“Need to improve otherwise, more negative feedback awaits Hotel Ascot”

Hotel Ascot Florence
Ranked #378 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Florence, Italy
“Need to improve otherwise, more negative feedback awaits Hotel Ascot”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Main reason we booked at Hotel Ascot was its great location, few meters away from the Santa Maria Novella station. The distinct features of this hotel are the unpleasant smell right after you enter and the uncultured female receptionist (the male receptionists were friendly and helpful). We were fortunate because our room was at the second floor, misfortune for those at the upper level because the elevator is blocked at night till morning and have to use the stairs. Our room was appropriate for couple and an extra bed for a kid. Complimentary tea were found at the room but sad to say its disgusting because the water boiler clinged with hair. Century old TV with useless remote control. Great because free WI-FI and nice heating system.
Another disappointing matter was the breakfast:
1.prosciuto cotto (cooked ham) tastes old,
2.filthy coffee because as i finished, residues settled at the bottom of the cup.
3.The pastry-croissant looked like a work of a 5 year old toddler played a clay dough plus its burnt.
I can't suggest but if your looking for a place near the train station to spend overnight, its not bad to spent 44 euros and leave before 6am. But if you're looking for a comfort and enjoyable hotel experience then look for a better 3 star hotels nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MigsDeManille

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Luckily we were booked into this hotel by a travel agent and were able to move. This hotel has got to b a health hazard, the smell is foul, the electrics are dodgy and the beds are broken.
Do yourself a favour, take my word for it and don't bother looking for yourself. You will not want to stay here:-)

Room Tip: Don't even think about it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Agnes D

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Zwevegem
Reviewed October 29, 2013

So far, I've only posted positive reviews on Tripadvisor, but this "establishment" deserves another kind of review. Having spent three nights at the Ascot with three friends, I am shocked to see that this "hotel" is still in business. I have travelled a lot in my lifetime and I can safely say that this is the worst place I have ever stayed at. It wasn't filthy, oh no, it was squalid, grubby & grimy. The inedible breakfast was served (come to think of it, there was no service whatsoever!) in a dingy basement. I can still smell the rank stench that permeated the whole place and the smell of bleach emanating from the buffet on which we found sorry excuses for cheese and cold cuts. As for the rooms...in one of the two rooms we'd booked we were faced with traces of dirty boot and shoe prints all over the walls, mould everywhere (not just in the revolting shower) , bed linen infested with bed bugs (honest, the bites on my belly proved it...)and in the other room which on first inspection, looked slightly "better" than room one, we found the piece de résistance: a used condom (I kid you not!) One afternoon, wanting a change of clothes because we'd been drenched by heavy rainfall, we found ourselves locked out of the hotel. The guy at reception had put a note up in broken English saying that he'd be back in "five minut". Well, it being Italy we shouldn't have been at all surprised that those "minut" turned into over half an hour (no idea when the guy put the sign up, he might have been gone for hours, for all I know...) Once we did get to our room (at that point we'd given up on the lift that did indeed smell of sewage, as another reviewer put it so aptly) we found that in room one we were left without any towels and in room two there was no toilet paper to be found. We were all fuming at that point when one of my friends suggested she go downstairs to sort things out with the "receptionist". I told her that I'd take care of it, since she might fly off the handle with the guy. Well...he left me hanging in "reception" for about ten minutes, then finally showed up, all of a sudden not understanding any English whatsoever when I explained we needed towels and loo rolls. I first spoke to the chap in broken English: nothing! Then I switched to French: zilch! So I started raising my voice ever so slightly and threw some Spanish in. Result: nil! Close to breaking point I resorted to using my own language (which is Dutch and which can sound a bit "rough" if you've never come across it...) mixed with a bit of German and Flemish dialect to make my point. One would think that by that time I might have got some reaction out of the receptionist? Well, you would be wrong! Finally, I used all of the body language I had in me (and trust me, at that point the gestures came fast and furious...) and then a miracle happened! An Canadian couple came in, wanting to book a room. I warned them to get out of the place as fast as they could and lo and behold... the receptionist found his English back...RESULT! Only just, though... I got more toilet paper than I could carry he then proceeded to explain to me that there were no clean towels left in the hotel because it was Sunday (?!?) and that I would have to wait "a bit" for clean towels to appear out of thin air. It later turned out, that he'd gone to a hotel down the street to get some of theirs. One needn't be Miss Marple to have figured that one out, since the name of the hotel was embroidered on every single one of them. About 45 minutes later we did get the clean towels (which of course weren't brought up to the room but had to be collected at reception . Come on, what did you expect?!) I hope that this little "vignette" - along with all the other less than raving reviews - of this quadruple zero star hotel has convinced any of you who might have considered going to hotel Ascot of staying WAY CLEAR of it.
Travellers, be warned.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Boeboelle
North Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2013

TV didn't work. Reading light too dim to see book. Requested a twin room and one of the "twins" was a foldaway that almost dumped my son into the floor. Bathroom tiny and one of those with a drain in the floor like the whole room was the shower. The staff was pleasant enough and did manage to fix the tv by the second day, but the tv was very small. There was a foul odor coming up the elevator shaft. I realize this was a budget hotel chosen for price, but we ALWAYS stay in budget places and they are not all this bad. I booked it by price and overall rating number but wish I had read more reviews. This experience has motivated me to do my reviews when I get home and not procrastinate until I forget to do it - we travelers need to look out for one another!

Room Tip: Just choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NorthCarolinaViolet
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

In the English translation of J.P. Sartre's "No Exit," perhaps the most famous line is that "Hell is other people." Staying at this hotel has forced me to think otherwise - that the absurdity of how terrible this hotel was/is makes it a living inferno.

Let me start by saying any negative review on this site is absolutely true. For some reason I hadn't skimmed them well enough when I booked this cheap hotel, assuming that no hotel could be THAT bad and still be in business. And yet, I was wrong. Here is a list of my grievances:

CONS
1) The smell of the hotel is horrible. Sure, at this time of the summer, some of the sewers in Florence will occasionally emit wafts of terrible odors; however, this hotel seemed like it produced these odors "in house." The lobby and elevator shaft were putrid - every time I came back to my room I took a deep breath outside the hotel and ran up 4 flights of stairs, where the odor wasn't as strong in my actual room. At 6AM the morning of our check-out, I was actually awoken by (and I'm not exaggerating), the most rancid odor I have ever experienced - holding back vomit, I saw that a septic-system truck was pumping sewage out of a tube on the ground floor of the hotel. Now, take a moment to consider this - for one to be woken up by a negative olfactory sensation is absurd, and MUCH harder than being woken up by a sound or the touch of something/someone. I'll repeat that: I was woken up by a terrible SMELL. Needless to say, we threw all of our stuff into our suitcase as fast as we could, dropped the keys off at the front desk, and ran out of the hotel with our luggage.

2) Rooms - Ok, so again, I guess you "get what you pay for," right? Sure, we weren't expecting luxury rooms by any means, but this room was a disaster. The shower was a small cutout corner in the back of the bathroom, with a drain on the floor (which, incidentally, clogged on our 4th day, and flooded into our room as well as the hallway, upon which the cleaning lady started to yell at us), which was so close to the toilet that you could honestly use the toilet and shower at the same time. The door did not close all the way, which wasn't a huge deal, but stuck out enough that anytime the door wasn't jammed close, it would be difficult for the other person to get out of the room through the front door. Air conditioning? Non-existent. We tried to put the fan on the various powers indicated by the knob, but these seemed to affect only how much the unit overhead (which was missing several planks, and others were resting - dangerously, I'm sure - on top of the armoir in the room) rattled. Apparently they didn't think it was important to tell us that they were renovating some part of the hotel (this hotel doesn't need to be renovated, it needs to be condemned and demolished), which also caused paint fumes to pervade the entire room. We had left the AC on while we went to lunch in an effort to see if the unit perhaps just needed to get going, but when we returned we almost suffocated. This leads me to my next point - because this air conditioning didn't work, we had to sleep with the windows open. Completely fine, I don't need air conditioning to be comfortable, even if it did hit 100+ degrees F on some days; however, the problem was that the mosquitoes seemed to be super-attracted to the disgustingness of our hotel, and even with a trip to the pharmacy to buy a high-end mosquito repellent and hydrocortisone cream, my friend and I ended up with dozens of bites each, which faded as soon as we left Florence (more likely, as soon as we left the hotel). You think that we might have just had a bad room? From pictures of other rooms, apparently THIS was one of the "luxury" rooms! We went down to the lobby to at least use some of their free Wi-Fi, and repeatedly saw different people coming down asking for better rooms/money back, which the people at the desk would refuse to do, preferring in fact, in the case that the complainers happened to be attractive girls, to try and bribe them with wine and beer as collateral for not flipping out.

3) Service - Service people at the desk were incredibly hit or miss, and usually on the "miss" side. The person who checked us in took a full 10-15 minutes halfheartedly looking for our reservation, even after I presented him with any confirmation numbers he needed. I actually never saw this fellow again, but the other people would constantly gossip about the different travelers in Italian, since they knew that only foreigners would be stupid enough to stay at that hotel. In fact, they only dropped their near-hostile attitude when every time I entered or exited the hotel I would speak to them in Italian, and they realized that I could understand every piece of "gossip" between them.

PROS
1) The location is fine, literally not even 5 minutes walking from the Santa Maria Novella station. This allowed us to get in quickly and easily, but more importantly, to escape as soon as possible. I would have rather paid for ANY of the hotels around us though, regardless of the price, if location is your most important factor.

2) The breakfast wasn't proportionally terrible to the hotel. The food wasn't the greatest, but it was comparable to the breakfasts offered at other places that have breakfast included. Hey, at least you can drink as much water and coffee as you want. Stay away from their warm, pulpy pineapple juice.

Bottom line: Do yourself a favor and don't come to Florence if this hotel is the only one available in your price range. Spend however much money you need to NOT to stay at this hotel, even if you end up in an inconvenient location. Sure, you might not understand EXACTLY how bad this hotel is until you stay here, but trust me: if you do stay here, you'll wish you had listened to my advice. WORST HOTEL EVER.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are NO good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Napoli-phile21
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2013

When my friend and I walked into the hotel it was disgusting. There is currently mold growing on the wall next to the front desk and they had trouble finding the reservation that we made. Then when you get to the elevator is smells like sewage + the anus of a Florentine gypsy. It smelled like this throughout most of the hotel. When we finally got to our room only 1 electrical outlet worked and the bathroom is a joke. There is no shower, just a 4x3 space so water gets everywhere and it truly disgusting. There is no AC, it says there is but when you turn it on this VERY LOUD noise occurs continuously and it does not cool the room at all. In our particular room after a while of it being on it began to smell like paint fumes and other carcinogenic materials so we immediately turned it off. Since there is a lack of AC, you are forced to open the windows and allow all the mosquitoes of Florence to come in and drink your blood while you are sleeping. The only Pro for Hotel ASScot is the location. That is it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not stay here. It is disgusting and truly a health hazard. Spend the extra money for a half decent place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelingFA1
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I'll start with a compliment. This hotel is very well situated. A few minutes walk from the train station and no more than 10 minutes to the major sights. That is really the only good thing I can say.
Upon entering the hotel the stench of drains is overwhelming. The decor is sad, old and unwelcoming. Guests who were crowded in the cramped, damp foyer to use the wifi didn't engage in eye contact out of pure embarassment for being there. The room was shabby with broken air conditioning units, a muddy footprint on the wall 7ft off the ground and the filthiest, mouldy bathroom I've ever seen. Tea bags were green tea with vanilla?? No milk, no sugar, no coffee. The shower is a hole in the floor. You genuinely could have a shower and use the toilet at the same time and then wrap yourself in the tea towel sized bath towel left for you. The walls were so thin that at 1am when I heard the couple next door having sex I had to check under the bed to check they weren't in the same room. I was also thrilled to hear the lady drying her hair at 6am. It was as loud as if I had the dryer over my own head. Overall I'm flabbergasted anyone has reviewed this hotel well. It's truly awful. If I had been able to give it a zero rating I would have.

• Stayed April 2013