Palazzo Gaddi
Hotel Lungarno(Florence)
$657
$634
1,095 results
All reviewsrooftop bartrain stationold palacebreakfast room ispainted ceilingsan lorenzodecent sizeold world charmside streettop floorlovely hotelmajor attractionsexcellent locationfour nightshotel staffpastrieshigh ceilings
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 3 days in Florence. We wanted a hotel within walking distance to the train station. This hotel is easy to find and just a 8 minute walk and off the main road so quieter. This is a hotel with lots of character and typical of buildings that are hundreds of years old. The area is safe and there are restaurants and stores on the same street. The bed was very comfortable. There is a safe in your room for valuables. The shower and bathroom was typical of most of the hotels that we have stayed in Italy - small and likely to get water all over. The internet is offered free in the lobby area, but was hit or miss. The leather market and farmers market is just further along the street and was a very interesting place to visit. Overall a very good, central location. We were able to walk to all of the major sites but also bought the Florence Card to get to a few outlying sites. My only wish was that breakfast had been included in the price because the breakfasts they offered started at 12 Euros per person and wasn't much.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarvelousGreenMtnman
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Ideal location as per other reviewers - easy access to other transportation is a plus. Central to all is positive asset. Staff was beyond helpful and generous with their assistance. Older but quaint....similar to 4 star in Barcelona or Athens. There is a sixth floor with panoramic view which you should not miss. My room was fine, however my cousin did not have a working air conditioner. Personally, it seemed like she should have been compensated for the problem, there was no remedy. The wi fi works in the lobby, which isn't really a deal breaker in my opinion. When visiting cities with years of rich history, one would not expect remodeled/upgraded facilities as construction would be cost prohibitive, and the cost passed on to the consumer. My advise is decide which features and amenities are mandatory for you and the type of travel you have planned. Not sure the upgrade was really an upgrade, not a huge difference, so maybe save money there. Would stay there again personally because we loved the concierge service, very helpful making calls to book tours and suggesting points of interest for a short 3 day visit. Breakfast was neutral, although the dining room is magnificent.

Room Tip: Request breakfast be included.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KerBro
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The good: great location, good service
the bad: our first room's bathroom flooded with water, the reassigned room was barely 100 sft (10m2) small, felt like a broom room and was in bad shape (see pictures), don't waste money on the 'deluxe' version, it is the same room - no difference!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank FlorenceTraveller2
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Perfect location when traveling by train - great access to the city and lovely sights of Firenze.

Lovely (but tired) lobby area, room just "OK" BUT the shower facilities were extremely poor. Handheld head not properly attached to wall... Water everywhere We asked them to fix it but we were simply given dry towels.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S M
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at the Astoria for 3 nights from 3rd September, in a standard room. Despite reading some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, I made the decision to go with this hotel firstly due to a good deal that they had but secondly because, being a city break, I wanted to stay in the heart of the city in a building with 'character' and history. All in all, I'm really happy with my choice of hotel and am surprised that this hotel doesnt rank more highly!

To put my review into context, I typically choose 4-star hotels and am pretty well travelled. As others have said on here, the rooms and hotel generally are in need of a touch-up of paint etc, but though a bit tired we found the room to be spotlessly clean and of a decent size. The bed was also really comfy and, with the windows closed, the room very peaceful. The decor was old fashioned but in a really nice way - it is a historic building afterall. And the location was absolutely fantastic - no more than a few minutes walk away from virtually anywhere in Florence, and a great view of the duomo from our room (402).

We didnt eat in the hotel other than for breakfast, which was fine (though some better coffee would have been appreciated, eg espresso or cappucino). The terrace of the hotel had a amazing view - unfortunately the bar there was only open on one of the three nights we were there (though it had been rainy on the first day, so I can understand not opening then) - it would have been nice if it was open more regularly though as it was a factor in my choice of hotel.

In summary, this isn't the best 4-star hotel you'll find, however it is set in a beautiful building in the very heart of Florence - the location is certainly 5-star! We had a great stay and I'll certainly be very happy to stay at the Boscolo Astoria next time I visit Florence.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple