“Great Accomodations - Food ???”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #50 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel was very convenient to the train station --- easily walkable with LOTS of luggage!! The staff was very helpful in all aspects of our stay ... in fact, the recommendations for restaurants in Florence were the best of our entire trip. Room was large and comfortable, overlooking the piazza and always cleaned efficiently - and sufficiently. Convenient for walking to all the places we wanted to see in Florence.

Our stay included the Christmas holiday and we understood that many establishments would be closed that day for dinner and were advised to book dinner at the hotel for that night - we did - but would have been better off finding a pizza joint. Even though the restaurant was not so crowded, the wait staff made it seem like they were trying to get us in and out --- this also occurred often at breakfast ... just always seemed in a rush. The meal started out very nice, a complimentary glass of champagne (which we don't care for, but a nice touch) - it went downhill from there. Anyway, our meals were inedible, in that the meats (veal and pork, I believe) were so tough they could not be chewed. Both my wife and I embarassingly left partially chewed meat on our plates, with the most of the plate left untouched.

As it turned out, the reataurant manager (we didn't know it was him at the time) came to take our plates ... not so much of a mention of "how was everything?" ... or even inquiring about the primary part of the meal being left on the plate - partially chewed !!! Just took the plates with food left, and full glasses of champagne ... and brought the bill - with no thank you for coming ... nothing.

When we passed the front desk (these people were ALWAYS very helpful) after dinner, they asked how dinner was --- and we explained - honestly - and they apologized. Later, the restaurant manager came to our room with 6 chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne (Ugh!). While dropping it off, he explained that he heard we had complained at the front desk and reprimanded my wife for not complaining at the restaurant --- basically turned it into our fault. No apology for the terrible food.

Short of the review is --- feel great about staying here!!! --- don't eat here!!! Only problem with this was that breakfast was free --- but coffee was instant (I think --- the same stuff left in the room (in the little tubes)) --- and eggs were dry and tasteless.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the piazza were interesting for people watching.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David M
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for having chosen our property for you stay in Florence and for your benevolent review. I am really sorry about your negative experience at our restaurant and I hope you will accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Please accept apologies also from our Restaurant Manager, Pietro Bellifemine, with whom I had already discussed this issue as I came back to the hotel from my Christmas break. I think there has been a series of misunderstandings that have led to a very unpleasant and unusual situation. As you may well understand Pietro has not come upstairs to your room with some cookies and champagne to reprimand your wife, but he only intended to apologize and express his regret not to have realized first that you had not enjoyed your meal and consequently not having been able to offer any alternative dish as long as you were at the restaurant. He apparently did not succeed in transmitting his best intentions and he is truly sorry for this.
I also reviewed orders for that same night and the same dishes you have been served have also been ordered by other guests and I have no record of any complaint on the subject. Obviously you cannot expect everybody being so earnest and open as you have been (and I sincerely thank you for that, because I think that feed back from our guests is the best way to improve ourselves and to try and avoid errors): I sincerely believe that the standard of our dishes is good and am prone to think that the chef has made a mistake and simply overcooked your meal (which should not but may happen).
I take the liberty to invite TripAdvisor readers to compare your experience with that of previous guests and in particular to read a recent review published on Dec. 16 where the same Pietro is mentioned as a great maitre d’ and our food is praised for its deliciousness.
As for our coffee: we serve espresso, cappuccino and latte made fresh with the typical Italian expresso machine. American coffee is actually instant coffee.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our property. I hope you will give our restaurant a second chance and accept an invitation for a complimentary dinner.
With my best regards,
Filippo Burroni

Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited the Hotel Minerva for one night as part of an anniversary trip. We had an amazing suite that had two baths, a living room with fold out couch (which was important because we were traveling with our children), a patio, and a spacious bedroom with television. The hotel is located in the same piazza as the beautiful Santa Maria Novella church. We had the view of the church from our patio. The hotel provided valet parking so we didn't need to worry about parking once we arrived. They offered a large breakfast consisting of a variety of foods including but not limited to standard Italian pastries, eggs, bacon, stewed tomatoes, sausage, hot/cold cereals, fruit, muesli, and teas/juices/coffees.

We were a few blocks north of Florence Cathedral, Dome, and Medici Castle, and within walking distance of a number of other attractions (leather markets, pharmacy of Santa Maria Novella, etc.). Other reviews I had seen told us to beware of the "drug" pushers hanging out in the piazza, but to my knowledge no one looked to be selling drugs nor dangerous looking. There was a carabinieri post right in the piazza as well so maybe that was added in recent years, but no one appeared to be overtly dangerous, but as always be aware of your surroundings.

There were some highly rated Italian restaurants within a block or so of our hotel and Florentines did not disappoint.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We returned to Florence to stay an additional night during our honeymoon. We previously stayed at Hotel Santa Maria Novella and Brunelleschi Hotel. Grand Hotel Minerva was by far the best hotel out of the three. The rooms are spacious and well designed. The breakfast was delicious and the staff really helpful. The location is within walking distance of the train station and all other major attractions. We wish we would have stayed here the whole time we were in Florence. There is also a rooftop terrace with a pool so it'd be great in the summer too.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SanDieg0Amy
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your benevolent review. We are really flattered by your comparison to properties that we regard as two of the best four stars in the city. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future and hope to match your expectations again!

With my best regards,

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a little outdated. The decoration looks old, but The rooms are confortable.

The staff is friendly and helpful (The only con was that they told us when we arrived that The parking costs 30 euros, when in fact it was 40 euros).

Very good breakfast and location!

The best: The view from the swimming pool is fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Polianasdh

Dear Guests,
thank you for having chosen our property for your stay at Grand Hotel Minerva. I am sorry that our premises have not fully matched your expectations and at the same time would like to thank you for appreciating the attitude of our staff. Please accept my apologies for a miscommunication regarding the price of our valet garage service. Actually the price for most cars is 30€ per night, but SUVs and some deluxe sports cars are are a bit more expensive, in fact 40€. I am sorry if our staff did not give you the full information at arrival.
I hope you will consider us for your next stay in Florence.

With my best regards

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We only had two days and night in Firenze. We selected this hotel off the net because it was close to train station, had a great rate for four people and had good Internet. We were very pleased, the welcome and service was wonderful, incl local eating houses. The rooms were as expected, comfortable and modern. Its location on the piazza is excellent and handy. Internet that works on all the family's devices is a godsend. I would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Craige G
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I chose this hotel mainly because of its rooftop pool and sunbaking area, so that one can sunbake during the day, go sightseeing/wandering in the afternoon and have dinner somewhere out and about Florence in the evening. This place exceeded my expectations. I had a great online rate, and was given a fab room, despite it being a discounted booking (as is often the case with a lot of hotels, ie you get the dingiest room if you book online at a discount). Not here. My room had most fantastic view onto the lovely piazza in which it stands, with lovely church of Santa Maria Novella to the left (walking distance to main train station), and Duomo and the rooftops of Florence right in front of you. The poolside and sunbaking area is very low key, with cute little bar to the side, and the roof terrace affords spectacular views over Florence, particularly beautiful at sunset. I saw people dropping in for a drink (not guests of the hotel) just to enjoy the view and take photos. The room was spacious and super clean, service excellent. Would stay again in a beat!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank l-globetrotter
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel had a great location and view....It was also old enough and modern enough for our taste... From the room we were staying there was a fabulous view of the quare and the Duomo.Walking distance to everything and very convenient if you need to take the train to another city as the train station is 5min walk from the hotel.
The service was great.