1,160 results
All reviewsrooftop barastoria hoteltrain stationold palacesan lorenzobreakfast room isdecent sizeold world charmside streetfifth floorhotel is in a great locationpastriesmajor attractionsbeautiful roomhigh ceilingsaround the corneron foot
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Faded and jaded a 4 star hotel it is NOT, it needs a complete make over. Anyone who has enjoyed staying here must never have stayed in a true 4 star hotel before. Clean it may be but with holes in the skirting we wondered what may come crawling out, furniture is batterered and the hole place has a creepy look which would make your flesh crawl. We hated returning to it at night. The rooftop terrace is kitted out cheaply and was equally disappointing, the restaurant is tacky and lacking in ambience. Location is good but we saw many true 4 star hotels in this city in equal or better locations. Staff was excellent, courteous and helpful, breakfast was limited in variety but great in quality. However nothing would ever persuade me to return to this DUMP. WE got it really cheap at 133euro per night, on their own website. We should have known, if you pay cheap it costs you dear. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I will certainly be more circumspect in my choice of hotel in future. I wonder about the positive reviews, they could not be either independent or frank.

Stayed: July 2006
14  Thank mcgorr
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We booked our stay with the Boscolo Astoria in Florence via their website as the hotel looked amazing with a great location. The location is great but the hotel is a disgrace!

The place is run down, the staff are the worst I have ever found in ANY hotel. The front desk manager didnt care how he was perceived and was openly rude to everybody, grunting at you and ignoring guests. I dont know how many times I watched him look at a guest waiting at the desk and blatantly just walk into the back office or continue talking to other staff members leaving guests unattended - the guy is on some very weird power trip. You were made to feel like you were interupting him and had no right to and it didnt seem to me like the staff were overrun with guests or requests, just that the staff had contempt and distain for the guests. One afternoon I called down to ask how to use the inhouse movie system (no notice explaining this in the room) and boy did I regret it. I got the same rude front desk manager whom treated me like an idiot for asking and then once he had rudely explained to me how to do it said "it usually doesn't work", anyway I gave it a go found a movie I liked and selected pay/play. The sounds was so low you couldn't hear so I called the desk back and he was really annoyed about this and raised his voice and told me that he said "It didn't work and it was my own fault"! Umm, didnt he previously say it "usually doesnt work!" and what exactly was my own fault? Needless to say Rude Manager guy did not bother to remove it from my bill even when I said it was unwatchable.

Don't try to get a drink anywhere in the hotel. The roof barman was beyond sleezy and told us when we arrived at 11pm that he was closing BUT would LET us have 1 drink. Then proceeded to tell us how much he disliked the Asian guests and said "he would stay open later just for us"! (?? because we aren't asian???) This guy was truly unbelivable i later saw a notice saying that the bar was open to residents until 1am!!!

The breakfast was not worth paying extra to have added in your room rate. They have a guest comment book on the front desk (obviously they dont bother to read ALL the really bad reviews in it!)...one guy said "Dont eat in the restaurant, The staff are alergic to mornings, This place is Faulty Towers" signed Bob (see pic) and I had just had a faulty towers breakfast and couldn't help but laugh at how right Bob was! The breakfast is standard-ish continential served on what was once many many years ago a nice Italian garden/courtyard....until all the plants died (they are dead but still there!!) and the water fountain was turned off (just looks horrid) and dont think they are into cleaning the place. Everything is messy, salt shaker has peper in it, tea pots (all of them) do not have lids to the staff just balance a saucer on for a makeshift lid........ They have these menus which are printed on a really bad and cheap inkjet (see pic) which tell you if you want anything other than cheese, salami, toast, or cordial like OJ then it costs extra. Ok pretty tight considering the rates we were paying, but when I eventually tracked down one of the "we-are-all-scared-of-customers-staff" and asked for my eggs she ran away and got her manager whom made a big deal of explaining (like I was 4 not 34) to me that I couldnt have the eggs as they were not included in my rate. ummmm I got that when I ordered from the menu and actually pointed to what I wanted on the menu when I ordered! Finally got the eggs and they were swiming in oil and inedible. If you have to stay here forget the breakfast and go down to the delightful and wonderful Rocco hotel nearby and have their amazing and delicious breakfast.

The rooms were old and very tired. Nice bed linen but both my and my companions rooms were smelly and the staff dont care to knock and just wander in when they like staring at you and obviously being Astoria staff - no apologies, this happened to me twice, my friends once and I even saw they room manager do it to some other poor guest. Room service is only available at certain times of the day and has no snacks only the usual italian pasta, veal etc. Room service for me is very important in a hotel it really makes me feel on holiday and breakfast or a sandwich or burger sometimes from room service is one of the reasons I choose 4/5 star. No the Astoria Boscolo. Dont even bother trying to look for the minibar price list - doesnt exist.

I could go on another 1000 words about the other poor levels of service I encountered at this hotel but have wasted enough of my energy on this place. All together this hotel is a disgrace to the Boscolo Brand and the management ALL need the sack and the other staff all need some serious training. The only member of staff whom was nice and professional was the porter.

NO WAY is this place 4 star.

I stayed at the Boscolo in Rome and was sure they couldnt be part of the same group as the hotel was a much more pleasing experience!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
30  Thank InLondon
Reviewed June 21, 2006

This is an excellent hotel from the rooms to the fantastic art and architecture of the inside of the building. The staff was overly helpful and even walked us through the hotel and took our pictures in all of the amazing rooms on the second floor. We loved our room. It was two story with a very comfortable bed and large bathroom. It was very quite and peaceful at night. It was in an excellent location one block from San Lorenzo market and the Duomo. We will definitley stay there next time. They also have free internet which is great.

9  Thank shannashaw05
Reviewed May 7, 2006

I knew to expect small rooms, but the "classic double" for 4 nights was painfully tight for two. Breakfast was quite poor.... a small selection that was frequently depleted and slowly replenished. Our room was near the kitchen and one night we kept on hearing noise and banging from there after a special event. Three phone calls and a loud confrontation at the front desk finally got them to stop just after midnight! Overall, the hotel could use a serious renovation. Would definitely look for somewhere else next time!

• Stayed: April 2006
17  Thank FLLtourist
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Stayed at the hotel April 2006 (2 nights). It important to book a room at the upper floors (5 oder 6). We had room 511 with a great view all over Florence. At first, they gave us a very old, dark room in the 3rd floor - don´t stay there! The carpet was stained and everything was run down. But main lobby is very nice, people are also very friendly. And the location is really great. Hotel is located in the middle of florence, walking distance to the great historic buildings and shopping areas. Garage: The hotel has no own garage. On the other side of the street is a garage , but you have to pay about 35 EUR per day for parking.
I think the hotel needs a repair. At the moment the hotel has the typical Italien morbid charme. If you are not looking for a design/art hotel, but for a central Italien place for your stay in Florence, you are right here.

• Stayed: April 2006