“Terrific Florence Hotel”

NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa
Ranked #28 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Porta Rossa is an all-round great hotel. It's a converted historical building that retains much of the ambience and period detail of the original. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Small elevator but it does the job. Outstanding breakfast with an amazing array of choices. Walking distance to all main attractions (Uffizzi, duomo, palazzo vecchio). Good restaurants in the small street at the back of the hotel. There was a mix-up over our sons' rooms when we were checking in and the two attendants at the front desk spent about fifteen minutes rearranging their reservations in order to accommodate the type of room we had reserved and gave them an upgrade to a suite. Superior service indeed. You won't go wrong here. (I agree that you need a taxi from the train station.)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barry B

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband & I spent a week at this wonderful hotel last month. The Porta Rossa was very clean & convenient to all locations. The staff was very helpful with everything. The breakfast was great - a huge selections of breakfast food including fresh fruits and yogurts. The best part of our stay was the amazing shower! It was quite large and after a day of touring it felt so wonderful! The location of the hotel is so quaint. The bed was also very comfortable - we would stay here again the next time we visit beautiful Firenze!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce M
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here on a trip in April and I didn't care for the hotel, there wasn't anything horrible about the hotel that would cause me to tell someone not to stay here, it just wasn't for me.

The hotel was in a great location, we walked to everything but did take a taxi from the train station, it was a bit far to walk with luggage. There are a ton of restaurants, shops, ect . . .right outside the hotel. The hotel was noisy at night, one side faces a street that has a lot of car traffic and the other side faces a back alley with a lot of foot traffic. The rooms are very modern and large, it reminded me a bit of the W's you see in the states. Some people may like it because it was so large and modern. I thought it was sterile and boring. Because of the street noise and how bright the room was with everything white I didn't sleep at all in the 3 nights I was there.

Breakfast was fantastic and included.

All in all if you are looking for a modern American hotel with a bit of a trendy nightclub feel (think South Beach Miami) this may be for you. For me it wasn't quite what I was looking for in Italy.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Airbound13
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We ended up staying at the Porta Rossa after the place we originally had booked had a problem with water being cut to our room. The Porta Rossa was very clean and the architectural style was a lovely blend of preserving the original building's old world character with modern updating, including a large, lovely, updated restroom with a large tub (a big plus for me!). There was a great selection of food choices for breakfast - allowing us to fill up, grab a gelato during the day for a snack, and enjoy a nice meal out. My only complaint is that the room felt sterile. It was all white, with no art or personality whatsoever. Maybe they hadn't gotten around to that yet? Otherwise, this hotel comes highly recommended from me!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Porta Rossi is a well known hotel in centrally located Florence.

The hotel itself is in a small alley 2 minutes walk from the Ponte Vecchio Bridge, 5-10 minute walk from the Firenze Train station, Uffizi Gallery, Duomo and Leather Market. The designer shops are round the corner, 2 minute walk on Via de' Tornabuoni.

Our room was on 2nd floor, the rooms are clean and spacious with beautiful sacious bed and old style furniture.

The breakfast served was plentiful with fruits, eggs, cold meats, bacon, pastries, breads - anything you wanted!

Wifi is fast and reliable, just had to grab a wifi card from reception which lasts for 24 hours each. The receptionists are very helpful in giving local information, directions, opening times and helping with travel.

Florence is such a beautiful city - I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our hotel experiences in Italy were not the best...that is until we checked into the NH Porta Rossa. The entire staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The hotel has all of the modern amenities you need to keep connected (e.g., wifi and wired in the room). The breakfast buffet was fresh and well serviced by the staff. The room was beautiful, modern and had plenty of room to unwind. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the NH Porta Rossa for 1 week last year and I had a great experience.
The hotel was fully renovated and the bedrooms were very well decorated with a modern style combined with the incredible old building. The hotel location is perfect for sightseeing in Florence. 5 to 10 minutes away from any of the many touristic attractions.
The hotel staff was nice and friendly and they help me choose some activities during my stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo