone’ to pick it up and park it in a car garage for a cost of 25Euro. –A price and lack of parking not mentioned when researching this hotel. I was reluctant to hand my keys over, but really thought I had no choice. It took about 40mins for our car to be moved and the whole time we were nervous that we might receive a fine.

The hotel itself is what I would call a Hostel. The building is still a functioning office building. Those many flights of stairs will walk you by private offices and I think even a lawyers. Reaching the top floor, its different rooms have been converted to hotel rooms. –Rooms with thin walls that we could still hear the talk and shrills of children whom are up way past their bedtime –and mine! We reserved the family room which is located right next to the lobby which was also a contributor to the noise. The room was one large room with 4 beds. The furniture was old solid wood including a desk head boards, armoire, and the saddest lil’ TV I’ve ever seen; all functional and matched the motif of the overall buildings feel and the sponged terra cotta Tuscan paint of the walls. The rooms separate bathroom was interesting being the whole room was tiled with the shower nozzle mounted to the wall between the toilet and sink, making the entire room a shower –I had not seen this design since staying in hostels in Turkey! The WIFI worked and I was able to look up the weather for myself as directed. I do remember the room being overly warm where we left the window open. The window opened straight to an enclosed alley with views of a brick wall.

In the morning we were warmly greeted by a new friendly receptionist of white decent who also speaks English well – (I think he might have been a local Italian?). We asked if he was the owner in regards to the night shifts receptionist and his lack of any service or friendliness. He was not the owner but we still informed him of our bad experience and he had said they’ve heard complaints before and nicely refrained speaking anymore ill towards his co-worker. Yet he gladly talked to us about the city and its sites and gave us a map. He also warmly directed us to the hotels breakfast.

Overall the hotel is a disappointment but in all actuality I would stay here again. –In this case location is everything! When traveling I usually spend minimal time in a hotel anyway due to sight-seeing. Next time I know what to expect. If the night shifter is still there, I still won’t enjoy his demeanor. If I visit again I’d try to avoid the night shift attendant like the plague. If not I can arm myself with cocktails and Prozac as a gift for him, maybe I can order a Care Bear to fly in on a unicorn to puke rainbows and glitter on him? I hope that would make him smile, I certainly know I would be gasping for air between laughs!

Room Tip: Family room nice, but can be loud because it's next to the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. But the rooms are muggy. My husband & I both woke up feeling sick & congested. The hotel agent was very rude. I took my luggage & 9 month old downstairs to wait for my husband to bring our rental car around, and the agent came and told me to move because it didn't look good that I was standing in front of the hotel with all of my luggage. I think there are other hotels in the area that you will have a better experience with.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sonia B

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Grass Valley, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is centrally-located, and economically-priced as Italian hotels go. It is on Piazza della Republica, an easy walk to almost every notable sight in Florence. There are numerous bars and restaurants in the area, and lots of high-end shops. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Florence that is close to all the attractions, this place would fit the bill, but I can't recommend it as a nice place to stay.

The hotel has all the earmarks of a budget establishment. The hotel rooms are on the fourth floor of an old building. Very funky, and not in a good way. Plywood cabinetry in the closet area. Tiny narrow bathroom, with the toilet protruding into the small, curtained shower stall (reminiscent of the head in a small motor yacht - you could almost sit on the toilet while showering). No soapdish in the shower, so the toilet lid doubles as a place to set shampoo and soap. Room keys are attached to a large, heavy doorknob, which makes them difficult to misplace but also quite inconvenient to carry around when sightseeing.

We stayed here for four nights. There was a lot of noise from the plaza on Friday and Saturday night, lasting well into the early morning hours.

The breakfast room was small. During our stay, there was a large family with many children also staying at the hotel. We learned to get to breakfast early, because this group took over the entire room when they arrived for breakfast, and pretty much wiped out the food supplies.

The breakfast buffet had a good selection of fresh pastries. I prefer healthier breakfast choices, and those were limited to some whole pieces of fruit, yougart, and hard boiled eggs. Breakfast service stopped promptly at an appointed time, and after that, you couldn't even get a drink of water from the beverage machines in the breakfast room.

Front desk service was a mixed bag. Some staff members were quite friendly and helpful, others not so much. WiFi is not free here. The staff member I spoke with about arranging for some WiFi service (for a fee) was kind of defensive, as though he was accustomed to people unhappy with the lack of free WiFi.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJ748
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2013 and it was a wonderful experience.
Stayed again in May 2014 and it was not a wonderful experience. When making the reservation we made sure there was air conditioning. Upon our arrival we were advised the air conditioning could not be turned on until June. It was an extremely hot night and it was very uncomfortbale.
The person at the front desk was very rude.
Nice buffet breakfast.
Centrally located. You can walk there from the train station, about 10 short minutes.
Great restaurants right outside the hotel.
If it wasn't for the air conditioning issue I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank silverwalk
Gurgaon
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Good Location right at the middle of the city with all major attractions and river at walking distance. Good breakfast and friendly staff. only complaint was for rooms with no view and average decor and very small bathrooms where you struggle to bath with no pressure at shower. No free internet and small and old style lift to go to the reception located at the 4th floor.

Room Tip: Go for room at the front though they have only 2-3 rooms at front
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family