1,160 results
All reviewsrooftop barastoria hoteltrain stationold palacesan lorenzobreakfast room isdecent sizeold world charmside streetfifth floorhotel is in a great locationpastriesmajor attractionsbeautiful roomhigh ceilingsaround the corneron foot
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just back, and I struggle as to what people do not like about this quaint old Hotel. It has a lovely history, and bang in the middle of Florence. We had a standard room, lovely and big, fantastic large very clean bathroom. Bedding changed everyday. We had the buffet breakfast, nothing to write home about, so if you are after a full English look elsewhere. Staff were excellent, and good English spoken. As for the roof terrace, it is a true sight to be seen, we had a drink in the evening and the view was just breathtaking. I have stayed in many, many hotel,s. I am sure you can say it may well be a little tired, but it has charm, and it is clean, and as for location just fantastic.

A note of warning we sat around the Duomo on our last night for a drink, I had my bag across my body for safe keeping, alas it was cut while we sat, and gone for good, although apart from my phone, and reading glasses nothing of value, so just be aware of how good they are .

I know the Americans we spoke to in the hotel, said they find it hard to come to Europe and not compare to the US, and they do struggle with the quirky and smaller hotel,s. For us we would return. It was only a five minute walk from the bus station, so for us all the boxes were ticked. I have to also ask, how long do people sit in a hotel room for? we were in and out as we did not want to waste a second of this lovely city.

If we were to return to Florence we would not hesitate to stay at the Boscolo again, a little gem in Florence.

3  Thank kizzwizz
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was a little nervous having read some of the previous trip advisor reviews, but I have to say my experience of it was very, very good. Our room was clean and roomy, a wee bit tired, but I would say that of most hotels in Italy, but it had everything we needed, including an amazing rooftop view of the city. I would go again for sure. The location was first class. I'm not sure why this hotel is getting such varied reviews. But in my opinion is was deserving of a 4 stars for sure.

Room Tip: Amazing trattoria opposite. Off the scale. Food and service.
2  Thank tinyevil
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Thought the staff was very cold and unhelpful. A true "chain" type hotel.
However, we had the best possible view ever of the Duomo city you could image.
Came home with bites. Am hoping it's mosquitos?

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor to make the cost worth your while!
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is quite simply the worst hotel imaginable, and I cannot warn you strongly enough to avoid it at all costs. We arrived to find that the appearance throughout bears no resemblance to the photos on the hotel's website: it is dingy, badly in need of renovation and refurbishment, and dilapidated. After taking the rickety elevator to our floor, we were shown (through halls with ratty and badly worn carpeting) to our room. It was the size of a closet, the carpet was dirty, and there was an overwhelming musty odor in the room. The bathroom was decades out of date and looked as worn and run-down as the rest of the hotel. The room was also very hot. The porter showed us how to operate the air conditioning, and yet after he left, we noticed only hot air coming from the registers. We went down to the front desk to ask about this, and were told that the air conditioning in the entire building had been turned off: the management had determined that the weather did not warrant it! We were not the only people complaining about the temperature at the front desk, and another guest told us, "good luck; the best you will get out of them is an offer to bring a fan to your room." It was especially frustrating that the air conditioning was not broken, but that the hotel simply refused to turn it on -- this despite the fact that the hotel boasts of air conditioning as one of the amenities. That was far from the only broken promise, however. The hotel is, quite simply, a dump. It was so bad, that we checked out without staying a single night and moved to another hotel. We could not even imagine staying any amount of time in a tiny, dirty, smelly, stiflingly hot room or having to use a filthy broken-down bathroom. The combination of a building in desperate need of refurbishment and renovation, the inflexible management, the hostility of the reception desk staff, and the condition of the rooms make this far and away the worst hotel we've ever seen. And they try to pass this off as a four-star luxury hotel! Maybe it was once, many decades ago. But today, it's a shocking dump that bears no relation whatsoever to the pictures or descriptions on the hotel website. In a word, the Boscolo hotel Astoria is appalling.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Yorg30
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 2 days on our way back to Pisa.
Hotel is approx 10 mins walk from the station (slow pace) and is on the edge of the main district. Main dome and Basillica is approx 10 mins walk and a further 15 min walk to Arno river.

Hotel is very clean and quirky old yet modern as much as it can be - staff all speak english and are happy and helpful.

You can get wi-fi in the lobby ONLY and this can be slow depending on how many users but generally is fine

We went there in May and although the weather was hot they had not yet started the air/con so it was a bit uncomfortable to start with but once we opened the window and they gave us a fan it was good.

Hotel is very centrally located for pretty much everything and has very old quirky lift that takes forever to get to the top - also you cannot get more than 3 people in each lift and there are 2 lifts so if you happen to arrive when a group arrives I would pop out for a cappucino :)

Room Tip: Room 315 on 3rd Floor you almost have your own balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple