WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of FH Calzaiuoli Hotel

FH Calzaiuoli Hotel
Ranked #58 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Centrally located with little complaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in January of 2011 on our tour of Italy. This hotel can't get any more centrally located; Calzaiuoli is one of the main streets in Florence. Steps away from the Duomo and other tourist sites; this is a great place to stay if you are a first time visitor. The only downside to this hotel for me was that we got stuck in a room which bathroom wall shared that of the kitchen, so every morning around 6AM we could smell breakfast being cooked.......got old very quickly! Had I known this when I checked in I would have promptly asked to be moved, but since this came to my attention in the morning it was hard to move. Our room was not on the main floor, so I thought it was odd that the kitchen was on our floor, but later I realized the dining hall was also on our floor......recommend asking for a higher floor!

The rooms were a nice size for european standards and clean. Our room faced the streets and we never heard street noise!

Despite our early AM wakeup calls via the cooking food in the nearby kitchen, the breakfast was one of my favorites in all of Italy. Plenty of meets, cheese, pastries, fruit etc.....

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends in the future, but definitely not our room!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

It was my great pleasure to have been a guest at Hotel Calzaiuoli for the past two weeks. The room was wonderful. I don't just throw that out as a compliment, I really mean it. It was very clean, the linens were fresh and crisp, and the hot water pressure was always sufficient. This is not something to be overlooked! The location, right in the heart of downtown Florence, was perfect and within an easy walk to the Duomo and all of Florence's famous art galleries and museums.

The staff is exceptional: Everyone recognized me by sight on the second day so when I was fetching my key at the end of the evening the manager knew which key to give me without my even asking. Similarly, at breakfast, the woman arranging everything knew the coffee I wanted and went to fetch it immediately on my entering the dining area, also without needing to ask. One evening when I had need of a fork, I called and someone brought one up to my room. (At other hotels, I would have been told to come downstairs to fetch one. This would have been okay too, but it shows your staff takes extra care to providing a good service.) On the two occasions when I needed laundry done, a brief mention at the front desk in the morning was enough to ensure pickup and have them delivered cleaned that evening.

In every respect the quality of Hotel Calzaiuoli was exceptional, save one: the Internet access was unacceptably poor. As a business traveler, connectivity to my customers and home office is critical. On several evenings, access was so bad that I connected (tethered) my laptop to my cellphone to utilize the Vodaphone data network service. I would be very happy to pay 5-10 Euros per day and have high-quality, reliable Internet service than to have free Internet service that is unable to meet my needs.

I hope you take these concerns in the spirit in which they are offered: that of a very happy resident of this facility for two weeks, but one who hopes for an even more excellent experience the next time I come to Florence.

My sincerest compliments to Hotel Calzaiuoli and its outstanding staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Unaizah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Gooood location ,,,,,, clean roooooooooom ,,,,,,,, staff is very nice and frindly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Breackfast is pooooor but gooooooooood
I like thisssssssssss hotel .
Wethar in Feb cold but nice
Thanks

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Loved this hotel! My daughter and I spent two nights at this hotel. You can't beat the location. It is right in the middle of great shopping, near the Duomo. We had a room overlooking the street. While noisy when the window was open, we loved the energy below. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh coffee and hot milk served soon after we sat down. Our room was beautifully decorated and the beds comfortable. Our bathroom was quite large. The front desk recognized us each time we came in and handed us our key without us prompting them with our room number. My only complaint was the old-style wall hairdryer. While I understand they are common in Europe, I personally hate them. I can't wait to go back!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nederbrakel, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

had not been treated so friendly in any hotel in Europe before! Trully great place with very pleasant, helpful staff. They answered our emails promptly and did everything to make us feel comfortable. Special thanks to Walter and his team! Breakfast was also very tasty, great choice, nice breakfast room. The bedroom was not very big but comfortable, bathroom clean...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrread2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We just returned after extending our stay a few more days at this very nice hotel (at a very good rate even though it was Fashion Week). The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. A full breakfast is included. As other reviews indicated, the location is perfect...only a few minutes walk from many historical sites.

Stayed January 2013
los angeles, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

we were visitng italy with my mother in law. normally my husband and i prefer to stay off the beaten path, in an old remodeled convent etc. but since she has trouble walking we had to be in downtown. the location of this hotel cannot be beat. it is smack in the middle of the duomo and piazza signora. a 30 second walk in either direction.

the rooms were nice, although the remodel seemed like it could be updated a little. breakfast was plentiful, service was courteous and helpful. overall a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: we faced the street, itàs a busy pedestrian walk way. i love being able to look down and see the duo...