“We are not sure what to say.”

Pancioli Majestic Hotel
Ranked #339 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Ohio
“We are not sure what to say.”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We had come in from Rome to stay in Florence. The room here was very large but in real need of remodeling and cleaning. We had our 2 teens with us and were given ajoining rooms, it then had a total of 4 baths for 4 people, not bad. Our mattress had a piece of particle board under it ???? not sure what that was about, but really wierd. I told my husband this was probably the place the stars stayed back in the day but not anymore - needs remodeling badly, stained carpets etc. The woodwork was coming off of the baseboard. We did not use the elevator because it took too long to call. I was able to use the internet to check e-mail, but on the last night of our stay they told me it was now 5 euro an hour, I told them I only needed a couple minutes, but an hour was the minimum required. Unfotunatly I do not know the exact price of this hotel because it was booked in a lump sum with all of our trip, but I know that it was more than what we spend in the U.S. for a beautiful place.

• Liked — Location not bad near train station
  • Disliked — A couple of nights were noisy but I think they collect garbage and clean streets at night
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Flosstoday

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 18, 2007

The room was booked by a travel agency for a conference that was taking place there so we couldn't choose a different hotel. I was prepared what to expect after reading the reviews on the tripadvisor, but I was hoping not to be so bad as we had to stay there 4 nights. The facade of the building was so ugly and out of character and the smell of urine took as right away. In addition, there were empty bottles of beers in front of the building and some strange guys hanging there!

After doing the check-in a guy grabbed our luggages in an impolite way dragging them in an elevetor and using gestrures he tried to show us to take the other elevetor across the lobby. Another girl who was quite impolite took us to our room eventually!

The room seemed not being renovated for the last 20 years. The matress was so old that you had the feeling that you will fall down. The blanket had almost no wool on it and was filthy! And of course there was that mixed smell of humidity and oldness that was all over the hotel. The good thing was that they were changing all the towels everyday but they didn't have a fresh smell. They had the smelll of being closed in the closet for some years!!!

You could only stand in this room with the window open (fortunately the weather was great) but the noise coming from the street was unbearable. There were always fights going on from the drunk people sitting outside the hotel!

The breakfast was very basic and boring, but you could get an espresso if you were asking for one.

This is not a 4-star hotel (for sure) and I don't know how they are getting the stars but they should be more strict.

• Liked — Close to the train station
  • Disliked — smells, rooms, noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fuorio

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Niagara Falls, NY
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I was on a Globus tour (Grand Tour of Italy & Sicily) and the tour group was booked into this hotel for one night. Thank goodness it was only one night for it was the longest night of my life!

When we were able to get into our rooms my mother and I did the once over and just looked at each other and laughed. We thought it was a joke or something because our hotel in Rome had been so nice; it was literally one extreme to the next!

While checking out the bathroom I touched the shower door and it literally broke in my hand; came right off the hinge and there was a huge piece of porcelin missing from the top of the toilet. My aunt and uncle were also on tour with us and the toilet in their room had no water in the tank so it couldn't be flushed. My aunt called down to the front desk to tell them about it as soon as we arrived and was told someone would be up to fix it, however no one ever arrived. I also told them about the shower door in our room but didn't see anyone to fix that before we left the following morning. Oh, and there is a piece of plywood between the boxspring and the mattress. Not sure exactly what this is for but... The hotel is in serious need of a remodel or needs to be abandoned!!! Also, the same girl that checked us in at 3 p.m. was still on duty at 7 a.m. the next morning when I turned in our key.

Later in the evening the entire hotel was overcome with the unbearable stench of sewer which was unescapable. We did get an explanation regarding the air conditioning from our tour director. Believe it or not because of all of the energy saving that Italy is involved in, air conditioning is strictly regulated & is prohibited from being turned on before May 1st! So even if your hotel has air conditioning and it's hot before May 1st, you won't be able to use it in your hotel room because they aren't allowed to turn it on. With that said we were in Italy during the middle of a spring heatwave and had the same problems with the excessive noise, street cleaners, etc with the windows open. Even with the windows closed the noise was very loud and everyone on my tour (42 people in all) had a very restless night at the Grand Hotel Majestic.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank LuvMyTwins
Naples, Italy
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We PAID 20 Euros a day for secured underground parking attendance at Grand Hotel Majestic and on the second day when we went to pick up our car there was an enormous dent on the rear passengerside door that no one could explain. Even though they have the area video taped and supervised with an attendant, they refused to show us what happened or take responsibility for the hit and run. And in the end still charged us the full 40 Euros for the 2 days of parking. I wish I could sue them!!! DO NOT GO HERE. They will rip you off and ruin your car.

• Stayed April 2007
3 Thank d1baker
Sydney
Reviewed April 16, 2007

As we entered this hotel, the smell was overpowering. t is hard to say what it was but it was not nice. I did them a huge favour by leaving te front door open!

The building is old but not a good old. Our room did not have a minibar as it was being repaired. They did move us without any fuss. Room was hot but not allowed to have air con on. We left the windows open for air but the sparrow sized mozzies feasted on us all night and the noise outside was unbearable.

The stench of urine outside the motel (as well as the station) was nothing short of putrid. If the hotel staff know alcoholics will urinate on their site then they should grab a watering can - this would not be a waste of water!!

The positive for this motel was thesize of the room and bathroom and the location. Very close to station and tourist meeting points. In saying that I would look around for another motel.

• Liked — close to train station
  • Disliked — smell of foyer and outside motel, run down, some staff standing waiting for a tip - we are not from USA!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoandMel
Northern Virginia
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I only stayed in this hotel for one evening...and that was one evening too many.

I booked this hotel for a single evening so that we would have accommodations in Florence after returning from a brief excursion from Florence to Venice...and before flying back home the next day.

What we asked (and paid for):

- A smoke-free room

- A triple

- A four star hotel

What we got when we checked in around 10pm:

- A room that smelled like it had been smoked in non-stop. Apparently, smoke-free meant that no one would be smoking in it when we checked in.

- Two twin beds cramped together and a cot near the window, which pretty much occupied 75% of the hotel room's usable walking space.

- A room that was 90 degrees plus when we checked in...and no ability to turn on air conditioning.

- A deafening noise level from the street, only made worse when the windows were opened to counter the stifling heat.

We called the front desk and asked for help. We mentioned the heat and they said to open the window. We mentioned the noise level, and they said close the window. We inquired about air conditioning and they said no dice. We asked about moving rooms and they said none were available. To make issues worse, they were fairly rude. I suppose if this was a budget hotel, perhaps their attitude would have been understandable...PERHAPS...but this is (supposedly) a four star hotel...and a hotel that is NOT inexpensive.

I cannot stress how loud the neighborhood is. The hotel is across the street from the train station...but the train noise is nothing compared to the noise of cars, scooters, people yelling, street sweepers glacially cleaning the parking lot beneath our window for OVER TWO HOURS between 10pm and midnight, and (I am not kidding) someone banging on a pipe at 2:00 AM...for the better part of an hour.

My wife and daughter were miserable...and we each managed to only sleep for an hour or so all evening. Save your money. Sleep on a bench in the train station. You'll be happier...even if you have to pay the same expense.

• Liked — My luggage was safer than it would have been if I slept on a park bench
  • Disliked — Smell, stifling heat, deafening noise, rude staff
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Nova_Steve
UK
Reviewed April 12, 2007

We stayed in a3* in Rome for two days, then two nights at the Grand Majestic in Florence.

My boyfriend booked this up for a xmas present and he just was told the price and that it was a 4*, so he thought it must be a decent hotel which a good location. If only he read the reviews on here first!

Comming from a perfect, lovely 3* hotel which cost half the price of this one, we were expecting something a bit more special for this 4* rated hotel.
We was wrong! The location is the only thing good about this hotel. It is pretty much right next to the Santa Maria station which is Florence main train station so you can always find your way back or get taxis easily ect.
The hotel is extemely old and crusty. The outside looks pretty much how the inside will look!
The rooms are big - i will give it that but it was filthy! It had such a horrible perfum smell when we first walked in -probably sprayed by a cleaner to avoid proper cleaning!
The bathroom was horrible. Had only a bath with a shower bit that you had to hold. The bathroom was pretty clean, but just looked like a bathroom that hadnt seen a decorator for 70years. The tiles had crack and just looked like a bath you really didnt want to get in.

If i had payed a low amount for this hotel, it wouldnt had been so bad as at least the room was big and the location good. But for £100 per room for the two of us, we thought it was a joke!

We just made the best of it as we were only there for two days anyway and as it was a lovely present for me, i didnt want to moan. We both felt let down by this hotel though.
Florence is such a lovely place and that was the highlight for us, defo not the hotel.

The breakfast was ok, pretty much the same for many hotels. Beware of the scrambled egg that had one moring, it didnt look nice at all!!

I wouldnt go back here. This hotel needs alot of desperate work! The rooms are overpriced, dusty, old and smells weird. There will be much more cheaper and nicer hotels about -trust me!!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple