FH Grand Hotel Mediterraneo
Orcagna Hotel(Florence)
Hotel River(Florence)
Hotel Jane(Florence)
2,234 results
All reviewsamerican barbusy hotellarge hotelarno riverrooms are smallsanta crocebuffet styleitalian hotelsdecent sizeclean hotelmin walkpastriestrafalgarattractionsdrawerswalkabletuscany
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were on a Tuscany trip and stayed three nights at this hotel. The room was a little on the small size, but this is not uncommon for city hotels and the cleanliness and facilities were fine. There was a bar area with the opportunity to drink on a small front terrace; however, the nearby road was quite busy. On the other side of the road was a grass and wooded area alongside the River Arno, and there were cafes and bars there which were quite good. Alongside the hotel was their restaurant 'Outside' which was good. Breakfasts were uninspiring and rather ordinary - not untypical of "tour-operator food", but they were 'ok' A big plus feature was the proximity of the hotel to the sights of Florence - one could be in the centre of the city within fifteen minutes.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My daughter and I visited Grand Hotel Mediterraneo while on a Globus Italian tour. The hotel is in walking distance to the main sites of Florence. The rooms are comfortable, though small like most of them in Italy. The bathroom was decent and came with hairdryer. I think we got 5 hours of WIFI for our stay, though could buy unlimited for $18 for our 24-hour stay. Since I mistakenly left my IPAD on WIFI, I inadvertently used those five hours while we were at dinner and with the tour group. Highly recommend disengaging WIFI on all devices as you log off.

The breakfast was in a nice, large dining room that had a number of options and good service. My daughter ordered espresso and there was no additional charge. They also had gluten-free options, which was helpful to tour-mates. Like the other hotels we stayed at, though, the Italian interpretation of American breakfasts must be taken into account. Their breakfast is heavy on pastry, unsweetened cereal, juices, and fruit. They attempt to provide scrambled eggs (runny) and bacon (lightly cooked and soft). They try, but the eggs and bacon were not something I could eat. However, that is not their fault, but something all hotels catering to Americans should consider if they are going to provide them. Few of our tour-mates would eat the eggs and bacon. They also had antipasti plates of cheeses and meats out.

There is a nice park that was showing the World Cup on a large screen and path along the rive just across the street from the hotel. A number of tour groups were there, yet I did not feel cramped or crowded ... in fact hardly knew others were there except at breakfast, yet seating was immediate and no lines. My daughter and I felt comfortable walking to the sites in the city, which was a short walk to the right or left. I understood there was a cheaper shopping district than the one we went to, yet I didn't plan to go leather or jewelry shopping on this trip. Nonetheless, the leather is phenomenal, soft, and luxurious.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TarheelZee
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel is in a great location for those who don't mind walking. You can get to all the main sites in about 20-25 minutes. The hotel is right along the river, across the street from a park. Great running path for travelers trying to squeeze in some exercise on the trip, since the hotel does not have a fitness center. Breakfast was mediocre. Hotel seems to cater to huge tour groups. The wifi was strong, and AC was great. Rooms were a decent size, as was the bathroom. The shower was a little difficult to use.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grace19920
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were disappointed in this hotel, especially for the cost. The best thing I can say is that it is definitely within walking distance of almost everything you may wish to see. My wife and I could usually walk for 20-25 minutes to see most everything. It is also on the river and the view was very nice. However, the free wi-fi did not work in our room and when I asked at the front desk I received a shoulder shrug. The closest spot was to sit by the elevator on our floor. One day we came back to our room and the lights would not work. The hair dryer my wife used that morning decided to go back on without us and blew a fuse. It only took 15 minutes for someone to come up and fix it. If we are going to spend more money on a room I would at least like the people at the front desk to be helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovinghusband2014
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in July 14...staff very friendly on arrival and gave us a map and explained where everything of interest was.
Our room was a little on the small size but very clean and had everything we needed for the stay and the A.C and free wifi was heaven after walking around a very hot Florence.
Breakfast was included and good.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple