“Noisy but great value”

Pancioli Majestic Hotel
Ranked #338 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 25, 2007

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 3-nights at the end of November 2007. I booked the hotel on the web before reading the very negative reviews posted on this site, nevertheless like true Brits we decided to honour our booking. Generally we found the hotel perfectly ok, the rooms whilst not benefiting from the most up-to the minute decor were fine, clean and with plenty of space. However like most of the City the hint of drains was always present. Breakfast was OK and service was as friendly as we found anywhere in Italy. In summary for the 60 euros per night we paid for this hotel it was great value. However one word of warning, the outside noise was a bit of a nuisance.

Stayed: November 2007

Reviewed August 25, 2007

Our 5-night stay at this hotel was terrible! When we arrived, we immediately were greeted by an awful moldy odour in the lobby. Upon entering our adjoining rooms, we faced many amenities that did not work - one of the doors, the phone, the TV. Even the air conditioning was weak at best. The hotel staff was extremely unresponsive to our complaints. However, the worst part was the discovery of bed bugs. The first few nights, we were waking up with small red marks all over our body. Not being familiar with bed bugs, we were unsure as to what these welts were and were unconcerned. However, waking up after our fourth night - we were both comletely covered in welts all over our bodies. I had at least 40 or so bites all over! At this point, we knew something was up. We switched hotel rooms, only to find an actual bug crawling the wall of our new room. The hotel staff denied a bug problem, even though we even saw maids carrying bottles of RAID on their carts. Needless to say, we left the hotel itchy, swollen, voilated, and uncompensated. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank bert6
Reviewed July 31, 2007

There's a lovely old poster of the Majestic in the foyer from its heyday back in the 60s... it's not quite what you'll get these days. My lovely wife and I stayed here in May for a night and really we've no complaints. Location is great... the hotel overlooks the Santa Maria Novella (we saw nothing but cars in the carpark) and is a quick stroll to the Duomo or the train station.

There's plenty to like about the place... I dunno... The Majestic is just... well... a bit tired.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank JayneAndD
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We had come in from Rome to stay in Florence. The room here was very large but in real need of remodeling and cleaning. We had our 2 teens with us and were given ajoining rooms, it then had a total of 4 baths for 4 people, not bad. Our mattress had a piece of particle board under it ???? not sure what that was about, but really wierd. I told my husband this was probably the place the stars stayed back in the day but not anymore - needs remodeling badly, stained carpets etc. The woodwork was coming off of the baseboard. We did not use the elevator because it took too long to call. I was able to use the internet to check e-mail, but on the last night of our stay they told me it was now 5 euro an hour, I told them I only needed a couple minutes, but an hour was the minimum required. Unfotunatly I do not know the exact price of this hotel because it was booked in a lump sum with all of our trip, but I know that it was more than what we spend in the U.S. for a beautiful place.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Flosstoday
Reviewed May 18, 2007

The room was booked by a travel agency for a conference that was taking place there so we couldn't choose a different hotel. I was prepared what to expect after reading the reviews on the tripadvisor, but I was hoping not to be so bad as we had to stay there 4 nights. The facade of the building was so ugly and out of character and the smell of urine took as right away. In addition, there were empty bottles of beers in front of the building and some strange guys hanging there!

After doing the check-in a guy grabbed our luggages in an impolite way dragging them in an elevetor and using gestrures he tried to show us to take the other elevetor across the lobby. Another girl who was quite impolite took us to our room eventually!

The room seemed not being renovated for the last 20 years. The matress was so old that you had the feeling that you will fall down. The blanket had almost no wool on it and was filthy! And of course there was that mixed smell of humidity and oldness that was all over the hotel. The good thing was that they were changing all the towels everyday but they didn't have a fresh smell. They had the smelll of being closed in the closet for some years!!!

You could only stand in this room with the window open (fortunately the weather was great) but the noise coming from the street was unbearable. There were always fights going on from the drunk people sitting outside the hotel!

The breakfast was very basic and boring, but you could get an espresso if you were asking for one.

This is not a 4-star hotel (for sure) and I don't know how they are getting the stars but they should be more strict.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fuorio
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I was on a Globus tour (Grand Tour of Italy & Sicily) and the tour group was booked into this hotel for one night. Thank goodness it was only one night for it was the longest night of my life!

When we were able to get into our rooms my mother and I did the once over and just looked at each other and laughed. We thought it was a joke or something because our hotel in Rome had been so nice; it was literally one extreme to the next!

While checking out the bathroom I touched the shower door and it literally broke in my hand; came right off the hinge and there was a huge piece of porcelin missing from the top of the toilet. My aunt and uncle were also on tour with us and the toilet in their room had no water in the tank so it couldn't be flushed. My aunt called down to the front desk to tell them about it as soon as we arrived and was told someone would be up to fix it, however no one ever arrived. I also told them about the shower door in our room but didn't see anyone to fix that before we left the following morning. Oh, and there is a piece of plywood between the boxspring and the mattress. Not sure exactly what this is for but... The hotel is in serious need of a remodel or needs to be abandoned!!! Also, the same girl that checked us in at 3 p.m. was still on duty at 7 a.m. the next morning when I turned in our key.

Later in the evening the entire hotel was overcome with the unbearable stench of sewer which was unescapable. We did get an explanation regarding the air conditioning from our tour director. Believe it or not because of all of the energy saving that Italy is involved in, air conditioning is strictly regulated & is prohibited from being turned on before May 1st! So even if your hotel has air conditioning and it's hot before May 1st, you won't be able to use it in your hotel room because they aren't allowed to turn it on. With that said we were in Italy during the middle of a spring heatwave and had the same problems with the excessive noise, street cleaners, etc with the windows open. Even with the windows closed the noise was very loud and everyone on my tour (42 people in all) had a very restless night at the Grand Hotel Majestic.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank LuvMyTwins
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We PAID 20 Euros a day for secured underground parking attendance at Grand Hotel Majestic and on the second day when we went to pick up our car there was an enormous dent on the rear passengerside door that no one could explain. Even though they have the area video taped and supervised with an attendant, they refused to show us what happened or take responsibility for the hit and run. And in the end still charged us the full 40 Euros for the 2 days of parking. I wish I could sue them!!! DO NOT GO HERE. They will rip you off and ruin your car.

• Stayed: April 2007