“Avoid this hotel, not 4*!!”

FH Grand Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #199 of 412 Hotels in Florence
“Avoid this hotel, not 4*!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have just for back from a stay at this hotel. It states that it is 4* but that is far from the case. The room was tiny, we had to move chairs around to get around th room (we are not larger build either...) the hotel staff were rude and particularly at reception took a whole to even acknowledge our presence and then seemed as if we were bothering them when asking questions like how we can get the bus into the centre. The buffet breakfast was mediocre, the usual croissants and cheese, nothing special. I would not recommend this Hotel and I certainly WILL NOT be staying here again. Terrible.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Oranges2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 1, 2013

During our trip to Italy, my sister (26 yrs.) and I (32 yrs.) stayed in 3 hotels: a 2 star in Rome, a 3 star in Venice, an this "4" star hotel in Florence. The hotel is nice, clean and you might even say conveniently located. When we arrived we were immediately checked in by a not very friendly staff member (female). Our bedroom was on the 4th floor of the hotel and was VERY small. In our bedroom a queen sized bed, two night stands, and armoire and a desk with TV and mini fridge were crammed. It definitely made me remember those dorm rooms back in college... The bathroom though, was decently sized. And the TV in the room (we only wanted to watch a bit at night while getting ready for bed...) didn't worked at first. I had to ask 2 different staff members before having someone come over and fix it.

The reception staff was incredibly RUDE. They would always made you wait quite a bit in front of the reception area before even acknowledging your presence; and once they did, it was as if it bothered them having to answer any questions. They were NOT helpful at all. When asking a staff member which bus I had to take and where in order to get to the train station (I had an early train to Pisa for a day trip), she looked at me as if I was such a drag, grabbed a map from the front desk and pointed me a street a couple of blocks from the hotel and said I should take number 14 and that I would be able to figure my way back. The next day, I followed her instructions and learned that not only #14 went in several directions; but that the one I needed was a couple of blocks away from were she had pointed me out.
The rudeness from all reception staff members (except for Tomasso, he was the only one who actually helped me out a bit) was perceived from day 1 to my last day at the hotel. When my driver came to pick me and my sister to take us to the train station for our last leg of our trip, the reception staff notified him that there were no guests at the hotel with our names. When we go to the front desk to check out they took all of their time before they even acknowledge our presence. We paid our taxes and when we started walking towards the front door to wait for our driver, the lady at the front desk told us that there was someone waiting for us somewhere outside. It just so happens that our driver had arrived 20 minutes before the scheduled time! We immediately started looking for him. When we found the driver he said that the staff was really rude with him and told him that we weren't staying there. That there were no guests registered with my name. He even urged them to look us up by our first names, middle names or either of our last names to see if any gave them a clue. They just insisted that we were not there. Thankfully, our driver didn't trust them and waited for us. My sister, who is completely fluent in Italian, and I heard when the driver called his company and told them (in Italian) to stop looking for us because he had found us and that the hotel should hire new staff because the ones they had were rude, dumb and had no idea of what their job was. Needless to say we both laughed and that was the one thing that made us smile during our stay at this hotel.
This being the most expensive and highest rated hotel I stayed in during my trip to Italy I expected a lot from it. Yet, all I got was VERY BAD service and RUDENESS. I had a much better time and overall experience in my 2 star hotel in Rome than here. I definitely WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. It really isn't worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ileska v

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

UK
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel as everyone has said looks pretty good from the outside and the lobby. It's all well maintained, clean and modern. The bar was good, and the person who served me on two separate occasions (female staff member) was very pleasant.

The room wasn't great at all. It was very dark, small although was quite clean. It really smelled though. I think it may be because of ventilation as when you put the air con on, the smell seemed to go. It smelled of sewage - like from a toilet, which hit you everytime you entered the room. There is a flat screen TV with numerous channels. Mini bar fridge (very expensive) but useful for our own items we bought. The air conditioning is terrible - can barely feel it, and the noise from other rooms and the corridor is too much. Also wish the room had a kettle and tea/coffee.

Staff - Some were ok, but some weren't very nice. I didn't have as many bad experiences as others on here, but found about half were good and half weren't.

Location - wasn't too bad. About 30 minute walk to the Duomo but that was quite pleasant as theres lots to see. The number 14 bus goes into the centre and back which we used a fair bit. There is also a city tour bus that stops almost opposite the hotel.

Breakfast - we had breakfast there. Wasn't as bad as others make out. Lots of rolls, cheese ham, bacon, boiled egg, cereals, etc... tea, coffee, juice and water. Was just what we wanted.

Additionally, check-out was annoying. There were two staff members, and they were dealing with someone each. I was waiting and it took about 15 minutes. At one stage one of them came free and answered the phone instead. They weren't friendly on this occasion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redrabbit29
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at here as part of a 4 day tour that began in Rome and ends in Venice with a few stops in between. The hotel looks nice from the outside and the foyer is lovely with marble floors and air conditioning. That is about where the highs end. The staff are rude and dismissive and made us feel like an imposition from the moment we walked through the front door. in all my years of traveling and working hospitality i have never encountered anywhere like it. The staff in the restaurant are absolutely appalling. Don't expect a smile because you will be very disappointed. All the staff wander around the place like they would rather be somewhere else - I mean they actually shuffle their feet lethargically and look through you. Don't ask a question and expect some effort to make it happen because again you will be very disappointed. When we arrived for breakfast we were forbidden to walk through the front door of the restaurant but were instead directed to the side entrance reserved for groups. I asked for a powerpoint in the restaurant so i could work over a coffee but this was too hard apparently. They just mumbled something in Italian and walked away! The coffee machine did not work and when i asked for help the young lady glared at me as if I had grown a second head and then waved me onto another machine further away without a word. I mentioned this girl to reception afterwards and she confirmed this girl was a long term problem and even encouraged us to put our complaint about her in writing! We rang housekeeping, room service and reception and got no answer each time so we walked down and asked for a knife and plate to cut our salami and cheese on for lunch and were directed to the restaurant but were then forbidden to take them By staff. We left the make up our room sign out for 6 hours and then when we returned to a dirty room after site seeing for most of the day it was still not done, which was fine but then housekeeping knocked 20 mins after we got back and refused to allow us 15 mins to get ourselves organized to clear out so they could clean. The woman flatly refused very loudly to come back, saying that it was not possible so we told her to forget it. I worked in hospitality in a 5 star hotel for many years in Australia and was taught from the beginning that no matter what the guest needs - we make it happen. This is clearly not the motto for this hotel because we have been waved away or told no at every juncture and have been made feel like we are a bother from the moment we walked through the door. I mean its not like we asked for the earth, just some service with a smile. I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kim S
New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I recently returned from Italy with a group of people and I served as the group leader... We stayed at the Hotel Mediterraneo for two nights and it met our expectations. Here are my observations:

Hotel -- The hotel itself was quite decent and presentable; several nice sized conference rooms; it has a nice lobby area for everyone to gather; it was somewhat warm -- I would advice the hotel to turn up the air-condition in the public and restaurant areas, please.

Food/Restaurants -- We ate at the restaurant once and the meal was ok -- the soup and pasta were very good. The staff were very efficient and were on top of things -- especially because there were many other groups checked-in the hotel and were having a meal

The American bar at the lobby area was great! Enjoyed hanging out there -- especially at the outdoor part, with friends during the cool summer evenings.

Breakfast buffet was fine. Typical selection for the Italian's "American breakfast" version -- runny eggs and pale bacon.

Rooms -- it was small (compared to American standard), but quite nice and clean. I had a room overlooking the main road and Arno River with a patio. The room was padded and sound proof -- it was great! It was quiet and I barely heard the traffic from the outside.

Staff -- were very accommodating and helpful; restaurant staff were very friendly

Location -- Not a bad location --- 10 minute, easy walk to Piazza Santa Croce; about 20 minutes to Piazza Vecchio; 30 minutes to the Duomo; about 15 minutes to Ponte Vecchio; otherwise you can catch a cab for about 10 Euros each way.

If you don't mind the walk and away from the center, it's a good place to stay and the hotel is decent; otherwise, you may want to stay at another hotel closer to the center... Also, wi-fi is not too good in the rooms. You have to go to the lobby to get a decent signal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors, either at the back (then you can see the Dumo), or the road. The...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lovely hotel situated some distance from the heart of Florence, this can be a problem in hot weather when you want to explore the city on foot, Clean comfortable rooms and public area. A nice Bistro adjacent to the hotel, lovely Italian food served there, very convenient after a tiring day exploring.Hotel food was disappointing, kept in hot trays and warm rather than hot.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook a park
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Idaho
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our stay at the Grand Hotel Mediterraneo was a pleasant one. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious,quiet and clean.There were several tour groups staying at this hotel but it did not feel or sound like a lot of people were there. The hotel is located in a lovely location with the river just across the street.The lobby is cool and inviting on a hot summer day. It was a bit of a maze to get to our room however. We had to take an elevator then walk down a hall to another to get to our floor. We did get lost a couple of times trying to find our room but not really a big deal. This hotel is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the center of Florence. The complimentary breakfast was fine with the usual European meats, cheese and bread offerings. There were some warm dishes available but we did not try them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family