“Great Hotel”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #50 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I attended a wedding in Florence recently and stayed at the Grand Minerva Hotel. The hotel is in a great location just a few minutes from train station. Rooms were very nice, spacious and very clean. The bathroom was a great size. The breakfast was very good, all you could want. The staff were always helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. The pool at the top and the house was great and there was a very nice terrace there also where you could order food as well as beverages. Its a good idea to eat in places that are not in the main squares as these can be much better value and the quality of food is far superior. I would stay at the Minerva next time I am in Florence.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,047)

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great spot for doing Florence on foot. Room overlooked plaza and nearby rooftop gardens. Was great.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sharontognietti
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My single room was really tiny. Bathroom was tiny too. It was like living in my walk-in closet back home in Minnesota. The hotel itself is old. A lot of wear and tear. I could hear a lot hallway noises. The pool is tiny, but it has a great rooftop view.

Grand Hotel Minerva is due for a major upgrade. Thank the lord I only had to stay one night, otherwise I would have to moved to a the Hilton Metropole (free shuttle to downtown). Minerva staff was very professional and helpful. Extremely convenience as it is right in downtown Florence.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Dear Guest,
let me first of all thank you for booking our hotel and for having stayed with us even if the room you were assigned was not up to your expectations. It is true, our single rooms are tiny (about 14 square metres / 150 square feet) but nicely equipped. We have just a few of them available: for those who wish more space and a queen or king size bed I recommend booking what we call a “double for single use”, i.e. a double room which is occupied by one single person and therefore is normally sold at a somewhat lower rate. I would like to add that 6 out of 7 of our single rooms (the hotel has 102 rooms in total) have a gorgeous view on the square of Santa Maria Novella and that in 4 out of 7 the bed is 110 cm wide (the standard single bed or twin bed is normally 90 cm wide).

I also would like to take advantage of your comments to say that we are continually working to maintain our rooms in a good shape and improve our facilities. Some examples of things carried out and programmed for 2011:

- Re-carpeting of several rooms
- New flat TV-Sets already ordered and due to be installed in the next future
- New chairs, tables and sun beds for the rooftop terrace: you can even check them out on our facebook page

A last note: in the past some nasty odours could be smelled on the square in front of the hotel (and not only) and some TripAdvisor members duly reviewed this situation. This problem followed the repaving of the square itself which was completed a couple of years ago by the Administration of Florence. We are very proud to say that our head of maintenance has recently detected what the problem was and we can consider this issue as definitely solved.

I truly hope that in case you will come back to Florence you will give us the chance to assign you a room which really suits your needs.

With my best regards,

Filippo Burroni

Reviewed June 5, 2011

The position is just fantastic, step out of the hotel and you're not in the middle of the square ... you're just in Santa Maria Novella Church. It's also close to go by foot to Piazza della Signoria and Piazza Duomo. The room furniture is very good. Very clean, large bedrooms and absolutly relaxing (one of the best bed I've ever had in my "hotel-life" experience :) I went with my wife and son (1yrs old) and we had very good time (including the breakfast. The swimming pool on the roof is just amazing, you see all Firenze town center. Absolutly GREAT! The staff is very nice and they are always in a hurry to help you. I think it'll be my choice again when in Firenze.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We spent 2 nights here in late May. Location was great...close to most of the major attractions, just around the corner from the railway station, and on the Piazza de Maria Santa Novella. Rooftop pool and bar really attractive and offered great views. Breakfast was included in our rate and was really good with full hot/cold options and with plenty of room in the eating area. Our room was a good size but more basic than other places we stayed. Room safe keyed not electronic. Would stay again and free wi-fi with password appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The rooftop made the vacation, beautiful setting, the most spectacular view and no better place to relax and enjoy the scenery. This is the place that you should stay if you want to be absolutely blown away by the views. With a great breakfast and nice room, there is no option that even compares. Of course a slight Italian flair to some of the waiters (one in specific), but the front desk staff are AMAZING, their dinner recommendations perfect!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Minerva in May 2011. The staff, breakfast (warm and cold buffet), room size and view of the Piazza were all Fabulous. Great view of the Doumo and sunset! easy walk to the main shopping and dinning areas.

Room Tip: Book more than 45 days out!