NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa
$650
$631
  • Restaurant
2,297 results
All reviewsgreat locationjunior suiteponte vecchiobeautiful hotelan upgradefront desk staffold buildinghigh ceilingswalking distancemodern amenitiesloved this hotelstreet noisebeautiful roomour honeymoonmajor attractionscentral locationold world charm
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Porta Rossa for three nights in June 2012. We had an excellent experience and would recommend the hotel. The room was large and well-appointed, the breakfasts were excellent, and the location is perfect (the location means that you can e.g. easily drop into the hotel when walking from one tourist site to another). As other reviewers have pointed out, noise is a potential problem. We were one floor up at the front of the hotel (i.e. the most exposed to noise); I'm slightly deaf and heard nothing, while my wife was awoken twice during the stay by singing students. It didn't bother her but if you were very sensitive to noise it might be an issue. One other comment - the front desk appeared understaffed at busy times so beware you might need to wait a few minutes when checking out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel was extremely difficult to reach by email from the U.S. Most of the other hotels I had no problem receiving a credit card confirmation or sending questions and requests. This hotel I never heard back from. After 3 or 4 email attempts, I ended up calling corporate NH Hotels and had them send me a confirmation. Odd though that they received my credit card information but couldn't send a confirmation! Also another time I sent a quick question about the weather & received an answer back. So not a spam issue. I ran into this problem again when I asked the hotel to book restaurants for me. It never happened & I had to call/email each restaurant on my own which was a hassle. I was afraid what I would find when we arrived - did they give our room away, etc. We did not find any hassles upon arriving at Porta Rossa. The front desk checked us in promptly and answered any questions we had. The hotel is in a great location, clean, attractive and overall, very nice. While the building itself is old and beautiful the decorating is modern. We had 3 people in our room thus we had a bedroom with a queen size bed (with an iron canopy) and an outer room with a daybed. Our bathroom was very modern with 2 sinks, a great shower and speakers. My husband was thrilled because there was a large tv in the room. The breakfast was plentiful although we did not find the items very good. The pastry items tasted like something from a box store. This is one of the hotels on the trip we would certainly return to. It was not particularly personal but it was a great location, and very nice room for the price. If they improve their email issues, lackluster breakfast & show a bit more personality at the desk I would be happy to give them an excellent rating.

Room Tip: They are presently doing construction across the way but if you are up early this is not an issue and these rooms are very quiet over night. They look out over roof tops.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spent a year planning my 3rd trip to Florence. I was very much looking forward to staying at the Porta Rossa for the first time. I read the TA reviews and understood the pros and cons..paying particular attention to the noise issues cited on many reviews. However, it was a bit more than I was expecting. I give the location 5 stars, rooms 3 stars, service 2 stars, value 3 stars.
When I booked the room, I requested an upper level room not facing the street. When we got to the hotel, they confirmed my request, but told us that they were completely sold out and could only give us a lower room facing the street. They assured us that they would be happy to move us the next day if noise was an issue. They were extremely nice about it. They said we shouldn't have an issue with the noise. They were wrong. I am a light sleeper...and I was woken up numerous times during the night be random noise....voices, doors slamming, etc. My fiance...a heavy sleeper who rarely complains....complained!!! She both slept horribly. We went to the desk in the morning and the gentleman knew what I was gonna ask before I even said anything. He said he could move us from the lower floor facing the street to an upper floor facing the alley...but there is a restaurant in the alley and he said people complain about the noise on the upper floors as well. He explained that even though it's a renovated hotel, they were not allowed to put in double pane glass due to code restrictions in Florence. Thus, the noise situation would be the same....but he'd be happy to move us. So we did. He was right! The noise level in the 2nd room was similar to the room on the lower floor. Other cons about this hotel....wifi is only available in the lobby for 1/2 hour at a time. This is very inconvenient considering other hotels in Italy offer unlimited free wifi. The rooms were extremely small...even by European standars. The bathroom was so small it was funny. The door could only open partially before it hit the toilet. The bed was a double....very small for a couple. Finally....having been to Italy 3 times, I'm accustomed to great service....pleasant, warm, accomodating hotel staff. I am always nice and appreciative of good staff. My fiance and I are not usually ones to complain. However, the staff was...well...cold. There was no warmth to them. I actually felt uncomfortable asking them anything. It wasn't 1 person...it was really all of them except for the guy that checked us in. The one plus is the location...however, there are tons of places in this area....the Duomo is a very short walk, the train is a 10 minute walk. I would urge anyone considering staying at the NH Porta Rosa to choose the Davanzati instead. It is 2 doors down from the Porta Rossa. We toured the Davanzati and looked at 2 rooms. The rooms are huge, king sized beds, free wifi, complimentary laptops in each room....and the father and sons that run the hotel are EXTREMELY nice. I like the Davanzati so much that I told my friends that are coming to Florence in July to change their reservation from the Porta Rossa to the Davanzati.

Room Tip: All rooms have noise whether you are facing the street or alley. Stay at the Davanzati instead.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed June 2, 2012

NH Porta Rossa was great from the process of making our reservation to the day we left Florence! We requested and got a quiet room, but so much more! The NH Porta Rossa was recently renovated, yet keeping architectural and artistic elements intact. The decor combines the Renaissance and the modern beautifully!

The location is excellent, being in the central, pedestrianized, area of Florence. You can walk everywhere.

Unlike many Florence hotels, Porta Rossa enters from the street, not up a flight of stairs, and as an older couple, we preferred not to climb many stairs after coming home from a long day of sightseeing. Their gorgeous reception area was staffed by very friendly and helpful people. To get to our room, we took an elevator to our floor, came out into a spacious lobby area and walked through a beautiful hallway to our sparkling clean and beautiful room. Our room was spacious, the A/C worked extremely well, the beds were comfortable, even though a bit on the hard side (like most in Europe), the bathroom had the latest bathroom fixtures and lots of amenities, including bathrobes and slippers. Even a toothbrush with toothpaste was included!

The breakfasts were good and went to 11:00 a.m., which was nice for us, as we love to sleep in late. The bar area and breakfast room was, again, beautiful! The hotel does not have a restaurant on sight, but Florence has many, many good restaurants. An excellent one, Oliviero, was literally out the back door and a few steps away from the hotel!

The only possible negatives I can say about this hotel (and I hate to even mention them, because the overall experience was so terrific) are (1) the wifi, although free, is not easy to use, because the hotel changes the username and password every 30 minutes, and (2) the brand new bathtub was a bit slippery. One has to be careful not to slip in it.

The hotel is not the cheapest one in Florence, but is apparently in the mid-range of prices, and for the price we paid we got excellent value! I highly recommend NH Porta Rossa!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathika
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

On arrival, we got upgraded to a Deluxe room. The room had a very high ceiling with a frescoe painted on it. It was v clean with modern decor despite the age of the hotel. It's brilliantly located & is central enough to explore all the different areas of Florence. The staff were friendly & helpful. There was a great choice of food at breakfast including soy milk & gluten free food too. On check in we'd asked for a quiet room. However, the bin lorries start working v early in the morning. Besides the noise from outside, the hotel itself is quiet but take ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. I'd recommend staying at NH Porta Rossa.