“Grand Hotel Minerva”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #49 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having just returned from a stay at the Grand Hotel Minerva in Florence I felt compelled to share our experience as it was Trip Advisor that helped me decide where to stay.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk (if that) from the rail station and is superbly situated to explore Florence. It has a piazza directly outside with the Santa Maria Novella Church right there and a great gelato shop on the right as you leave the hotel. Whilst we were there 25 May 2013, there was a gelato festival and one afternoon lots of dancers jiving away - fabulous!!!

The hotel is clean (top requirement of mine), comfy, brilliant staff; welcoming and helpful. Some of the rooms are truly fabulously grand. Ours was a family room which had three sleeping areas. and two bathrooms and very spacious. The main bed was lovely, the two sofa type beds not so, but still had a good sleep.

We would return should we decide to visit Florence again. Definitely buy the Firenze card - this makes visiting the attractions easy and your not tied to long queues - where the badge around your neck where the attraction staff can see and fast track you.

As said before, you can walk everywhere from this hotel. The markets are great fun - Florence is spectacular :-)

And of course, this hotel has brilliant roof terraces with a spectacular views and a pool! Small but the children enjoyed it and its lovely to sit around in the sunshine.

2  Thank kittypup

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We enjoyed a 3 night stay here, as did most of my family taking up 4 rooms. All of the rooms were spacious, comfortable - spotlessly clean. 3 of the 4 rooms had a view of city, one didn't have a very good view but there are a few roof terraces with good seating areas and one of the best barmen I have ever come across in terms of knowledge or the wines and spirits and attention to detail!

Reception staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. For example we requested some extra tea bags and midnight and they arrived straight away.

I think that the main reason his hotel it 4 star is due to the location and pool, little extras that I have got used to in other Italian hotels such as bath robes and slippers were missing but it depends how much you will miss these little things as the rest of the hotel - especially the helpful staff more than make up for it.

As is common with lots of European hotels if you require a bath you need to request a room with one. We had a great
double shower and didn't miss the bath.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone it's a little haven in the hustle and bustle of an amazing city

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Oatesworld
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We loved Florence and this started with a very nice room and the team at Grand Hotel Minerva.

Location is close to everything, will return very soon
The breakfast which is included was more than enough and of god quality.
Room was very spacious and had a lot of character which we believe blended in with the famous Florence theme.
Frank & Loretta

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frank C
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife, adult daughter and myself arrived in Florence by train from Rome on the second part of our Italian anniversary trip and stayed at this hotel in the middle of May 2013. The hotel is basically round the corner from the train station so we walked which was a nice change. The hotel was situated in a lovely piazza in the centre of Florence, ideal for exploring. We booked a three bed room and was given a suite which seperated our room from our daughter which was a nice touch given that our daughter likes her own space. The room was lovely and clean, very airy and bright. My wife did comment that it was the most comfortable hotel bed she has slept in and we have slept in quite a few. On our arrival the hotel gave us a voucher for an anniversay dinner one evening and the meal we had at the hotel was one of the nicest we had in Italy, a nice touch I thought. The reception area was big and the staff were very helpful. The breakfast area was lovely and provided a very nice buffet breakfast with waitress service for your tea and toast. There was a rooftop swimming pool which although quite small was very nicely furnished and very clean and tidy and gave you a lovely panaramic view over Florence. All in all I was very impressed with the hotel and would highly recommed it to others visiting Florence. I have no complaints about it.

1  Thank Philip G
Reviewed May 21, 2013

this hotel is very well located, in a magnificent square. The rooms are nicely decorated Provence style and space, the hotel staff very helpful and the breakfast well served. A romantic hotel, well run and well building, builded an excellent choice of accommodation for Florence.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The location on the Santa Maria Novella piazza was extremely convenient from the train station, and it was just a couple minutes to walk to the Duomo and other sites in town. Breakfasts daily were wonderful with a good assortment appealing to both Europeans and Americans. And the coffee was the best we had on our trip! The small size of the in-room safe was disappointing and we could not put our iPad in it, which we could do at other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the piazza are charming, but it can be noisy if you don't stay up late. And th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MickLee83
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Location is perfect, so close to the station (for trains, airport coach but also many day tours starting from that spot) and right on the beautiful Piazza Novella. Everything can be reached by foot from the hotel, maps can be deceiving and the Ponté Vecchio and Uffizi for instance are no more than 15 mins walk. Service at reception is excellent, very pleasant and professional. Our luggage had been lost by the airline and the staff were very helpful in trying to resolve the matter, especially Serena. The rooms facing the piazza are large but can be noisy. We were staying on the 2nd floor in a 'bunker' type room which had the advantage of being quiet but terribly depressing as there was very little day light. I did not ask to change as I knew that we would spend little time in the room but I would expect a better room for that price. Breakfast is average in quality but substantial, but this is the case in most italian hotels (no toast and no freshly squeezed orange juice, poor bread but some nice organic jams). Nice terrace for dinner but be careful, if you have a meal voucher, your menu is different from the à la carte menu and frankly not very good. The terrace and very small pool are a nice addition but there was no bar up there which was a shame. Overall, good service, great location but I would not necessarily go back there.

3  Thank FamilleKillick
FilippoBurroni, General Manager at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for having chosen our hotel and for having dedicated your time to reviewing us. A special thank for pointing out the service and attitude of our staff. We are investing lots of energies in training and it is a great satisfaction to see that our efforts produce some good results. I am sorry that the room you were assigned has not fully matched your expectations. Again, our staff is well trained in listening to any need of our guests and would have done anything possible to give you a different room if solicited. I checked my records and I think I guessed what room you have been in. In all earnestness that is not our most luminous room but I honestly would not define it as “bunker-like”. It is most probably our largest classic room and very quiet, as you were requesting in your reservation notes. As for the dinner voucher, I would like to inform our mutual readers that in these cases the menu offered is a selection of our “Grande Carte”, where you can find a larger variety of dishes. I am sorry that the meal has not fully encountered your taste. This is something quite new, since our guests normally express high praises to our chef and I would appreciate some more detail on this subject. If you want you can contact me at fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com.
We sincerely hope to have to opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel Minerva.
Filippo Burroni